w-100 restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel compadibility

I found some wheels off a 2008 dodge 1500 they are 5 on 5.5 the lug pattern is right but im concerned with the offset being compadible with this townie i have (1963)

The rims have alot of backspacing so im a bit weary before i drop the cash on useless rims for my application. Anyone got the answer?

Also i want to replace the front shackle/hanger for my front leaf springs i cant seem to find one to replace the ones on there any link to one that will work would be appreciated.

Comment

I'm assuming these are wheels only? Find someone who has a set like these if you can and try them on the TW. Aside from that get out a straight edge and ruler to measure the actual backspace of the new ones vs the old. The real issue will be the fronts with the steering arc and possible frame/body contact at full turn of the wheels. Go to the TW list and sign up then ask the same question. Someone may have a set of the wheels in question on their TW. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tw-list/ This isn't a real active group but they know their Townies.

Comment

Any knowlege on the shackle? Its the one that holds the front of the front leaf springs. It looks like a big link from a bike chain. All the ones i can find are a different style more modern looking are these compadible?

Thanks for the link ron.

I got the fromt end almost buttoned up just a few more little parts we always forget to factor in. Want this front end finished so i can start dressing and painting my motor.

Its become a love hate relationship with my truck, if i was not the one who had to fix the aftermath, it would have bullet holes in it.

Comment

I've only worked on 4 wheel drive TW's and Power Giants so I'm not familiar with what you have. Post a GOOD clear picture of what you need, I have a great spring shop here in Ft Wayne that may have it.

Comment

Will do on the pic.

I gotta try that link you posted when i get home to ask the question my phone is smart but not smart enough i guess. I should shoot this phone too, i can only imagine what the glock 23 i carry at work would do to this thing. Im tempted to see but id want to video it and i need the phones camera to capture the carnage kinda a catch 22.

Comment

The TW list guys may be able to help with the shackle too since there are two wheel drive TW owners on there too. A good digital camera makes a big difference when you post the pictures. I've never had any luck with cameras on phones but then mine is just a flip phone for TALKING not taking pictures or texting. I have yet to understand why if you have a phone for TALKING why send a text back and forth? I know I'm old school with big thumbs.

Comment

I perfer textin its to the point. Im one of those people that hate talking on the phone.

Sorry about your fat thumbs... Bet your good at hitch hiking

Comment

Front end is finally complete i set the front end down last night. The wheels worked off the 2008 i had to get adapters for the bolt pattern but they also serve as wheel spacers so no issue with spacing on the wheel. Went with some pro comp shocks up front.

Ordered everything i need for the rear brakes today and rattle canned the whole truck black really did not need to but it gave me something to do on the day off. Truck looks good all one color and looks less of an eyesore when u look in the garage

Comment

few progress pics.
                    yes i know my garage is quite small.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Handling suggestion...

I had a '66 TW many years ago and I got tired of the swing and sway handling. I installed a front bar off a 70's Dodge Pick up with the cross-bar in back of the engine. Had to fab brackets and links to the axle. Made a huge difference so I finished it with an Addco bar in back for a 70's dodge van. Handling was like night vs day, cornered flat and precise not like the white knuckle factory set up.
                          DrPepper

Comment

Yeah im a bit curious about how its going to ride. Its all guess work on ride height and such since all the springs and parts on this thing were so clapped out. I expect it to ride like an old truck so anything beyond that will be a plus. Aim low and you wont be dissapointed. With the 17 inch rims the drum brakes look so cute and small, prolly will rear end someone.

I forgot there were air shocks on the back of the truck. I was cutting some bs wires that were wrapped around the rear bumper last night and the air line was in the bundle too. I screamed like a little girl when i snipped the line and the air shot out. those shocks held air for years sitting in a field on an indian reservation, im suprised.

I will eventually change out axels and go to disc brakes but i wanna get this truck on the road first.

Comment

Ride on mine was pretty good...

After I took the overload springs off the back so the suspension could move it rode good. Springs can be re-arched and centerbolts, bushings replaced. I have already pulled all 4 springs apart on my current 1957 TWPW, replaced the centerbolts and lowered it ~1.5" by moving spacers to the top of the spring. I already have the sway bars that will be going on my '57 TWPW, no long trips without them. The Gemmer steering box wasn't centered on my 1966 so steering was always loose. The drag link wasn't adjustable and I finally made plates and moved the axle ~1/2" forward. That centered the Gemmer steering box and the steering wheel play went away. Today you can have an adjustable drag link made for a reasonable price, search the Offroad websites for suppliers.
                              I swapped the original 318 in mine to a 383 and kept the NP435 trans. Put a 2:94 rear end in it and could go 100 MPH anytime I wanted, and cruise at ~2200 RPM. The low ratio rear turned granny low into a nice 1st gear and 4th into overdrive. Pulled a trailer from Calif to Florida twice. Worked sweet. I did my swap in the covered outside parking area of an apartment building in Culver City about 1973.
                              I think the brakes are 11"x2" drums (?) and are adaquate when set up right. I installed a booster under the driver side frame that was actuated by the stock brake cylinder. I also tried several types of linings and (at the time) an aggressive metallic lining was available, (Raybestos???) and it worked well.
                              Sold it with over 350,000 (est?) miles on it, went across country several times. Added a 30 gal gas tank to suppliment the 13 gal OEM tank in back.
                              Yellow paint, bucket seats and a shag carpet headliner. LOL
                              Never should have sold it.
                              DrPepper

Comment

Yea pepper i think the drums are 11"

Start adressing motor tomorrow, parts for rear drums are trickling in.

Comment

Working...
                                X