Rear fender poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear fender poll

A vendor is interested in knowing which rear fenders are of greatest interest to Dodge owners; first, second, or third series bed fenders.

First series: 1946 to 1950 [Bed has four, large stake pockets per side, accepting 2X4 stakes.]

Second series: 1951 to early 1956

Third series: later 1956 and up

At the suggestion of Tom Petroff I have created a poll for owners of 1-ton Power Wagons to indicate their interest, so plans to manufacture reproduction sheet metal can be based on best information available. It sounds like a great project.

If you have trucks from more than one series, answer the poll based on your greatest need. This will inform the vendor as to the best path to follow.

I would also like to get some photos for this thread to highlight the differences in the beds. If you have a good photo showing important detail and can't post it, send it to me.
    Series 1 [1946 to 1950 approximate range]
    40.57%
    Series 2 [1951 to early 1956 approximate range]
    26.42%
    Series 3 [later 1956 & up approximate range]
    33.02%
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Not to confuse the issue, but.....

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
    A vendor is interested in knowing which rear fenders are of greatest interest to Dodge owners; first, second, or third series bed fenders.

First series: 1946 to 1950 [Bed has four, large stake pockets per side, accepting 2X4 stakes.]

At the suggestion of Tom Petroff I have created a poll for owners of 1-ton Power Wagons to indicate their interest, so plans to manufacture reproduction sheet metal can be based on best information available. It sounds like a great project.

If you have trucks from more than one series, answer the poll based on your greatest need. This will inform the vendor as to the best path to follow.

I would also like to get some photos for this thread to highlight the differences in the beds. If you have a good photo showing important detail and can't post it, send it to me.
    Each bed series has major differences withing that series. Each series has an early version and a late version within the series. The fenders do not vary between the early and late versions within each series, but other parts of the beds do.

Basically, there were six different pickup beds used during the lifespan of the WDX-WM300 model Power-Wagon, seven if you want to include the rare driver's side spare tire option to the 1st series bed (they changed the bedside to clear the additional spare tire).

Also, the bed we commonly refer to as the "1st series" did not end in 1950. It was carried over into the first half of the 1951 B3PW model run.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
      Each bed series has major differences withing that series. Each series has an early version and a late version within the series. The fenders do not vary between the early and late versions within each series, but other parts of the beds do.

Basically, there were six different pickup beds used during the lifespan of the WDX-WM300 model Power-Wagon, seven if you want to include the rare driver's side spare tire option to the 1st series bed (they changed the bedside to clear the additional spare tire).

Also, the bed we commonly refer to as the "1st series" did not end in 1950. It was carried over into the first half of the 1951 B3PW model run.
      Good job, Clint. I was hoping you would come along.

How should I modify the poll language? Also, am I to understand there are six beds, but only three fenders? By your remarks it is certainly possible for someone to respond to this poll incorrectly.

Would you be willing to write an article for the magazine on this subject? I would like to gather photos to support these details.

Thank you for posting!

Comment

For now, I have marked them as approximate ranges, pending more information.

In my archives there is a Fred Coldwell article on boxes, too. I need to see if I can find that.

Comment

I hope there are only 2 types, 46-early51 late51-68

Are there just 2 types, the 2nd and 3rd are the same right?

Comment

Originally posted by ccsammy View Post
            Are there just 2 types, the 2nd and 3rd are the same right?

Sides of the third series have a flat top vs. the angled top of the earlier versions.

Frank

Comment

Good job, Clint. I was hoping you would come along.

How should I modify the poll language? Also, am I to understand there are six beds, but only three fenders? By your remarks it is certainly possible for someone to respond to this poll incorrectly.

Would you be willing to write an article for the magazine on this subject? I would like to gather photos to support these details.

Thank you for posting!
              Are polls still limited to six choices? If so, maybe:

1) 1st series "Early" - Four rectangular stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, short section of bed roll ahead of spare tire.

2) 1st series "Late" - Four rectangular stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, no bed roll ahead of spare tire.

3) 2nd series "Early" - Three coke bottle shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, six bed boards and five skid strips, bed wood terminates at tailgate and rests on top of rear sill

4) 2nd series "Late" - Three coke bottle shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, eight bed boards and 7 skid strips, bed wood terminates ahead of the tailgate against part of the rear sill which then fills the gap rearward to the tailgate

5) 3rd series "Early" - Three rectangular shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides angle out horizontally at their tops, no backup lights in rear sill

6) 3rd series "Late" - Three rectangular shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides angle out horizontally at their tops, rear sill contains backup lights

I have owned only first series "late" boxes. I am only 50% sure that the early 3rd series had a rear sill that would not accept backup lights. If all 3rd series were cut for backup lights, this would knock down the total to 5 different beds (excluding special driver's side spare tire versions).

That is really all I have for information. I do not have very many photos to choose from as far as beds go. I could point you to someone who owns beds from each of the different series who might be a more appropriate candidate for writing an article.

I don't know if this would help much on the fender question. As far as I know, there were only two versions - 1st series, and 2nd and 3rd combined.

Comment

Are polls still limited to six choices? If so, maybe:

1) 1st series "Early" - Four rectangular stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, short section of bed roll ahead of spare tire.

2) 1st series "Late" - Four rectangular stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, no bed roll ahead of spare tire.

3) 2nd series "Early" - Three coke bottle shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, six bed boards and five skid strips, bed wood terminates at tailgate and rests on top of rear sill

4) 2nd series "Late" - Three coke bottle shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, eight bed boards and 7 skid strips, bed wood terminates ahead of the tailgate against part of the rear sill which then fills the gap rearward to the tailgate

5) 3rd series "Early" - Three rectangular shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides angle out horizontally at their tops, no backup lights in rear sill

6) 3rd series "Late" - Three rectangular shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides angle out horizontally at their tops, rear sill contains backup lights

I have owned only first series "late" boxes. I am only 50% sure that the early 3rd series had a rear sill that would not accept backup lights. If all 3rd series were cut for backup lights, this would knock down the total to 5 different beds (excluding special driver's side spare tire versions).

That is really all I have for information. I do not have very many photos to choose from as far as beds go. I could point you to someone who owns beds from each of the different series who might be a more appropriate candidate for writing an article.

I don't know if this would help much on the fender question. As far as I know, there were only two versions - 1st series, and 2nd and 3rd combined.

Great details! This poll is for fenders, so I think the number of choices is fine on this one. We could have a poll to see how ownership distributed over these configurations you mention.

In summary, it seems by your remarks, that if you have the four, large stake pockets you have early fenders, and if you have three stake pockets per side you have the late fenders, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
                  Sides of the third series have a flat top vs. the angled top of the earlier versions.

Frank
                  The only units i've seen with a flat top were the units i'm repro'ing.

all i've ever seen have a crown on top

Comment

Great details! This poll is for fenders, so I think the number of choices is fine on this one. We could have a poll to see how ownership distributed over these configurations you mention.

In summary, it seems by your remarks, that if you have the four, large stake pockets you have early fenders, and if you have three stake pockets per side you have the late fenders, is that correct?
                    When I built my 4 stake box the biggest problem I faced was early fender availability. Fortunately I latched on to a pair from Utah in excellent shape for $70. This was in 1992 and I had looked far and wide for rear fenders. My ad in the PWA paid off and I scored the two fenders. Bottom line; the early fenders are the rarest and the later style cover more years and although hard to find, are more available.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by ccsammy View Post
                      The only units I've seen with a flat top were the units i'm repro'ing.

all I've ever seen have a crown on top
                      What I am referring to is that the late versions have a 90 degree angle at the top of the bedsides vs. the 45 degree angle of the earlier versions.

Frank

Comment

That is correct.

"Configurations"? Where have I heard that term before? Hmmm.

Comment

That is correct.

"Configurations"? Where have I heard that term before? Hmmm.
                          Perhaps when you were doing some really solid works.

Comment

3) 2nd series "Early" - Three coke bottle shaped stake pockets per side, bed sides flare out at 45 degree angle at their tops, six bed boards and five skid strips, bed wood terminates at tailgate and rests on top of rear sill.

I might add that these early 2nd series trucks had a fuel tank sender inspection plate, just like the 1st series.

Good job, Clint.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
                              What I am referring to is that the late versions have a 90 degree angle at the top of the bedsides vs. the 45 degree angle of the earlier versions.

Frank
                              Sorry, i thought we were talking fenders.. i've got the beds all lined out. use to have one of each.

Comment

Working...
                              X