4BT will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4BT will not start

I had started this engine periodically all winter long without any problems. It started just a few weeks ago, then 7 days later, zero fire. I had jumped a wire from the battery to the fuel shut off solenoid (I spelled it out because some people are absolutely dumb as to what FSS stands for, even in these forums). Still no start. Gutted the FSS, still no start. Fuel seems to be flowing just fine on the other side of the filter and to the fuel lines as well. I have a few other routes I'm going to attempt (bleeding more, bypassing the fuel tank). Just looking to see what other more experienced minds have to say. Thank You.

Does this 4BT used a Combustion-Air Intake Heater (CAIH), like the 6BT uses?

I service/repair a couple of Versitile tractors that use the 4BT, and neither have any type of CAIH. They are both 70's vintage engines, so I am wondering the vintage of your 4BT...

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Cheyenne Dave,
      The engine was built/installed in 1989

Comment

so no grid heater then?

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

The only things that will prevent your engine from starting are fuel, lack of compression, timing or lack of air. If you don't have a positive air shut off you are getting air. Highly unlikely you lost compression or timing jumped so that just leaves fuel.

Fuel filter is known good and full?

You've primed the lift pump manually?

Fuel shutoff lever on the side of the IP isn't held back somehow?

When you bleed injectors are you getting a strong stream with no bubbles?

Comment

Well I found out it was air in the line from the very beginning , more likely than not. Discovered a leaking injector. And now my starter went out after all the bleeding. fma. So, can anyone point me in the direction for an affordable rebuild kit for the starter? It's an '89 3.9 with two bolt holes.

Comment

My experience is that almost all of them are the Nipendeso starters with slightly different nose pieces depending on the transmission adapter, including the Dodge 6BTs, so any of those kits should work for brushes and such and probably even the gear assembly, which makes finding them pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
              X