Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins 2.8

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Reading and studying this engine has me quite interested. Weight, Horsepower and Torque all being a factor. The price at 9k is a little high but how much is a crate V8 with all the goodies? Thoughts anyone?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

I love that Cummins is doing this program. It's a great motor for a lot of things (though let's be honest it's mainly aimed at Wranglers and similar sized stuff).

From a PW standpoint if you never wanted to go faster or do more than the original PW this would be a fine swap, but if you're trying to build a truck to do 70mph then I think this is too small.

However what has me most excited about this program is that they have all but said if this is successful they can/will expand to offer other engines in this program. All signs point to the next engine in this program being the 5L V8 diesel they're using in the Nissan Titan and that engine would be a perfect candidate for a Power Wagon.

The guys at "Dirt Every Day" have been partnering with Cummins showing off the 2.8 in a few videos. They did a build where they used a commercial version of the V8, but they also had a short video with the Cummins guys talking about the 2.8 crate engine program and seriously trying to get them to say they were going to sell the V8 (I think it was even in the video).

I really think they'd be stupid not to do it either, the market for restoring 60-80s 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Chevy/Ford trucks is huge (let alone us Dodge guys), and this engine is perfect for those applications. Maybe by the time my Power Wagon is ready for it's next restoration...

Comment

Underpowered for anyone looking to do more than putz around the farm. The ISB 3.9 is a great fit, albeit small for running down the road with a loaded trailer at 60mph. The 5.9 works great in mine, but it's a very tight fit.

The partnership with Fred really pushed the 2.8 as a conversion engine for the Jeeps, which I think is a great application for them.

Comment

Jeeps, early Dakotas, or any of the little trucks would be great canidates. I had to sell my little 50, my Comanche and Cherokees, and my Dakotas when we moved to town..

Comment

http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/

These guys are working with Cummins and will be doing a Power Wagon very Soon.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Which decade PW ?
            40's, 50's or 60's ?

Comment

I believe it is a 55 they are doing the swap in.
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

The 2.8 litre engine comes stock in a Ford F350 down in Brazil and other places in South America. So what is the weight of a 2018 Ford F350?

Comment

It has got to be over 7,000 pounds I would think.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                    The 2.8 litre engine comes stock in a Ford F350 down in Brazil and other places in South America. So what is the weight of a 2018 Ford F350?
                    That wouldn't be a good justification for using the 2.8.

Such an engine is pretty useless in such a heavy truck. Poor decision on Fords part.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor'Easter View Post

That wouldn't be a good justification for using the 2.8.

Such an engine is pretty useless in such a heavy truck. Poor decision on Fords part.
                      I'd have to disagree. My best friend has a rather large sprinter van that he has loaded to the hilt with electricians gear and runs around nearly at gross weight all day and it only has a 2.2 Turbo Diesel and that thing gets along fine. I'd be interested in driving one of the trucks. And I thought it was the F-250 that got the small Cummins engines. I know they were offered with the 205 hp version of the ISB170 for a while.
                      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

From the guys that I have spoke with in reference to this engine, the numbers that Cummins are releasing with it as far as horsepower and torque are quite low. The different Tunes, so to speak really wind this engine up.
                        i will be interested to see how this engine progresses. Many M Series and Power Wagon owners are going to do this install. It should not be long before someone gets theirs finished.
                        1967 W200.aka.Hank
                        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

We were at the local "auto show" a month or two ago and they had a Mercedes conversion van, nice vehicle but it had a 2.0 liter turbo 4 gas engine and I couldn't help thinking how under powered it would be, but with the right transmission it's probably fine. Remember our legendary Power Wagons got by with 100 hp too, they just did it slowly with lots of gearing. Most of those contractor vehicles don't need to go too fast or too far, so a smaller motor geared lower is a great option. **** many of the V8 motors and even some V6s will shut down half the cylinders at most highway speeds since you just don't need that much power to cruise.

I really wish the 4.3:1 axles VPW is teasing had been around when I built mine, it would be just about right for my setup. Unfortunately I'm not in the financial position or mood to re-do both axles again. Maybe someday.

Comment

When I spoke with the guys at Axis http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/ they said that the transmission behind the 2.8 and the final gearing was the key to making this engine perform to its peak ability.
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
                              When I spoke with the guys at Axis http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/ they said that the transmission behind the 2.8 and the final gearing was the key to making this engine perform to its peak ability.
                              Especially with a diesel engine. The power band is so narrow, even on something modern and smaller like the 2.8 I'd be surprised if it spins much past 4000 rpm. My 4BT is governed at 2300 and is happiest at around 1800. Really the turbo doesn't provide much help till about 1200 rpm, so I now understand why big trucks are so slow to get moving. Don't get me wrong, in that 1000 rpm sweet spot it feels like the hand of God pushing you, but it's brief and hard to stay there with the NV4500, especially with that big 2-3 drop they have. It's also why you're starting to see 10-speed transmissions in most cars and trucks now.

Comment

Working...
                              X