Full time NP203 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time NP203 question

Hi Guys, long question for ya. I have a 1976 W200 that is full time 4wd and NP203 transfer case, not modified in any way from original. Testing the 4wd, I jacked the truck up so all 4 are off the floor. Started the truck, put Tcase in HI and transmission in drive. Rear wheels turn, fronts do not. Engage Hi-Loc, all 4 turn. Disengage Loc and front wheels stop turning. Shut engine off, put auto trans in neutral, Tcase in HI, turn front wheel by hand and front drive shaft turns but rear tires do not. Engage Hi-Loc and turn front wheel, rear wheels turn. I read the service manual and it states that the NP203 Tcase is supposed to provide drive to all 4 tires in HI with differential action between front and rear axles. Just wondering if the lack of drive to the front wheels in HI is a case of taking the path of least resistance to the rear wheels or there is something wrong with my Tcase. I have never done this test before so couldn't say if this is normal or not. I am wondering if the Tcase differential is missing parts as this unit came from a bone yard. It was in far better shape than my original Tcase but perhaps someone stole parts from it before I got it. Any thoughts?

You are correct, its likely taking the path of least resistance.

To confirm, do the first test again (all 4 wheels off ground, engine running, T-case in Hi). Only this time set the parking brake. The brake should place enough drag (resistance) on the rear axle to cause the power to go to the front.

Plus think about it. If someone removed parts from within a t-case, they likely would have left the remainder of it disassembled.

Your NP203 uses 30 weight engine oil, NOT ATF nor heavy gear oil.

Enjoy your W200!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
    X