• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1963 d100

This thing is going to be sweet when it's done. Nice truck. Enjoy it

Comment

Leaf springs are a pain to locate.

Are all the brake components front and rear interchangeable?

Motor gets pulled Tuesday

I removed all the wood from the inside of the wagon still have to do the floor.

Found a cool note written in pencil on a pannel that read," this old dodge gave me shelter on my birthday 8/7/03 thank you"

I also found a small metal tag rivited to the body drivers side below the windshield wiper on the body where the hood covers when closed. It is the size of a fortune cookie message and says "1966" anyone know what this is or means.

Comment

There are a couple of places that will make you springs be prepared to shell out $$$. I'll have to look up the businesses.
        I can't say about the two wheel drives on the brakes but the wheel cylinders are different on W series.
        Be careful with the floor if it's not a real bad shape. Most likely the bolts will be rusted though. Cool note.
        All the Power Giants and Townwagons have those body tags but to my knowledge no one has decifered them yet.

Comment

Do all the body say 1966?

Been a non productive week, waiting on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ickety View Post

This place used to carry just about every suspension part. Good people and Mopar knowledgeable.

http://www.springsnthings.com/chrysler-suspension-parts

"1966" is a question for Ron, but 1966 was the last year for the Townie body style (although JimmieD has a very rare '67)

Looking at the exposed frame, I can confirm that it's on a Sweptline frame, post 1961, so the VIN seems accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by ickety View Post

If you are referring to the narrow body tag on the top of the cowl it usually starts with a letter. These tags have no real meaning on way or another as far as I'm concerned. The only real numbers you need are the frame and body tag numbers which are are on the door jamb. Some trucks have SERT tags which are for special equipment like a winch or other options on a truck.

Comment

Thanks for the great link norm.

I got leafs for the front, aftermarket kit that will give me 2 and 1/2 inches of lift in the front i also will be picking up a set of resivored shocks once i get the leafs on.

Feel like i have been slacking. Bummed fedex and ups are taking thier sweet *** time.

Hope you all have a good weekend

Comment

You're welcome, glad I could help. Post some pictures as you go!

Comment

Been a few days since i posted. Its been a bit slow at work so ive been trying to hustle up the bucks to get parts but its going slow.

I have however found time to hit the tedious stuff. Lots of wire brushing and sanding. Brakes in the front are done painted the drums and the backing plate, replaced shoes hardware and wheel cylinders. Need to drop the front axle beam to refinish it with a bit of love. I dropped the tie rod sleeve have the new tie rods but i think im gonna replace the sleeve as the one i have is pretty beat up. The drag link and all the other steering components will also be getting the new paint face lift as they seem ok and move smooth and are tight.

Motor still is sitting in place as i have yet to get a picker over to get it out of my way.

Question if anyone knows
                    This engine and tranny are from a 68 d100 pickup 383 motor and 4 speed manual transmission is anyone familliar with this setup? First gear i imagine is a granny gear? Am i going to have an issue on the freeway being wound out in the rpms cruising at 70 mph?

Comment

Sounds like you're into the dirty work fairly deep. A tip here is to replace the axle bolts if you remove the axle. They are stretched when pulled down and reusing them may cause problems later down the road. As for the road speed, your rear axle ratio will play a bigger role there. The 4 speed is probably a 420 or 435 the difference is the syncros across the gears. If you have a body tag on the door jam it should list the axle ratio if it's still the original rear end. I have 4:10 gears in my 64 TownWagon with a poly 318 and I can run 65+ if needed. Keep cleaning and painting.

Comment

Cleaning and painting has been my motto lately ron.

I was wrong need drag link. The axle bolts you speak of are the ones that go through the center of leaf spring into the top of the axle?

65 plus will get me run over on the highway out here in north county san diego the 15 freeway flows at like 80 mph.

Yes kinda deep into the dirty work. I just want to hurry up and finish the front suspension and front brakes.

Really trying to understand the reasoning behind the front wheel cylinder only having 1 piston coming out to apply pressure to shoe when the rear cylinder has 2 pistons. I will post pics later im already behind scheduel this morning

Comment

Comment

The bolts I was referring to in my other post are the U bolts around the springs to the axle. The center bolt holds the spring pack together and doesn't need to be removed. I would find u bolts before you drop the axle out of the truck just in case.

Comment

Lol i was wondering. Yea the ubolts are getting tossed the new spring pack has more leafs so the ubolts need to be longer. The dimensions for the leafs on the D100 are 24x24x2.5

Im excited, a little progress is not too far away

Comment

Been a minute since i last posted figured i would update the thread i am putting in insane hours at the new job. I got the new leafs they are pretty much installed pretty much just need to tighten snug everything i got it mocked in there to figure dimentions for the sake of figuring shock choice. Im going to throw a set or resivoured shocks from four wheel parts out here by me, not sure brand but they are going to be comperable to king products just without paying for king name. Im hoping the front end wont be to stiff since i upgraded the front leaf springs from the stock 1150 lb (what i read was stock rating) to a 1900 lb rated set. I figured heavier terrain tires coupled with the extra weight of the v8 over the stock slant 6 the added support was wise.

Ron i got the ubolt dimentions before i dropped the axel i found some long enough to accomidate the new leaf pack being thicker.

Pretty much most the front of the frame front cab mounts forward was prepped and heavily coated now in matte black and the firewall has been painted also. I gutted all the wires fro the fire wall since im rewiring the truck no need to have kept looking at them and they were in the way. I really shot myself in the foot doing the suspension before i pulled the motor the front end is lifter in stands too high so when i finally went to pull motor i couldent get the tranny off as the angle of the dangle is off. I could javk up the rear but it can wait for now.
                                Pics are all on my phone i have to upload later. Its coming along slowly but it is some progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X