M37 fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Charles for the offer.
    Last night I took off the pump again and studied what my options were . It came to me that the casting where that 1/4 inch bolt fits was plenty thick and plenty wide enough to allow a re-drill and tap to a 5/16 bolt so I hooked up my shop-vac to a small hose , taped it near the hole and re-drilled it and tapped it to 5/16ths.
    I checked for any metal bits and all looked good so after a good cleaning of the cap and seal gasket it is now back in and after a 20 minute run there was no leak. The new bolt pulled up tight and should be just fine.

That said you can imagine that Oh OH moment that everyone gets when a bolt on something important suddenly snaps or turns free and you just know your in a bad spot now.
    Again thank you for your offer .

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
      Thanks Charles for the offer.
      Last night I took off the pump again and studied what my options were . It came to me that the casting where that 1/4 inch bolt fits was plenty thick and plenty wide enough to allow a re-drill and tap to a 5/16 bolt so I hooked up my shop-vac to a small hose , taped it near the hole and re-drilled it and tapped it to 5/16ths.
      I checked for any metal bits and all looked good so after a good cleaning of the cap and seal gasket it is now back in and after a 20 minute run there was no leak. The new bolt pulled up tight and should be just fine.

That said you can imagine that Oh OH moment that everyone gets when a bolt on something important suddenly snaps or turns free and you just know your in a bad spot now.
      Again thank you for your offer .
      OK, glad you got it fixed. I figure we may be the ones who tightened it too tight and caused the issue, so I wanted to correct that.

Comment

Ta Da,
        took it for a nice ride and no leak. All is well that ends well.
        Thanks again Charles for your offer seeing as how its been a year or so since the warranty ran out. Not many places would make that offer.

Comment

Working...
        X