Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PNW Trucks, join us for a burger in Yakima.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNW Trucks, join us for a burger in Yakima.

As some of you probably know, Julie & I do what we call "Burger Patrols". A Burger Patrol is basically where you locate a burger joint somewhere on the map and see if you can make it there, in your old truck, to have a burger. Julie has fun taking pictures and posting it on Facebook. I have fun.. Fixing the truck.

Lately we've been using the WC53 Carryall "Franklin" for this as I s.l.o.w.l.y expand its usable radius.

Well, I saw this picture of a huge burger in Yakima

and unthinkingly said. "Lets see if we can get the Carryall to Yakima. Ha ha!"

Julie : "I'm in, lets go."

Well, unexpectedly my bluff has been called. She was supposed to say something like.. Possibly, "No"?

Now a couple more old Army trucks have joined in, so? I'm planning a trip from Anacortes to Yakima and back in the Carryall. I'll need to get the windshield wipers going and probably bring tire chains.. And tools, lots of them. I'm breaking our trip in two stages with an overnight break in Cle Elum, WA.

Any old trucks up here in the PNW, (in working order) like to join in this crazy adventure? Come meet us for a burger in Yakima!

Jan, 27 2018 Shooting for around 1:30.

Let us know if you're interested.

-jim lee

I wish I could make this trip, Looks amazing all the way around.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

We'll see. I've started running the truck down the highway more and more hoping to bring any faults to the surface early enough to fix 'em.

-jim lee

Comment

For those that have not seen the results elsewhere..

You guys missed all the fun!

Waiting for the car wrecks to be cleared above us on the highway 2 pass for a couple hours.

Next morning in Leavenworth, WA. Yikes! Snowed more n' I expected that night.

But we made it! That's Glen's truck waiting for us out in front of Miners Drive in. He had a 500 mile trip too. Had a great time chatting for nearly 3 hours. Spent the night and even made it home the next day.

Round trip a shade over 506 miles.

What a ride!

-jim lee

Comment

Looks like it was a great trip. Glad you made it without incident.

Comment

It's pretty great that you've gotten your truck to this level of reliability. You've made huge strides compared to where you were not long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
              It's pretty great that you've gotten your truck to this level of reliability. You've made huge strides compared to where you were not long ago.
              Thank you! But I was lucky in that the truck was in ok shape, better than a lot of them I've seen, and I didn't have much going on otherwise.

-jim lee

Comment

Originally posted by jim lee View Post
                Thank you! But I was lucky in that the truck was in ok shape, better than a lot of them I've seen, and I didn't have much going on otherwise.

-jim lee
                I know it wasn't like it was a ground up rebuild or restoration, but it seems like every time I turned around, you were posting about fixing this or that and getting a lot done in a relatively short time. And I've enjoyed your blog, too.

Comment

Well thanks! I's been a pretty wild project. I'm learning a lot, but I have no idea where I'll ever use what I'm learning.

Here's the wrap up on the trip. I put a bunch of the pictures together with captions on my Carryall Blog page. Pretty much what I wrote here, but in more detail.

https://www.eskimo.com/~jimlee/Home/...r_Patrol..html

-jim lee

Comment

Jim, other than the truck performing, the weather and adventure one question that has been on my mind is that burger....How was it?
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Really? Well.. OK.

The good:
                      The diameter was huge.
                      Nice bun. Not tough like some "designer" burgers.
                      The veggies were really fresh, even the tomato was good and that's REALLY rare!
                      The sauce was tasty.
                      The sides, fries & tater tots were yummy and we got enough to feed a family.

The bad? Sigh..
                      The meat was pressed flat as a pizza crust and cooked to death. No taste.
                      The double only gets one layer of cheese and its not melted. I want melted top and middle.

To me the important thing is the meat and cheese. I thought it was odd that, out in ranch country, they didn't have a fantastic patty on there.

But you can see all this from the picture. So it wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was how well everything else was done. The veggies, the sides etc. So it was actually better than I expected. And Boy are they popular! Three hours of nearly standing room only! So they have their market figured out and dialed in.

The best burger? So far I think my favorite is Kirk's Burgers in Santa Clara Calif. They used to be a chain of 3 or 4 but now I think there's only one left.

-jim lee

Comment

Jim, I will go out of my way especially in bad weather in a Power Wagon for a good burger or here in Iowa a Tenderloin. Tonight for dinner after a good 6 inches of snow we will be heading out for dinner. We call ourselves foodies around my place and are always setting up adventures for food. I followed your travels on the Facebook and really enjoyed them. The mobile windshield cleaning was so fantastic. Thank you for sharing your adventures and food with us! I really wish i was closer, I would love to join in with you.

Great looking WC and Burger!!
                        1967 W200.aka.Hank
                        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Iowa huh?..

You know some years ago.. Maybe 2002? Different life. We towed a Jet boat to McGregor Iowa for a jet boat meet that some of our Midwest internet friends were putting on. Had a great time!

Wrote a blog about that too, but its been lost to the winds of time.

-jim lee

Comment

Working...
                          X