No announcement yet.

65 townie body work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need my article, you need to write one. Great looking job on the patch which I've done just like that. You have to love the panel flanger and mig not to mention the Clecos. One minor thing you may want to do on the next one is trim your patch a little smaller than the outside edge of the flange. This will give you more to weld to and leave more weld after grinding. Must be nice in a way to work outside like that. Hope you didn't get to many hot ones in the lap. Did you use regular filler or with fiberglass like Duraglas? The Duraglas has less chance to crack at the seam and is waterproof if there is any chance of a pin hole to let water in. Nice photography too.

Comment

I think I made a couple of mistakes and may have to grind out the body filler.

I primed the metal before I put the body filler on and I did not use water proof filler over my weld. Of course I read about these thing being wrong after I did the work. Anyway, better to find out now than after I paint.

Comment

Hi - new to the forum. What do you call the tool you used in the first picture in post #14?

Comment

That is a flanging tool

Comment

Thanks! I should be picking up my TW this weekend, so I have been trolling. I'll post some info once I get it home.

Mark

Comment

Inside paint

Got back to work on the TW last week after taking several months off. I put a patch in the right rear fender well. welded and body filled it. Sanded the epoxy primer, the whole thing, then sprayed on a primer surfacer. Then today I painted the inside of the tub and the firewall

Comment

Looking good, looks like Ponchatrain Green from the pictures. Are you using a single stage paint? Should have went the little extra and painted the rest of the sidewall. At least it has primer which is more than the factory did back then. Nice paint booth you've got there too.haha. Way to cold to do that here. Keep it up and it'll be ready for Iowa come June. I might have to get Sandy spruced up to keep up with you. Hey I just noticed that there's a big honkin' hole in your roof.

Comment

paint

It was supposed to be the '65 pine green paint. Doesn't quite look like it to me either. Yes there is a sunroof. I decided to leave it. I can't wait to get the tub back on the frame so I can do something other than body work. Put in heater, steering column pedals, wipers, gauges, windows, which by the way I am looking for the sliding window frames. Anyway it's great to be making progress again.

Single stage paint. Also I think I will wait to paint the outside until I have it all put back together. Then I will probably rent a paint booth to do the final outside paint.

Comment

The only thing that's a bigger PIA than sanding a TW is installing the side windows. When you get ready I have detailed instructions I can forward. I'd also cut in the windows before you install them so everything gets painted under the rubber. What you getting tired of bodywork already? LOL There is a LOT of surface on a TW. I used Napa Crossfire single stage on two trucks now and it holds up very well. The price has gone up like everything else. One of these days we won't be able to paint our own due to the treehuggers. End Progress Altogether aka EPA just shut down a father and son shop that did my sandblasting for painting semi trucks. The father is going to try to stay open to do blasting yet, he works super cheap and does a good job.

Comment

Ron,

I do like the bodywork, but I like variety too, and since the tub has been off the frame, body work is all that I have been doing. I have been using ppg paint.

I will be asking for those window installation instructions as soon as I find my window frames.

I've been doing all my own sandblasting, as you know, and a neighbor did call the police out one day, because of the dust, but by the time the police arrived I had already finished for the day, so nothing came of it.

Comment

new floor pan pics

Just wanted to post up the floor pans that I made. The old ones were really rusted out badly.

These new ones look great after having painted them.

Comment

The floor looks excellent and I see you did the custom hammer formed body mount pockets. That's the only way I've done them to by welding and hammering into place. Did you use an etching primer and are you undercoating over etching primer on the bottom side? I have a 58 PG cab with factory undercoating that's flaked off in spots. The metal looks like brand new, if only the rest looked like that. It didn't make sense other than for the floor mats to terminate to have that raised lip at the foot well. I think it would have let any water drain to the step rather than trap it under the mat. Oh well. Thanks for the update with the pictures. Gordon needs articles for the magazine and this looks like a good article in the making. And you don't need to wait until the truck is done either. Play by play works well in helping others with their projects.

Comment

Yes I used and etching primer, well epoxy primer after I sandblasted, Then I did the body work, then I primed the whole thing with a primer surfacer, and did some more minor body filler work, sanding and then paint

Comment

before picture of 1965 townie

Here are a few more before pictures.

Comment

Brake lines

Where is a good place to get brake lines, hoses, flangers, benders etc. and which are the best and easiest to work with?

Darryl

Comment

Working...
                                X