52' B3 2nd series bed strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52' B3 2nd series bed strips

I'm in the process of mocking up a complete bed kit from Mar-K and noticed 2 of the bed strips have holes that don't align with the cross members. Hopefully you can see in the picture the first 3 strips (from the bottom) align and the next 2 are to the right. Just seems odd 2 strips would have offset holes that dont attach to cross members. My original bed was trashed so don't know if those two strips are located somewhere specific.

Here's another pic of the bed. You can see the 3rd and 5th set of holes, from the back of the truck, are offset.

Looks like a defect to me

Comment

Originally posted by AK3936 View Post
      Looks like a defect to me
      X2 I ordered from them and they were all the same.

Comment

I've been searching the web for pics of a 52' bed. I found one with the bed strip hole locations like they sent me. Looks like they evenly spaced them but still cant figure out why it's like that. I called Mar-K and the lady said there is a note in the computer that two of the strips have different hole locations. She couldn't tell me why or where they go on the bed. I think it would look a lot better if all the holes lined up.

Comment

Looks OK to me

Just got done doing my bed. I think what you have is correct. Am hoping these pictures help. Two of the cross members have alternating holes.
          Attached Files
          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Tim,
            You are correct, alternating holes on two strips is right.
            I think it matches the hat channel hole pattern.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Tim, they help. I'll set the strips like the photo and see how they align. Another "issue" I'm having is with the set of reproduction cross members. Appears they are for the beds with 8 pieces of wood and 7 bed strips (3rd series?). There are 7 holes drilled in them and they sure dont look like Tim's pic. It's really no big deal drilling new holes, but want to make sure everything is correct first.

Went down to Southern Indiana and bought a repo 2nd series bed from Matt Tisdale (that's where I got cross members), also tailgate from Classic Enterprises and all the other goodies from Mar-K. Are there any "surprises" I'm in for, or any other advice you could give that will keep the frustration level down?

Also, I cant say enough about Matt Tisdales operation! That guy has it going on, cant wait until he finishes and unveils his newest project (heads will roll). He's also a great guy to deal with!

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe the second series bed had 7 boards. The photos posted are of a first series bed.

Frank

Comment

This is a confusing subject because Dodge changed the bed sides and tailgate design with the introduction of the "2nd series" in '51, but did not change the bed floor at the same time. That took 2 more years.
                  The early second series beds, '51 and '52, are just like the first series as far as the bed floor and number of boards.
                  These early 2nd series trucks are also just like the 1st series as to the cut out area with a plate to access the fuel tank sender, and the center hinge. By that I mean the hinge is "let in" to the center two boards by cutting a recess for it.
                  I believe, but am not certain, that in '53 the bed floor was changed to the "late second and third series design.
                  In my avatar photo of my '52 Power Wagon's bed, you can see the access plate and center hinge. I have a larger photo on my other computer but am away from home now.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm glad you chimed in Dave! Was hoping to see larger photos of your bed in the avatar. I'm really wishing I would have received the late 2nd and 3rd series wood and strips. Cant fault Mar-K because they technically sent the correct parts. I'm not sure I'm going to cut in access to the sending unit. It wasn't too bad unbolting the straps to drop the tank and how often do I need access to the sending unit? Maybe you can talk me into cutting access LOL. Thanks for the help.

Whats funny is I had a 3rd series bed on the truck. I thought it was 100% original.

Comment

Well, I'm fairly confident I can live with the bed strip hole locations. I'll have to cut corresponding holes in the cross members but that is fine.

Came to a "hick-up" today mocking up the bed panels. Everything fits great except the rear cross member (valance) below the tailgate. Wondering if anyone had to cut 1 5/8" off the bed wood and strips to get valance to fit? Thats the only way I see this piece bolting on. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

I would have to cut 1 5/8" off to get valance and brackets to bolt to bed sides. I dont have a pic of the reproduction valance but there is a lip that the wood butts up against.

Comment

You are doing a nice job!
                        I am out of the country right now, but when I get home in a week I'll look At my truck closely. The gap you show has me wondering???
                        I'll look on the archives here and see if I can post the avatar picture blown up.

Comment

Over the last 6 years now I have had to twice have the fuel tank sender repaired (poor design back then - breaks down over time).
                          So, that access hole and plate has been big help. Something to think about.

Comment

Ammo, you have found another variation to the problem that Doc Dave was describing. Not only is the board width and layout different between early and late 2nd series beds, but the board length is different also. The first series and early 2nd series beds have boards that reach all the way to the tailgate. The late 2nd series beds have boards that stop short of the tailgate at that rear sill.

You can see two photos comparing the differences in my photos on t137.com. Thanks to Phil Street for hosting:

http://www.t137.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=17

Junior

Comment

Clint,
                              Short of Ammo having to get new boards, could he use a late 2nd series rear valence here to work with the shorter boards?

Comment

Working...
                              X