61 Town wagon restoration/ modification project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
    I made the headliner for the 58 Townwagon I restored this year from the remains of the original headliner I used as a pattern. I've made a number of pick up headliners and door panels with the correct vinyl edging sewn on the edges. The headliner is held in place with metal strips and plastic cap strips running front to back and one side to side above the rear of the front seat.
    I would love to see pictures of the inside some time I have not been able to find good pictures of the whole interior. I have found a bunch of dash Pictures but that is pretty much it.

Comment

Blower Motor conversion

My 1961 makes a racket and doesn't exactly blow to modern standards. So I was at the Junkyard and I found a Blower for a late 90's Honda that the fan was about the same size. I removed the old rusty blower.

Then I traced the the outline of the fan on the heater box and cut it out with a skill saw.

Comment

continued

Then I slid the new blower in and marked for the mounts.I used bolts and nuts to make studs for my mounts. I had to use washers to space out the blower so it did not contact the blower housing.

There was a 1/2" gap between the fan housing and the heater housing so I used some household 1/2" foam gasket and automotive gasket adhesive to fill the gap.

The last step is to wire the fan into the old harness make sure you check the fan with the polarity each way to see which direction blows the hardest.

Results are the heat blows at least 10 times harder.
        (For reference I have also done the exact same thing to my 72 FJ40 with the same result)

Comment

Nice fix.

Comment

just arrived home from AZ with a donor Town wagon to cut up. 1,820 miles in 32hrs. If anyone needs parts for a 60 TW or front clip for a Power giant hit me up.

Comment

Cool. How did the trip go. The truck in descent shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Andydodgegeek View Post
                Cool. How did the trip go. The truck in descent shape?
                Pretty good had to re-seat the bearings on my trailer outside Tucson. It is a good donor but would be a bad restoration starter. It is pretty incomplete but the spots I need to cut out for patch panels are all there and straight.

Comment

What do you guys think of my new bumper? I know it is not very OEM. I tried to keep it as tight to the body as possible.

Comment

I like it. Simple and effective. I may do something similar. The only thing I would add is a 2" receiver for moving trailers around the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydodgegeek View Post
                      I like it. Simple and effective. I may do something similar. The only thing I would add is a 2" receiver for moving trailers around the yard.
                      Thanks, I am still undecided if I will cut a triangle of the bottom of the wings to make the bumper look less bulky.

Comment

Looks pretty good I would suggest rounding over the edges and corners to soften the look and in case you bang into it. It looks from the picture that the corners of the fenders are very close to the bumper. This is my 64 TW with a bumper made by a friend who owns a company with a lazer cutting table. He made this from one piece of flat stock plate that was cut, folded and welded. He also cut out the DODGE and the holes to mount it. I added the D rings. It doesn't stick out on the ends as it appears in this angle. My stock bumper bent when I bumped into a small tree so it got replaced. no problems now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                          Looks pretty good I would suggest rounding over the edges and corners to soften the look and in case you bang into it. It looks from the picture that the corners of the fenders are very close to the bumper. This is my 64 TW with a bumper made by a friend who owns a company with a lazer cutting table. He made this from one piece of flat stock plate that was cut, folded and welded. He also cut out the DODGE and the holes to mount it. I added the D rings. It doesn't stick out on the ends as it appears in this angle. My stock bumper bent when I bumped into a small tree so it got replaced. no problems now.
                          The picture doesn't show it very well but the bumper has 2" of clearance at the body corner. From the rear edge of the c channel to the body is 7" leaving 10" from the inside to the front crossmember. Your bumper is the look I was going for.

Comment

UPDATES! I have been working on several things:
                            I finished the bumper

Cleaned and installed the rear seat

and removed the rear P30 fuel tank I will be replacing it with a new one of the same dimensions. This one has lots of leaks and had 20 gallons of water/coolant from a failure in the veggie oil system.

Comment

Nice bumper, and nice Townie!

Comment

Couple updates:
                                I have been doing several things in preparation for the winter. I stiffened up the transfer case shifter linkage.
                                Bought used 17" 2012 ram rims and mounted my tires from my 3/4 ton on it they have 40% life left and will probably last a couple years on the town wagon.

Tires 315/70 r17 I also did some cosmetic things like put on the badging.

HELP NEEDED where is the best place to get a complete bearing and seal kit for a closed knuckle dana 44 front?????? Just the tubes out no carrier parts needed

Comment

Working...
                                X