Hand tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand tools

If you were buying new hand tools today, whose would you buy, and why?

Discuss....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Are we talking mechanics tools like wrenches and the sort? I have my dad's set of Snap-on which are great tools. Would I buy them now? Probably not due to cost. I have Craftsman of my own which aren't finished smooth like the Snap-on but they are still warrented. My biggest problem with Snap-on are the area dealers, they don't want to replace tools even if you can get one to stop. With Craftsman I go to Sears, get a replacement without the hassle. And the only tool I've had to replace was ratchet. They don't seem to be made as well as the older ones like so many things today.

Now if you are talking construction/woodworking tools well that's a whole 'nother can of worms.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
      Are we talking mechanics tools like wrenches and the sort? I have my dad's set of Snap-on which are great tools. Would I buy them now? Probably not due to cost. I have Craftsman of my own which aren't finished smooth like the Snap-on but they are still warrented. My biggest problem with Snap-on are the area dealers, they don't want to replace tools even if you can get one to stop. With Craftsman I go to Sears, get a replacement without the hassle. And the only tool I've had to replace was ratchet. They don't seem to be made as well as the older ones like so many things today.
      Yes.

Now if you are talking construction/woodworking tools well that's a whole 'nother can of worms.....
      A great topic, too, so....feel free to share your thoughts. I am sure many of us are interested.

Comment

For the basic hand tools you'll have forever (or until you or someone else looses it), I'd say Craftsman. Readily available, easy to swap if you have problems and the prices are much more reasonable than most others. Plus I love the laser etching on the new sockets, so easy to read.

If you want to step up a little I'd probably recommend Cobalt tools. I'm not sure who makes them but most look identical to the Snap-on tools I inherited from my Uncle. Prices are higher but chances are they're made by the same company. Craftsman has started offering a higher end ratchet now that's polished and has a finer tooth mechanism and slightly better ergonomics too if you wanted to go that way.

For a professional mechanic or repair man I think Snap-On or Matco makes sense from the standpoint that they come to you. Regardless of if they are better or not, when time is money having them come to you makes more sense than taking your time to go to the store to swap it out.

For the odd tool I need for one task, or that will see very limited use I admit I'll grab a cheap set from Harbor Freight. Sure it won't hold up like a name brand tool, but for the price many times I don't care.

Comment

When I am looking for a tool, I first look at the name brands I have always trusted….Craftsman, Ridgid, Vise Grip, etc…

When I look at these tools, I have an expectation that the quality will be there. However, sometimes an inspection of these tools reveals that the quality is no longer there and that these name brands can’t always be trusted anymore.

After I have found a good quality tool, I then look to see where it is made. If an item is made in the states and the quality is obvious, then I will buy it even if it costs a little more. Note I said a LITTLE more. Also note I said it must be quality. I’m not willing to pay outrageous prices for sub-standard quality just because it is made in the U.S., but will pay a fair price to support American manufacturers who have maintained the quality in their products.

My most recent tool purchase was a Wilton bench vice. I bought the American made version, which cost about 50% more than their offshore model. The difference in quality was obvious. It is safe to say that, above all, I demand quality.

I’m finding that Ridgid tools are maintaining a high standard of quality and, for the most part, Craftsman is too. Some of the tools are made here and some are made offshore.

I really don’t buy many tools anymore, which is a testimony to the way I shop for them. With the exception of a new Craftsman torque wrench, I haven’t had to replace a tool for a long time.

The bottom line is, good tools aren’t cheap and cheap tools aren’t good. Most of my tools I have had since I was a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
            When I am looking for a tool, I first look at the name brands I have always trusted….Craftsman, Ridgid, Vise Grip, etc…

When I look at these tools, I have an expectation that the quality will be there. However, sometimes an inspection of these tools reveals that the quality is no longer there and that these name brands can’t always be trusted anymore.

After I have found a good quality tool, I then look to see where it is made. If an item is made in the states and the quality is obvious, then I will buy it even if it costs a little more. Note I said a LITTLE more. Also note I said it must be quality. I’m not willing to pay outrageous prices for sub-standard quality just because it is made in the U.S., but will pay a fair price to support American manufacturers who have maintained the quality in their products.

My most recent tool purchase was a Wilton bench vice. I bought the American made version, which cost about 50% more than their offshore model. The difference in quality was obvious. It is safe to say that, above all, I demand quality.

I’m finding that Ridgid tools are maintaining a high standard of quality and, for the most part, Craftsman is too. Some of the tools are made here and some are made offshore.

I really don’t buy many tools anymore, which is a testimony to the way I shop for them. With the exception of a new Craftsman torque wrench, I haven’t had to replace a tool for a long time.

The bottom line is, good tools aren’t cheap and cheap tools aren’t good. Most of my tools I have had since I was a teenager.
            ....it seems you and I are a lot alike. Who'da thunk it?

I like that first line. The bottom line is....

A lot.

Comment

There are certain tools that a guy especially shouldn't skimp on. A torque wrench is one such tool.

When I was shopping, I looked at the 1/2 inch drive Craftsman. They had several different models including a digital readout. What? Yes, a digital readout. I was scared.

I went back and found something that I was comfortable with. A 1/2 inch drive, 20-250 lb. normal wrench but it was $215.00 on sale!

I looked at EVERYTHING else and finally paid the $215. I am comfortable with all of the torque settings on my truck. That's invaluable.

Comment

craftsman dog bone

I picked up an odd craftsman tool. 4 socket revolving gizmo on each end. Now I can save time and lose all 8 sockets at once.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                  I picked up an odd craftsman tool. 4 socket revolving gizmo on each end. Now I can save time and lose all 8 sockets at once.
                  There is a peculiar sort of efficiency in that.

Comment

I've lost my love of Crafstman, as the ratchets in the newer sets all seem to reverse the little leaver at on their own, as well as the mechanism breaks way to easy. Additionally I had one of the chrome 30' measuring tapes they warranted for life, and have had it replaced a couple of time, but this last time, they said sorry, we no longer make thta tape, here is it's replacement, but it dosn't carry the same warranty! They now only warrent the mearurement tape, not the spring or case!

I've been happy with some Kobalt tools I have, but like Ron Snap-on are probably the best, but pricy, so I stick with the craftsman.
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                      With the exception of a new Craftsman torque wrench, I haven’t had to replace a tool for a long time.
                      I may have mentioned this on this site years ago. Back in 1987 I bought my old man a Craftsman Digi-torque torque wrench, and it did last a few years. The ratchet mechanism eventually stripped out so I go marching down to Sears because trusty old AJ Foyt says GUARANTEED FOREVER on their commercials and it hadn't been that long. Well Sears told me forever doesn't apply to torque wrenches, only 1 year. I have since welded the torque wrench ratchet, essentially making it a breakerbar. I don't mess with Sears or Craftsman anymore. Their weed trimmers are junk too.

bucky

Comment

I just received my Snap-On socket FRXM19. It is what I would term a deep, metric flarenut socket, in size 19mm. It is for injector line fittings on the 5.9 Cummins, such as in my 2001 3/4 ton, Cummins powered Ram.

It is priced at $71. I may wear it as jewelry; it is so pretty.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gordon that tops a $48 ball joint socket I bought & used once. It was too big (& ugly) for jewelry, good doorstop though.

Bucky

Comment

Impact Set

My first set of Impact sockets are from IR. http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...px-am_en-18632 The price was better than Craftsman and it also had more sizes than a craftsman set and they carry a lifetime replacement warrantee.

The case is well made and sturdy. There is room for 2 sets of extensions (6), universals (2) and adapters (2), 1/2 & 3/8. It's handy to grab for when I'm in the shop, on the road or wheeling off road.

There is a IR location less than 20 min from my house so return & replacement is simple and easy.

If I had the money to buy new, I would buy Snap-On. I have some used Snap-On tools and they are great. I also have some older MAC tools, They are also nice but from what I understand they have been bought by Stanley ACK... so no new MAC tools in the foreseeable future for me.

I have also been ordering some tools from Northern Tool http://www.northerntool.com/
                            They have good pricing on many quality brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              I just received my Snap-On socket FRXM19. It is what I would term a deep, metric flarenut socket, in size 19mm. It is for injector line fittings on the 5.9 Cummins, such as in my 2001 3/4 ton, Cummins powered Ram.

It is priced at $71. I may wear it as jewelry; it is so pretty.
                              A necklace maybe, however I have a feeling if you used them as earings you could end up fitting in with some of these tattooed, pierced aer stretched Kids I've seen lately! LOL.
                              All kidding aside, that is a gorgeous piece of jewelry er tooling Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                              X