M37 model year ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 model year ???

Hey guys, first post here, so here goes ... first I'm a Mopar guy fro m start to finish, but I've never worked on anything older than my '73 'cuda when I was 18. Last summer I was fighting a wildland fire in Wennachee Washington, saw an M37, called my wife for money and bought it. I have the bill of sale but no title yet. This truck has an oval rear window and I can find none like it on the net except 1 picture as a 1950. Could I have stumbled onto one of the original M37's ? Really curious and because of reasons beyond my control can't get a title till summer of 2013. Also where on earth do I find the original FH6 230? I has a mid-sixties wide block poly 318 in it now that doesn't fit at all. Last how do I post pics of my new project(s)? Projects, cuz the guy gave me a '74 W200 Crew Cab with the M37, it's in pretty rough condition, but I've already found most of the parts and should have them by March. Thanks in advance, Neil

Originally posted by shafco21 View Post
    Hey guys, first post here, so here goes ... first I'm a Mopar guy fro m start to finish, but I've never worked on anything older than my '73 'cuda when I was 18. Last summer I was fighting a wildland fire in Wennachee Washington, saw an M37, called my wife for money and bought it. I have the bill of sale but no title yet. This truck has an oval rear window and I can find none like it on the net except 1 picture as a 1950. Could I have stumbled onto one of the original M37's ? Really curious and because of reasons beyond my control can't get a title till summer of 2013. Also where on earth do I find the original FH6 230? I has a mid-sixties wide block poly 318 in it now that doesn't fit at all. Last how do I post pics of my new project(s)? Projects, cuz the guy gave me a '74 W200 Crew Cab with the M37, it's in pretty rough condition, but I've already found most of the parts and should have them by March. Thanks in advance, Neil
    The oval rear window would indicate it has a CCKW hard top installed. That is from a WWII era 2 1/2 ton GMC tactical truck. Many found their way onto M37's with a retrofit kit to adapt it. They actually do fit pretty well, but are no where near as nice as the genuine M37 arctic hard top.

We have some original 230 T245 core engines that we can build up; but no good running take outs at this time.

We can answer any questions you have concerning an M37, feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
      The oval rear window would indicate it has a CCKW hard top installed. That is from a WWII era 2 1/2 ton GMC tactical truck. Many found their way onto M37's with a retrofit kit to adapt it. They actually do fit pretty well, but are no where near as nice as the genuine M37 arctic hard top.

We have some original 230 T245 core engines that we can build up; but no good running take outs at this time.

We can answer any questions you have concerning an M37, feel free to ask.
      Thank you Charles, that would explain why there is wood used to seal the window on the door. I thought wood was a tad antique for a '50's truck. I have another question (there will be plenty more when I start restoration), is the M37 a Power Wagon or not??? I've been told both and have various answers on the net. I even sent Dodge an e-mail, but got no answer, which is actually a first, Dodge is pretty good about answering most questions. When I do start the restoration, I'll definitely be in touch concerning the FH6. Where are you located, I'm in Oregon ... just as a reference, cuz I'm assuming that shipping an engine is spendy, if you're close enough I may drive.

Comment

Thank you Charles, that would explain why there is wood used to seal the window on the door. I thought wood was a tad antique for a '50's truck. I have another question (there will be plenty more when I start restoration), is the M37 a Power Wagon or not??? I've been told both and have various answers on the net. I even sent Dodge an e-mail, but got no answer, which is actually a first, Dodge is pretty good about answering most questions. When I do start the restoration, I'll definitely be in touch concerning the FH6. Where are you located, I'm in Oregon ... just as a reference, cuz I'm assuming that shipping an engine is spendy, if you're close enough I may drive.
        Yes the wood is common to the CCKW top.

Is it a Power Wagon? In a general comparision, I'd have to say yes; but technically speaking, no it isn't. Although the military M37 and the civilian Power Wagon are VERY similar in many ways. Many parts will interchange as well.

We are in North Carolina, so I doubt you would want to drive and pick up, although I'd love to have you come by. We have had several from this and other forums make the drive from various places, every meeting has been absolutely outstanding, friendships formed that have been like no others, but that's another story. Associations with Kevin Mienke and his family has been one like you dream about in life and see very few that actually come to pass. We are all convinced that one was absolutely God's plan. His family is back in Iowa for the holidays, they were sorely missed at the Christmas Eve Church service last night, just isn't quite right without them. Only a few months ago, we had no clue such a bond was on the horizon.

Any way we can help, we are happy to do so. In the mean while you never know; we could get a good take out engine in. We get them coming through fairly often when being replaced with a Cummins. Shipping via LTL service isn't so bad for an item that large, definitely doable.

Merry Christmas, prosperous New Year

Comment

Thanks again Charles .... It is quite a ways to North Carolina, but as it happens, my oldest son is headed for the Green Beret training compound in Georgia (**** proud of him) in February and my wife and I are thinking of going to visit him this summer. Bottom line is I may be in the neighborhood, we'll see.

Comment

Thanks again Charles .... It is quite a ways to North Carolina, but as it happens, my oldest son is headed for the Green Beret training compound in Georgia (**** proud of him) in February and my wife and I are thinking of going to visit him this summer. Bottom line is I may be in the neighborhood, we'll see.
            Please do come by if you can, love to meet you and the wife. We are approx 4 hours north via I85 from Ft. Benning.

Comment

Working...
            X