Where has my M37 been

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where has my M37 been

I know this has been done to death, but is there anyway to find out just where my old truck has been through out its life ?

In doing work on it sometimes required sanding body parts and as I sand I go through several different colors from OD Green to orange to red and even a metalic blue. Its a 1953 so I know she been around the block a few times but it would be interesting to know just where.

What is not clear?

This question is asked very frequently. I have tried to answer this on my Kempner Power Wagon Museum web site.

Click on http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/vehicle_history.htm

If you can tell me where my answer is unclear, I will try to fix it. I would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Paul Cook

Comment

OK Paul, I read your post . It is very informative on where and what numbers and info to look for on a truck. It also gives a good bit of information on how the info was delt with by the govt.

The problem I see is that it does not say anything about how to track a vehicle . Is there a govt site where the info might be found. I figure the DMV will not make prior civilian owners known but the US Govt may have records,,maybe. I guess thats a real big maybe.

PS. in the photo I love the guy standing right in front of the machine gun...

Comment

"Bumper Numbers" were a convenience

Bumper numbers were a convenience to the command that "owned" the vehicle. A primary function was to give the order of march in a convoy. See AR 850-5 for marking instructions.

"4X" on the right side indicated that the vehicle was assigned to the Fourth Infantry Division. "HQ" indicated that it was assigned to Headquarters Company. "4" indicated that that it would be the fourth vehicle in this particular convoy. "HQ 4" indicated that the Division, G4 (or the person performing those duties) would be riding in that vehicle. If the Convoy Commander determined that an officer in the "General Staff" should be riding in a "Jeep", a "Jeep" would be assigned to that officer and it would be "HQ 4". Its trailer would be "HQ 4-T". Normally, vehicles were parked in the Motor Park in the order of their Bumper Markings with the trailers parked behind their towing vehicle.

This means that the vehicles might be arranged for a particular mission with the bumper markings changed accordingly. Bumper markings were obliterated when a vehicle was transferred out of a Command. Just like Vegas, the bumper markings assigned by a unit stay at that unit. There were no other records maintained.

Owners of Former Military Vehicles that do reenactments portraying a particular unit normally will choose bumper markings to portray that unit. Owners who are not affiliated with a particular unit may choose markings that reflect the unit in which a relative or friend served. And some just pick random letters and numbers.

Those bumper markings are correct for my son, COL Steven Cook, who served as the G4, Fourth Infantry Division, on their most recent deployment to Iraq. In a conversation with Major General David Perkins, Commanding General, 4ID, I indicated that I would mark my truck to honor Steve and also remind folks at Fort Hood, Texas, of the long history of the 4ID at Fort Hood. (I live near Fort Hood and often drive my truck on post.) He concurred. Not many FMV's have their markings OK'd, even casually by someone in authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
          ....the US Govt may have records.....
          The short answer is no, the govt. did/does not maintain such a record keeping system, no way to know where they have been used or by whom...

Comment

Oh well, I was hoping there was but ,,

The only thing I ever found that showed any history of mine was when I took off the cargo bed. In one of the suport chanels burried in years of dirt and sand I found a leather helmet strap that still had the brass adjuster clamp on it. Both ends were torn. I wondered how it got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post

Bumper numbers were a convenience to the command that "owned" the vehicle. A primary function was to give the order of march in a convoy. See AR 850-5 for marking instructions.

"4X" on the right side indicated that the vehicle was assigned to the Fourth Infantry Division. "HQ" indicated that it was assigned to Headquarters Company. "4" indicated that that it would be the fourth vehicle in this particular convoy. "HQ 4" indicated that the Division, G4 (or the person performing those duties) would be riding in that vehicle. If the Convoy Commander determined that an officer in the "General Staff" should be riding in a "Jeep", a "Jeep" would be assigned to that officer and it would be "HQ 4". Its trailer would be "HQ 4-T". Normally, vehicles were parked in the Motor Park in the order of their Bumper Markings with the trailers parked behind their towing vehicle.

This means that the vehicles might be arranged for a particular mission with the bumper markings changed accordingly. Bumper markings were obliterated when a vehicle was transferred out of a Command. Just like Vegas, the bumper markings assigned by a unit stay at that unit. There were no other records maintained.

Owners of Former Military Vehicles that do reenactments portraying a particular unit normally will choose bumper markings to portray that unit. Owners who are not affiliated with a particular unit may choose markings that reflect the unit in which a relative or friend served. And some just pick random letters and numbers.

Those bumper markings are correct for my son, COL Steven Cook, who served as the G4, Fourth Infantry Division, on their most recent deployment to Iraq. In a conversation with Major General David Perkins, Commanding General, 4ID, I indicated that I would mark my truck to honor Steve and also remind folks at Fort Hood, Texas, of the long history of the 4ID at Fort Hood. (I live near Fort Hood and often drive my truck on post.) He concurred. Not many FMV's have their markings OK'd, even casually by someone in authority.

Ha Ha ha ,, I love the COOKIE SHEET. I have almost the same one under mine. My wife has never figured out just where it went....

Comment

The very best...

"When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

My drip pan is from AUTO TREND PRODUCTS, not Halmark, but it is the very best.

I can only wonder if your wife's cookies are "Uncommonly Good" compared to those baked by the Keebler elves who use butter, not 30 weight, on their cookie sheets.

My drip pan came from Walmart. I am 17 miles from Fort Hood. I take my trucks on post often and the young GI's get a kick out of seeing an old timer putting a drip pan under his old truck. I also got special notice at some local car shows from the show judges who were not only gear heads, but also were former Motor Sergeants.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
                  "When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

My drip pan is from AUTO TREND PRODUCTS, not Halmark, but it is the very best.

I can only wonder if your wife's cookies are "Uncommonly Good" compared to those baked by the Keebler elves who use butter, not 30 weight, on their cookie sheets.

My drip pan came from Walmart. I am 17 miles from Fort Hood. I take my trucks on post often and the young GI's get a kick out of seeing an old timer putting a drip pan under his old truck. I also got special notice at some local car shows from the show judges who were not only gear heads, but also were former Motor Sergeants.

Drip pan at Army Base or car show. Some places require a drip pan. I have to laugh at what goes on up here. We are in the midst of gas well drilling and if any of the gas well trucks drip it must be cleaned up ASAP. They worry about 6 drops of motor oil but not the tons radioactive and chemical laden waste water getting into everything.

Comment

Where has my M37 been

Most of them was on a lend / less program that went to V.F.D.. When the V.F.D. was done with it they are susposed to contact the DRMO where they got if from. If the government had no more use for it then they would send a release form. Once recieved then the V.F.D. can do what they wish to do it. So most likly it came from a V.F.D. auction or a DRMO auction. But with being painted O.D. Green came from the military. Being painted Orange could have came from Civilal Defence/Municipal air port and being painted Red most likly came from a V.F.D.. Also being painted Metalic blue could have came from a perivouse owner.

Hope this help and to research it you will have to start at the DRMO closes to you and work your way out to the V.F.D, C.D. and M.A.P. town ships as well as the DMV.

Later Joe
                    Last edited by lten1063; 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM. Reason: miss spelled words and incorrect phrasing

Comment

My 1953 M37 also went the route you mentioned.
                      It was not running and had been sunk in mud when I found it in Virginia, and I could see on the doors that it had been the "Spotsylvania County VFD Brush Fire" rig.
                      Those of you who are Civil War buffs know about Spotsylvania (County) Court House.
                      It's build card was not very insightful, compared to the civilian Power Wagon build card I have for my '52.

Comment

Working...
                      X