Anyone put 5.9L Cummins in Power Wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

46 wdx power wagon

I reacently bought a 1946 WDX Power Wagon I tore it all down to just a rolling chassis then purchased an 01 Dodge 4x4 Cummins and im swapping the axles and mounting the motor tranny and transfer case already have motor mounted but looking for ideas help or advice

Comment

Originally posted by Goins8158 View Post
      I reacently bought a 1946 WDX Power Wagon I tore it all down to just a rolling chassis then purchased an 01 Dodge 4x4 Cummins and im swapping the axles and mounting the motor tranny and transfer case already have motor mounted but looking for ideas help or advice
      Do you have the whole 01 Dodge? You will need the whole engine harness and the computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ggg6 View Post
        Do you have the whole 01 Dodge? You will need the whole engine harness and the computers.
        That's true. You cannot get optimum engine management, for both power, performance and fuel economy, without the computer.

Comment

If any programming needs to be done you will also need the VIN# from the vehicle the engine and computer came from.

Comment

Yes I'm very aware of that and I have it and was planning on using it it will have everything the 01 had and yes I have the whole truck and will use anything I need off it to get me where I need to be

Comment

Just a question, Why not just build mounts and put the power wagon body on the 01 frame.
              If I had it do over again, not sure I wouldn't go that way.

Comment

I did think about going that route but in all actuality I wanted it to all be from 46 just the drive train newer and wanted to compliment it with a cummins. There is a guy here in town doing what you said its just a dodge pickup not the pw but I just thought how much cooler would it be to do the way I am so there for thats were im at. Is there anything you came across when you went going down this road I could look for in the future I might not be planning on? I would like to look at some pics if you have any or just any help id really appretiate it.

Comment

You bet, be glad to help anyway I can. main problem I had was the off set rear pinion, exhaust and the width of the inter cooler and radiator. you wont have to deal with the rear end issue but the rest are problems enough. I went in to most of the cures I found at the beginning of this thread. Main advice I have is if you are committed to this project cut out what is causing the problem. And make something that will work. The best thing about the old PW's is they are made of real steel and with a little ingenuity and a plasma cutter you can remake them any way you want. We fought the Exhaust something fierce where it comes out of the turbo finally just cut the firewall and floor out (where it was hitting) and set the cab and welded it back with some 1 inch strap and part of a PTO shaft shield. Also had to come up with a shifter I thought would look somewhat appropriate, A fancy chrome thing wasn't going to cut it, so went scrounging. A horse drawn disk provided a workable solution.
                  There are a bunch more pics on the dual rear output np205 thread.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks man I really appreciate it one thong I've found I know I'm going to fight and was wondering what you did was how you ran your steering it's a ways down the road but I'm always looking farther down the road at the next issue

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to answer, Haven't been on computer much with the holidays.
                      My Dad made quite a few modifications to the truck before I was born.
                      Power Steering and drop clutch/brake pedals among them so I can only speculate what the donor parts were.
                      Its hard to see from this pic but the power steering sector is mounted on the outside of the frame next to the winch.
                      Where the steering column goes through the fire wall was relocated to the drivers side to make everything line up. So the steering wheel sits slightly crooked in the cab. Nobody has ever noticed it.
                      The Drag link between the Front end and the steering arm looks to be homemade from 1 in cold roll that has had the ends welded to it.
                      I AM NOT!! recommending this to anyone!!
                      After 45+ years on the ranch it hasn't broke so it is probably tough enough. I personally wouldn't risk my life to find out how tough it is or isn't. But since it has always been ok so I am going to leave it. At least I was until I got to thinking about it.
                      My best suggestion is to try and get a rough idea from the pics and go scrounging.
                      I know we had a old delivery truck that Dad was always raping parts from for the power wagon but I hauled it to the junkyard years ago so I don't know what it was or if that was where he got the parts or not.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X