Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Town wagon restoration/ modification project

Hi all,
    I bought a 61 TWPW project a couple months ago for motor and because I thought the body was cool looking. I'm working on a resto/mod of it. It currently has a Cummins 4BT in it. Here is my thread on 4btswaps.com :
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...own-Wagon-swap
    The body is pretty bad off at this point and I am looking for a new body at this point if anyone has a line on a non running TW so I can buy it and transplant the body that would be a great help.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Here is a link with all my pictures if anyone is interested:

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/Fi...er1/slideshow/

Comment

Bad body? let me show you a BAD body http://imageevent.com/ron55/1958townwagon Now this was a bad body. I wish you luck in finding a better body.
      Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to add specifics about the truck. I bought it in Colorado I believe it was originally from Arizona and a Forest Service truck. It is missing almost all the interior parts. Has rust in the roof, 80s sunroof, minivan rear floor with removable rear seat, LOTS of dents and thick bondo.
        Drivetrain is: Cummins 4bt/Holset HX35/NV4500/ NP205/ FF dana 60 rear/ Dana 44 front.
        These trucks seem to be very hard to find info about but I am committed to it and I will be frequently seeking advice here. Hopefully a lot of you can help give me by giving me your advice and expierence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
          Bad body? let me show you a BAD body http://imageevent.com/ron55/1958townwagon Now this was a bad body. I wish you luck in finding a better body.
          I have seen this picture definitely not bad compared to this But I do have rust around the whole roof seam. LOTS of Dents and 1/2-3/4" Bondo all over.

Comment

Not a lot of info out there but you've come to the right place. We can lend a hand on what you are looking for. As far as the body goes finding another western body in good shape may take some searching. Where are you located? I don't know your body skill set or tools you might have. Ask away on the questions you have. We're all family here trying to save all the Townies and Power Giants we can.

Comment

I can do the bodywork except paint. I just really do not enjoy body work I would rather fabricate parts. I just thought it would be easier to get a new cab the doors, driver fender hood and rear doors are good but the main cab has taken some pretty hard shots. I live in Colorado. Is there any rallys or meets around my neck of the woods? I have found networking is the easiest way to stumble across parts.

Comment

I too have been watching for clean town wagon bodies. Never any closer than 1000 miles from me. I search all of craigslist daily and do come across some clean looking southern bodies once in a while. I am pretty new to Town Wagons/Panels but have already accumulated 4 of them. I'll let my know if I see anything that looks like what you need. (As long as its something I don't need, Hahaha)

Comment

Originally posted by LFD270ben View Post
                  I can do the bodywork except paint. I just really do not enjoy body work I would rather fabricate parts. I just thought it would be easier to get a new cab the doors, driver fender hood and rear doors are good but the main cab has taken some pretty hard shots. I live in Colorado. Is there any rallys or meets around my neck of the woods? I have found networking is the easiest way to stumble across parts.
                  I've been doing bodywork as a hobby for 42 years and love beating out dents. Sanding not so much especially a TW. The best thing I've got is a Dustless Blaster that will take off every spec of paint, rust or bondo on a body. There are blasters setting up shop all over the country looking to clean your sheet metal. I'd go that route on your current body or whatever you find. As far as rallies go there is one in California but the grand daddy is the Iowa Power Wagon rally held in Fairfield Iowa every June. Great time with a family reunion feel. I've been going since '01.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydodgegeek View Post
                    I too have been watching for clean town wagon bodies. Never any closer than 1000 miles from me. I search all of craigslist daily and do come across some clean looking southern bodies once in a while. I am pretty new to Town Wagons/Panels but have already accumulated 4 of them. I'll let my know if I see anything that looks like what you need. (As long as its something I don't need, Hahaha)
                    4 wow Let me know if you find anything out west I am willing to make a road trip with my flatbed for the right price.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                      I've been doing bodywork as a hobby for 42 years and love beating out dents. Sanding not so much especially a TW. The best thing I've got is a Dustless Blaster that will take off every spec of paint, rust or bondo on a body. There are blasters setting up shop all over the country looking to clean your sheet metal. I'd go that route on your current body or whatever you find. As far as rallies go there is one in California but the grand daddy is the Iowa Power Wagon rally held in Fairfield Iowa every June. Great time with a family reunion feel. I've been going since '01.
                      I'm honestly scared what I will find once I get it blasted. What media do you suggest I use? It is on my bucket list to come to the Iowa rally one day. Do you know of any clubs worth looking into in the Colorado area?

Comment

4 wow Let me know if you find anything out west I am willing to make a road trip with my flatbed for the right price.
                        There is a clean 2 wheel drive one on the Dallas Texas craigslist for $4000. Item #4745738494. Been on there a while, probably be able to get it for less.

Comment

I'm honestly scared what I will find once I get it blasted. What media do you suggest I use? It is on my bucket list to come to the Iowa rally one day. Do you know of any clubs worth looking into in the Colorado area?
                          The Dustless Blaster uses ground glass and water as a media that will not warp metal. An additive is added along with the media to halt flash rusting and works excellently. Go here to find a company to blast for you http://dustlessblasting.com The units are not cheap and made for someone to go into the business themselves but it works so well. Check out the videos and see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydodgegeek View Post
                            There is a clean 2 wheel drive one on the Dallas Texas craigslist for $4000. Item #4745738494. Been on there a while, probably be able to get it for less.
                            Thanks, Do you have some kind of program to search all cities or something?

Comment

http://www.searchcraigslist.org
                              That is what I use. Found it with google. I just googled search all of craigslist and used the first search it listed. Works good, find all kinds of stuff.http://www.searchcraigslist.org

Comment

Working...
                              X