DrPepper's 57 TW PW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrPepper's 57 TW PW

Got a couple of things done and finally drove it out of the garage under it's own power. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move...then realized the transfer case was in neutral, LOL. The truck has no fenders, grill or hood installed, just the radiator and engine out in the sun. Drove it in low range up to the street and headed to the corner to turn it around. Stopped to let a car go by and... they stopped, Dad and 2 teenage girls. All eyes are on me in this thing, I smiled and waved them across, he sloooly drove across with one girl hanging out the window taking pictures with her cell phone. Made a U-turn at the corner and took it back to the garage, on to the electrical and remaining stuff.

I keep adding pix to the Photobucket site to view.
    http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Big thanks to Ron in Indiana, your steering column is perfect, modified it to fit the power steering from the Ramcharger and it works super. Smoooth and easy like my Dakota.
    This project really is two steps forward and one step back.
    Enjoy,
    DrPepper

Dr Pepper, glad to hear it worked out for you. Looks like some real engineering involved in making everything work as planned. Are planning to keep the Omaha Orange and Arctic White paint scheme? There is SO much sheet metal to sand on one of those, been there twice. Things are good on this end.

Comment

Omaha Orange and Arctic White will stay...

Took a while to get me but I really like the orange and white color combo and want to retain as much or the original 1957 look as possible. I am not looking forward to the paint prep and the actual painting will have to be done by someone who has a paint booth and equipment. I got quite a song and dance about "primer compatability" from the guy that painted my last truck. I think it was partly to make sure he "got paid for the whole job". I may ask about how you prep when you know it's going to be a while until things go to final paint.

I'm trying to document the major upgrades, steering, engine and brakes so far, and then give the whole thing to Gordon to use if he likes. Funny I still can't get a picture posted on these threads...??? That's why Photobucket works so well for me, drop a link and run.
      Glad to hear all's well, take care.
      Art aka DrPepper

Comment

Art I'm glad to hear yours is driving even if just a little, does wonders for ones morale. You have to come by and we can take mine out on the road before the snow flies. I have only driven mine in my yard. I agree keep yours the original Orange/White paint colors it looks good and it's not common, not that a town wagon in any color is common.

Comment

What's the story on this truck? Up and running? Where is it at now days? Really like these 57 TWPW.

Comment

Not where I wish it was...yet

Unfortunately I have been side tracked by work and life, for now it will not allow a hobby.
            The TW PW is in the garage waiting for next summer to get the axles changed. I gave up on the original 6 bolt axles and will be installing '87 W100 axles. Rear will be easy but the front will reqire some planning for spring mounting. I haven't talked about it much, figure there will be some howling about keeping the original...original. My view has become, when I'm done I would like to drive it further than 50 miles from home. And after searching for 2 years for a brake drum... enough is enough. It doesn't have the original engine, that was hacked by a previous owner. It now has a 1987 318, plenty of go, but no brakes because I still have a brake drum that refuses to come off.
            That's where it is... on hold for the time being.
            DrPepper

Comment

I totally understand wanting to be able to drive it with a more modern drivetrain, I have a 1947 dodge that I never take too far of a drive with for the same reason. Not sure if you saw my thread but I'm doing kind of the same thing. Putting a 57 Town Panel on a 91 W250 chassis. Hope to see your truck someday, I really like the 57's.

Comment

Dr Pepper I just had a tough 1958 1/2 ton drum that didn't want to see things my way. I finally got it to see things my way after enough heat, wax and the business end of of BFH. It took quite a bit of heat but we got it off but not without needing a die to clean the threads on the end of the axle. I know you've had a real time trying to get yours off. Is there much difference in the width of the new axles compared to the old ones? Hope it all comes together for you.

Comment

Did the research first....

Wheels will be within an inch or two of stock. Axles came with some slotted aftermarket wheels that need a sandblast and coat of paint.
                  Difference is spring width and placement. The 57's are 1.75" and the 87's are 2.25"(?) wide. Rear is no problem to weld new pads on. The front has the right side pad cast into the pumpkin and it cant be changed. Also I need to relocate the springs outboard about 2.5" on each side.
                  Looking at options.
                  Got the door locks out and need to get them shipped to your Locksmith. One was held in with a cut out beer can. Gotta love quality workmanship. LOL

DrPepper

Comment

on the front I swaped over to w200 hubs off a 68 you don't even need the spindle just the hub and brake drum now you have a 8 lug front

Comment

I forgot you use the 57 wheel bearings

Comment

front axle

Dr. Pepper,
                        If you had access to a complete,Dana 44, 6 lug front axle(hub to hub) for the cost of shipping from WA.state, would you be interested? I don't know what the ratio is, or condition of 3rd member. It's a salvaged take-out.

Comment

Thanks oneton, but no...

I may have given the wrong impression. Front axle is great, new brakes, Free-Wheel assemblies are in perfect shape. The issue is a rear axle brake drum won't come off. I know how it is supposed to come off (not the first one I've removed) but the tapered hub to shaft connection is not giving up. Yes, the center nut is loose..LOL. I constructed a hydraulic ram puller (supposed to be 12 tons) and crushed the bolt in the end of the ram. Wax, every "liquid wrench" product I know of, heat (oxy-Acy till it smoked)...still hasn't come loose. Meanwhile I've been looking...
                          What changed my mind is the total lack of availability (2 year search now) for front or rear 6-bolt drums. The Dana front and 9.75 rear differentials are fine but when I get it on the road if I bust a drum in Iowa...it would be nice to go to any auto store and walk out with a new one, same day for a reasonable price. 8 bolt axles and drums are available but the 5 bolts are everywhere, new and inexpensive. Since I'm not going to take it wheeling and don't have the facilities to remount the body on a new frame, this axle swap looks like the best option for me.

You may consider offering the front hubs and drums for sale. Check the ID on them to see that they are usable.

DrPepper

Comment

Thanks

for your reply. I goofed up in thinking it was your front axle brake drum givin you fits. We have even talked about this before, just a couple of years ago. Best of luck with whatever your choice is!

Comment

I bought both front and rear axles from DrPepper last year and they have just been sitting on my garage floor. Today I had some success!!!! I just got both of the brake drums off of the rear axle!!!! A huge thanks to Ron for borrowing me his puller, made the job pretty easy. About an hour of work I have both drums off and the threads on the one axle repaired. I can't figure out how to post pictures here but I will try. I see a new puller in my future.

Comment

Working...
                              X