64 D100 Town Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always use the right size hammer....

When I pulled out the crossmember on the Ramcharger I parted out I used a come-along (cable puller), and it worked great.
    As my Dad used to say, "don't force it, use a bigger hammer...!"

DrPepper

Comment

Yep , twin stick with a frame mounted bracket.
      Fortunantly I saved everything from the truck that I scrapped , except for the frame and body.
      So the T-case , all the mounts and running gear were just sitting there ready to go.
      I wish I still had the old frame to get measurements from , but I will just have to get them off of one thats already together.

A bigger hammer can work magic on most things.

Comment

Front Axle ?

I was wondering if the front axle being so far forward is a narmal thing on this generation of townies ?
        Ive looked at alot of pictures and it seems that some 61-66 TW's are and some arent.
        I would have alot more turning clearance with the tires if the axle was centered in the wheel well.
        The whole front assembley came out of a 64 W200 , straight bolt in swap.
        Mine just looks too far forward ?

Comment

I looked at mine today and it looks about the same as yours. I have cut and rolled one set of fenders on a TW to get 38's under it. I run 31" tires on mine with no problems. Just FYI on your fenders, I don't know if you do your own bodywork but I make and sell patch panels for those. Also on the rear wheel lips I use Utiline ( stepside) fenders to patch those perfectly.

Comment

[QUOTE=WARWAGON41;88331]

[/QUO love the chrome bumper, mine is just white, nice truck . steve

Comment

Ron
              Ive seen your work on line and I can say without a doubt that your a first rate body man !
              Would that be the awsome purple one with the 38's ?
              I noticed the tuck job on that one , looks great !
              The fenders seem decent enough that I dont really want to trim any for tires.
              I have the 33 12.5's one there just to move it around , on a 10" wheel with alot of off set.
              They rub alittle , with less off-set they should clear.
              I have a set of 315 MTR's that Im going to try on some 7" stock type steel rims.
              If those dont work I probbably try some 285's that Ive got.

I do most of my own body work simply becuse I cant really afford to pay some one that knows what they are doing.

Good to know about the utiline fenders , Ive got a bunch of extras with good lips.

My biggest hurdle is going to be the dent in the door , might need to find someone with a stud welder.

Just looking at all the sheet metal on a townie that would need blocked makes my arms hurt.

Thanks Steve !
              I think mine were originally white too , looks like they had them chromed .........a long time ago.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment WW41 I do what I can. I've dabbled in bodywork since high school. Yes the Purple People Eater is the one I chopped the fenders which was hard for me to do to good fenders. I didn't want to do a sawzall job on them like the originals had done. I run 235 75 16's on mine. As for your door a stud welder is one of THE greatest tools in bodywork. You might try popping it out from the inside but a few studs would do it. I wrote an article in the PWA on how to do the front and rear fenders. You might consider writing one on your conversion since there would be considerable interest in how you do it. Do me one favor please and do away with those horrible turn signal lights hanging off the sides of the body. I know they are original but I rewired my tail lights for all functions. A factory wiring diagram will guide you. Weld a plug in the holes. There are acres of sheet metal on a Town Wagon which is one of the reasons I call ours "Sandy". Seems like that's all I did was SAND. No envy here on that count. LOL

Comment

Ya those lights are something ....
                  I figured after I got the bulbs , lenses and bezels on the main lights I would just pull the top ones off.
                  Imagine my surprise when I figured out the blinkers are only in the top ones.........

I got inside the door with what tools I have but didnt have much luck.
                  Theres a crease right along the bottom that doesnt want to pop out , so I figured I would stop before I made it worse.
                  Once that comes out the rest of the dent should follow pretty easily.

She will never be a show truck , but the least I can do is smooth it up alittle and give it some kind of quickie paint job to slow down the rust.
                  Preferably a light color that dosent show off the wrinkles

Comment

thanks for this very inspiring page, i have a 62 townie that has been garage for 4 years now, after this recent project she will be getting some well deserved attention ,well thats the plan anyways. steve

Comment

Good luck with the project Steve !
                      You should put some pictures of it on here.
                      I always enjoy seeing what people are working on.

Comment

hi war wagon ,ido have some pics here someplace, i put them on a few years ago , just cant remeber when tho. are you the one with the 41 wc . steve

Comment

Yep .......well , I do have a WC12.
                          Another long overdue project.
                          I cant make up my mind which direction to go with it.

Comment

I wish my body was that clean.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD270ben View Post
                              I wish my body was that clean.
                              Ha Ha , thanks ,I wish mine was cleaner.
                              I also wish mine had a Cummins like yours , pretty cool rig you got.
                              That thing will be the ultimate expedition vehicle when its done.

I feel bad that Ive been neglecting all my Power Wagon projects for over a year now....... all my effort ,time and cash flow have been focused on my car to have it done by this coming summer.

Comment

Originally posted by WARWAGON41 View Post
                                Ha Ha , thanks ,I wish mine was cleaner.
                                I also wish mine had a Cummins like yours , pretty cool rig you got.
                                That thing will be the ultimate expedition vehicle when its done.

I feel bad that Ive been neglecting all my Power Wagon projects for over a year now....... all my effort ,time and cash flow have been focused on my car to have it done by this coming summer.
                                Funny thing the Cummins I bought the truck for the drivetrain and fell in love with the body. Can't beat a 61 that gets mileage in the mid 20's. Can't wait to see your project progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X