Common Rail 4bts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Rail 4bts

I don't know if anyone else has swapped in a Common Rail variant of the 4bt, also known as the ISB170 or the QSB4.5s, but they are an excellent engine, with great stand-alone capability, and make a ton of power in a small package. Obviously this is tech-info that is easily found over on 4btswaps.com but I figured I would share some stuff over here incase it peaks people's interest.

I know that I scoured the country for months before finding one of these engines for sale, so when they come up for sale I may post them here. Gordon, if you want to move this to the for sale section thats fine with me but its not 100% dodge truck parts related.

The ISB170 engines are common rail injected with the same bosch system that is used on the '03 - '06 Dodge 5.9 version of the Cummins. It uses the CP3 injection pump, grid-heater intake, and is essentially the 5.9 engine, but with the two middle cylinders removed. The engine is rated at 170 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque right out of the box, before any kind of computer tuning. There aren't any aftermarket tuners available for the engines as of 9/12 but there is a version of EFI Live that will soonly be available for custom ECM tuning. Cummins dealers can turn the engine up to its full advertised power, and if the technician is a nice guy, they can even go a littler further with it. The ECMs are also giant logic boards and can control PTO idle settings, cruise control settings, A/C switch logistics, electric fan switch logistics, economy management, tach signal, engine braking when equipped with an automatic, and many other cool little features.

The automotive application of the engine is usually found with an Allison 1000 5 speed behind it. This 5 speed can be converted to a 6 speed usually with the addition of a sprag gear and tailhousing from the later model 6 speed transmissions, along with a retune of the transmission controller. This particular Allison is also computer controlled and can be programed or left to its own (smart tuning) that the Duramax trucks have had now for years. That is to say, the transmission controller adjusts and constantly tunes itself to match common driving style to acheive the most effective and efficient shift patterns.

You can swap to a 4wd tailhousing by simply stealing parts from the Duramax trucks as well as a few aftermarket builders like PATC sells billet tailhousing adapters. The 2wd version has an output yoke equipped for an industrial style external transmission parking brake, but unlike the AT545s, this transmission actually has a park locking mechanisim.

The engine is 816 lbs, wet with standard accessories.
    The transmission is 330 lbs wet with a 2wd output housing.
    Engine is 32" long from the face of the harmonic balancer to the back face of the SAE 3 bellhousing. I don't have a length on the transmission yet.

Something different about these engines that may pose a minor installation challenge for some is the fact that it is a "rear geartrain" engine. That is to say, the injection pump, power steering pump, and camshaft are driven from the rear of the engine rather than the front like the rest of the 4B and 6B engine series. The Dodge 5.9 was built with a front geartrain as per Chrysler's request.

Here are a few pictures of the engine I am using in my project.

And what inspired this post is that I stumbled across another one of these combo's for sale. It would make an outstanding swap as I belive this is one of the engines that Legacy offered for a while in their trucks.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...-New-old-stock
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

This would be quiet like the 2003 and up 6BT? That would be nice.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      This would be quiet like the 2003 and up 6BT? That would be nice.
      Yep! Sure would! Same injection system, same motor more or less, just two less cylinders. Even the pistons, valves, rods, etc are all the same. The injectors are actually BIGGER on the 4 cyl and are a performance swap for the 6 cyl guys.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

We have been installing all electronic, common rail fuel system equipped Cummins engines since 2010, as Cummins ceased to build 4BTA's as new due to updated regulations in 2009. The all electronic models are the best we have ever used by far, all points considered. A much better choice than a 4BT or 4BTA.

Comment

Many thanks, Charles. This is good info. I have also seen your website;excellent. When the cash arrives, may do the swap.

Comment

And Axl64, excellent info. You're making it all easy. Pls let us know how it's going with the swap. I'm looking for a swap kit. Charles?

Comment

Originally posted by danlen View Post
              And Axl64, excellent info. You're making it all easy. Pls let us know how it's going with the swap. I'm looking for a swap kit. Charles?
              We don't offer kits. Tried that years ago, sent along detailed instructions, installers would then try to bypass critical instructions, do short cuts, etc. When problems arose as a result, then of course it was our fault. Amazingly, when we started doing all installations in house, the problems immediately went away. Didn't take us long to figure out the do it yourself kit was more headache that it was worth. If we do it here, it's right, no question.

Comment

Working...
              X