Timing cover seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing cover seal replacement

I am replacing the front timing cover seal on my 230 engine of my M-37, with the engine in the truck. Do I need to pull the timing cover off to replace the seal. I did a forum search for the seal # 6636. I am figuring I have to pull the radiator at the very least.
    Thank you,
    Rich Szklany

Rich: That is my next project on my 230. So I have not done it yet, but I am trying to learn as much as possible before I do it. I have bought a new timing cover gasket and double lipped seal from Rock auto. I also bought a speedi sleeve to put on it in case the shaft is worn. I'm about certain the radiator comes off. The books talk about an alignment tool for making sure the seal is centered, but I think everyone uses the pulley and then snugs things down. I've had the radiator out before, and from what I can tell pulling that will be the hardest part of this job unless you have a helper. I'm sure (I'm hoping) somebody will jump in with more hints.

Please keep us posted how it goes!

Wayne

Comment

Right now I am tying to procure the rear main seal and the
      timing cover seal. I had to buy the timing cover set to get just the crank seal.
      The numbers I got from the web site the are not getting me a seal only.
      I have the timing cover set coming from NAPA. It was almost double the price at Car quest. I was also told the rear main seal is not available. My engine is a 1951 230, it has the slide in seal on the rear. I received the bolt on rear seal.
      I had to return it. It always seems to be a fight to get the older parts! It is just frustrating. thanks for replying Wayne.
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Szklany View Post
        I am replacing the front timing cover seal on my 230 engine of my M-37, with the engine in the truck. Do I need to pull the timing cover off to replace the seal. I did a forum search for the seal # 6636. I am figuring I have to pull the radiator at the very least.
        Thank you,
        Rich Szklany
        Whatever you have to do to make the space necessary for you to do the work with the tools you have available.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Rock auto has the parts, or at least a good place to get part numbers!

Wayne

Comment

I have put in the Front main seal. The timing cover had to be removed, in order to get to the timing cover the front engine support has to be removed. The front main seal is installed from the back of the cover. I finished painting the parts I removed I just have to re install the radiator and the new coolant hoses.
            Rich Szklany

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Szklany View Post
              I have put in the Front main seal. The timing cover had to be removed, in order to get to the timing cover the front engine support has to be removed. The front main seal is installed from the back of the cover. I finished painting the parts I removed I just have to re install the radiator and the new coolant hoses.
              Rich Szklany
              Did you take any pics of the process? Would be nice to see!

Thanks,
              Clark

Comment

I did not take photos of the process. I really did not think of it.
                One thing I have to add is make sure the front crank seal does not have the oil slinger on it, it will hit the timing chain sprocket. My Fel pro set had the front seal with the slinger. I taped up the rubber and cut the slinger off with a fiber disc on my dremel.
                Rich Szklany

Comment

Timing cover seal

Rich-

This thread might be of some help to you!
                  http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=14115
                  Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                  2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Working...
                  X