NV4500 in a 64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV4500 in a 64?

I was curious about putting an NV4500 in my '64 and would like to know what would go into that. If anyone else has done this and could provide a parts list and a heads up on any fabricating needed would be very helpful.

Welcome and can you tell us more about your 64? What make and model? also what motor will you be putting in front of this.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

It's a '64 3/4 ton civilian long bed swepline single cab. It has the dana 60 in the rear and the 44 up front manual stearing stock suspention it's still set up for the origional granny four speed (435 I think?) and we're looking for a pre '76 360 to run in it.

Comment

Your 64 used a crossmember that mounted under & supported the bellhousing. The NV4500 would need it's own crossmember under the tailshaft.

Get the bellhousing, clutch assembly along with the NV4500. Flywheel will have to be balanced to the 360.

Bucky

Comment

Will I need to modify the tunnel? And will I need any other parts such as a new slave cylinder and lines?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoals View Post
            Will I need to modify the tunnel? And will I need any other parts such as a new slave cylinder and lines?
            I can't say about the tunnel. I would find a donor truck & get everything transmission related from it, such as master & slave cylinders, lines, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing, maybe even the driveshaft. Some modifications will still be needed of course. Things changed a lot in those 30 years.

Bucky

Comment

Do those trucks use an attached or divorced transfer case?

If divorced you'll have issues fitting the longer NV4500 in front of the stock transfer case. The dodge 2WD uses a long tail shaft, and the 4WDs used an attached transfer case. There are lots of ways to make it work just depends on what you're willing to mess with.

Comment

The 64 W200 should have a divorced transfer case. How much longer is the NV4500?
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                  Do those trucks use an attached or divorced transfer case?

If divorced you'll have issues fitting the longer NV4500 in front of the stock transfer case. The dodge 2WD uses a long tail shaft, and the 4WDs used an attached transfer case. There are lots of ways to make it work just depends on what you're willing to mess with.
                  This is the shortest nv4500 setup. Chevy 2wd tailshaft housing. Bellhousing is an LA 360. This setup behind the 360 is 7.5 inches longer than a stock 230 with np420.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I have the early one in my WDX in front of the NP200, and the Cummins is jammed against the radiator to fit everything.

What do you do about the input shaft? Chevy and dodge were different IIRC though I guess they will swap?

On the plus side the Chevy versions were not known for problems with their 5th gears.

Comment

I have an NV4500 in my 62 W100 with an LA 340. I had to make no tunnel modifications. I had to move the hole where the shifter comes through the floor to the rear about 8" or so. The factory crossmember where the original bellhousing mounts will have to be cut out and a crossmember will have to be made for the rear of the NV4500. The driveshaft is about 9" in length but I was able to use a 1350 series slip yoke and a 1350 yoke shaft along with a 10 spline 1350 input yoke on the factory NP201 transfer case. The shortest version of the NV4500 is the chevy 2 wheel drive. The 1996 and newer GM NV4500s will bolt to the dodge bellhousing. If using the GM NV4500 the input shaft will have to be changed over to the Dodge Gas NV4500 version which is 1.125" in diameter and 10 spline. The new pilot bearing (not bushing) will have to be used from a 94-02 Dodge 2500 with a 5.2L or 5.9L gas engine. This pilot bearing is installed into the machined hole in the back of crank where the torque converter would ride on the automatic equipped engines. Since my engine is a neutral balance 340, I used the flywheel from a 94-02 Magnum 5.2 L (318 with neutral balance while the 360 Magnum (5.9L) was not a neutral balance). I used a Centerforce stage 1 clutch and pressure plate for a 94-02 360 (5.9L gas) engine.

Depending on your engine the Magnum bellhousing bolts up to the LA series engines and to the newer Hemi (to my knowledge). I held this bellhousing up to a 64 Poly 318 and the top 5 bolts and the 2 dowel pins line up but the 2 lower bolts do not line up.

I have most of the setup for sale right now:
                      https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/p...516960203.html

Comment

Would you happen to have under carriage and installation pictures of this. It sounds like it worked very well for you.
                        1967 W200.aka.Hank
                        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Here are a few pics of the NV4500 installed.

Comment

This looks fantastic, thank you for sharing this install. I would love to do something like this in my W200.
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Working...
                            X