Power Wagon Advertiser Forums Midwest Military Dodge Power Wagon Gear Vintage Powerwagons

Go Back   Power Wagon Advertiser Forums > MILITARY DODGE 4X4 TRUCKS > WWII Dodge

Notices

WWII Dodge VC, VF, WC 1/2 ton, WC 3/4 ton, including weapons carriers, carryalls, command cars, ambulances, & WC 1-1/2 ton 6X6

Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Bruce in BC
Premium Forum User

Dodge Carryall thread . WC53 , 1/2 ton , military and civilian.

Ok guys here we go with shots and commentary on all things carryall. Here is a shot of a custom running board for my Dodge carryall . I tried to get the look of the stock roll in the leading edge . The board is made from 1/8th checker plate , 1/8th band iron and schedule 40 pipe . I have yet to figure out if I am using the original supports or make stronger , jackable new supports .

Bruce

HSLATT....... custom license plate ?

LINKS
http://imageevent.com/moparnorm/carryalls A gallery of carryall shots

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple Pauls wonderful site

http://picasaweb.google.com/ColoWC53/CarryallPreRestore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg running board.jpg (107.6 KB, 7555 views)

Last edited by Bruce in BC; 08-17-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: adding links
Bruce in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Bruce in BC
Premium Forum User

outside edge of running board

I need a way to clean up the outside welds between the checkerplate and schedule 40 . In the background you can just make out my rebuilt 205 and 1/2 finished sandblast cabinet .

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg *Outside Running Board.jpg (80.9 KB, 7271 views)
Old 01-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
MoparNorm
Registered

Hey Bruce!
Change that focus, the fender looks like I forgot my reading glasses and the background is sharp as a tack! ha!ha!
Too much "cleaning" on the weld is going to ruin the seam, maybe one of those round 3M pads that attach to a drill motor? They'd work great on removing the rust around the diamonds also.
As for jacking on the running boards...I don't think you can make a support of any strength that would allow that, at that location, you'll either dent the running board or the support, depending upon how you were stuck or the amount of weight in the truck at the time....It's a real problem with a hi-lift (is that what you are thinking?) to find a good lift point. I sometimes place the jack inside the 2" hitch receiver, but the hi-lift is so unstable that you have to be very careful about going too high.
Now, if you could figure out an independent type of support that attached directly to the frame and was hidden by the running board, and didn't hang down too far to cause ground clearance issues, that just might work, but remember we can't weld on these frames so.....
Can you take a picture (in focus) of the frame in that area, Ed keeps his Carryall locked up for some reason and I can't get a look at that section right now.
MN
MoparNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Ugg013
Registered

BC Bruce:

Neat! Glad your FINALLY getting some pictures posted. HA! Hey, how'd ya get those rounded on the sides of the RB's? I've got a custom drivers side RB, but want the original look with the dip for the spare and all, even though I won't install a spare there unless I figure a way to make it swing out like the M 37"s.

Ya know, maybe if ya installed nerf bars under the RB's, you'd be able to use em as jacking points? I mean true nerf bars, and not the show type ya see on most vehicles these days.

Later
Ugg
Ugg013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Bruce in BC
Premium Forum User

Front view of a home made bumper

Building a front bumper is not all that onerous . Access to a brake that will bend 1/4" plate is an asset and if you wish to build a stock bumper access to a press will save you some time too . This bumper is made from three pieces of 1/4 inch . The ends are radiused in , much like the original bumpers . The top is a right angle bend the bottom has two 45 degree bends in it .
The bumper is not attached to the frame because I have yet to get a winch . I want the bumper as close to the tire as possible in an effort to keep the aproach angle at its maximum.

HSLATT

Bruce

XZL on the drivers side , stock 89 Dodge 1 ton on the passenger.

I did not know I could focus a digital camera...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper shot #1.jpg (122.7 KB, 7310 views)
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Ugg013
Registered

BC Bruce:

Sweet! So, I take it ya ain't gonna share the secret of how ya got the curves in the sides of the RB's, huh? HA!

Later
Ugg
Old 01-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
MoparNorm
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in BC View Post
I did not know I could focus a digital camera...........
You can if you get the proper distance and let the lens adjust before you snap the photo...or have 6 fewer beers....= )
Do you have a manual setting?
That's a great find on the shop rates, Canadian or USD?
Nice work!
MN
Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
acl4
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNorm View Post
...but remember we can't weld on these frames so.....
Hello all. I'm a newbie here, pining away in New York City until the day I move somewhere with a garage again and can get back to wrenching. In the mena time, I am reading up all I can about PWs as I think this is the next vehicle for me. (I'm already hooked!)

Question is this: I read Norm's post that PW frames cannot be welded on. Why? Is there a technical reason or is it just poor form?
acl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Ugg013
Registered

Hi acl4:

This is a great place to gain knowledge. Now sumpthin ya need to know from the get go is that ya have to take everything that that MoPar Norm guy says with a grain of salt. Ever hear the old sayin about if ya can't blind em with brilliance, baffle em with, well, I'll let ya fill in the rest. HA! Seriously, in spite of what some others may say, Norm's also a great source of info, ya just gotta know when he's pulling a leg or 2. HA!

So where ya lookin to relocate to? Some of us have been talking about starting a PW/WC Cult/Commune/Retirement Village. If ya get a chance, there's this little get together in Iowa this June that ya might just want to get to.

Later & Enjoy
Ugg
Old 03-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
acl4
Registered

any garage will do...

Ugg,

I grew up in SoCal working on vws, an old 1940s Ford Bus, anything else that was unlucky enough to roll into my driveway. I first got wind of the Power Wagon phenomenon a few years back, after I had moved to NYC (we're out here for my fiance's grad school program). What I really want is to rebuild a WC-53. I keep up on the Forums and read PWA, but with street parking and ALL my money going to pay the sky-high rents out here, I'll just have to keep my dreams on the page for now.

We did recently relocate from Manhattan to Brooklyn (one step closer to freedom), but unless we head back to LA (a very real possibility), I don't think I'll have reason to reclaim my welder and other tools on loan to my friends any time soon.

So until then, keep posting and I'll keep learning. I feel like the longer I read along and learn about PWs, the cheaper it will eventually be for me
to rebuild one myself. When I rebuilt my first car, I made every mistake I could at least twice (and at twice the price). It was basically fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-while-blindfolded restoration. This time, maybe I'll at least recognize the mistakes I'm making as I make them.

Andrew
acl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
MoparNorm
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl4 View Post
Hello all. I'm a newbie here, pining away in New York City until the day I move somewhere with a garage again and can get back to wrenching. In the mena time, I am reading up all I can about PWs as I think this is the next vehicle for me. (I'm already hooked!)

Question is this: I read Norm's post that PW frames cannot be welded on. Why? Is there a technical reason or is it just poor form?
Hi Andrew,
Ugg can only post when his meds wear off and the nurse leaves for her lunch break....
The Dodge Frames from around 1939 to at least 1993 were made from a special alloy steel that was heat treated. The information comes from the Dodge Technical Manuals of that Era. While many frames have been welded upon and there is actually a Dodge weld repair procedure, it was still not a procedure recommended for the average welder.
And for the record, I don't post procedures or give opinions about things I haven't either read about or attempted myself. I may not always write it correctly, but I don't make things up, I leave that for Ugg and his tin foil hat...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
Ugg013
Registered

Hey Andrew:

I feel for ya bro. I can only imagine life in NYC. Chicago was bad enough. Never been to NYC (no desire, to crowded), and I got within 5 miles of LA and said "NAW" and pulled a U'y. Uggville's current location was a compromise with the Mrs, but as soon as Maynard (my son) graduates HS, I'm outa here!

See what I said about that Norm. Then again, the guy wears a tight pink tu tu so how can ya take him seriously? (Norm, I still get the snakes from that thought.) I'm kinda partial to the 53's too. That Norm guy had one but dumped it for a song, or did he just trash it??????

Andrew, if ya haven't guessed by now, there's a general warped sense of humor here, and all kidding aside, there is a very good knowledge base here with VERY helpful people. After all, we're all struggling with this affliction. Well, I gotta go and put more foil on my hat. Them space guys got close this time.

Later
Ugg
Old 08-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
mcinfantry
Registered

got the 12000lb milemarker mounted im trying to get it on the road for sept 1st!

http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/Site/Winch_Mount.html
mcinfantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Bruce in BC
Premium Forum User

Fix your link Lee. All I get is a black page

matter of fact all I get on your link on page one of this thread is your weight loss pictures . Not exactly PW content . It would be great to have your photo's posted here and we would not loose them . Let me know when you have some pictures up and I will repost your link.

I am working on my skid plate trans mount . My first one flexed more than I anticipated . That is 1/4th plate with a 1 inch flange . I was surprised to se it bow about 3/16.

take care

Bruce
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
mcinfantry
Registered

hmmmmm. the link works for me... i dont know. i have all the pics, i need to re-do my web page in a more buildup friendly way....

does the milemarker winch page work for anyone else?
mcinfantry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge carryall, wc-53, wc53