New to me Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Dakota

I bought a 1999 Dodge Dakota SLT last night. It has a 239 V6 and it only has 75,100 miles on it, and is a one owner vehicle that has been nicely taken care of. It is also very comfortable to sit in and drive.
    It has a Dodge bedliner and and high back 40-20-40 seats and since it was made in October 1998, it is a Chrysler Corporation Vehicle. It was made at the Warren Avenue truck plant that was built in the late 1930's
    I am trading my 1983 D150 Utiline in on it and will pick it up Monday. The place I am buying it from is replacing the loud blower motor and also they also said they would replace the battery in the keyless remote.
    I have had 4 Dodge Rams before this truck, a 1969 D100, The 1983 D150, a 1988 D100 that I bought new and had for 18 years, and a 1991 D150, so this is my first truck that is not a Dodge Ram, but it is by far the nicest truck I have ever had as far as equipment goes.
    I realize it isn't a 4wd or a Power Wagon, but it sure is a Dodge!

Congratulations for your purchase, DB69. Please post pictures and provide information as to the truck's performance and drivability.

Comment

Great!
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I have a 1999 Durango 318mag 4wd with 169,500 miles and I think it may very well be the best Dodge truck I have ever owned and that is saying a lot! I have also owned a 1984 D150 318 auto that I kept for 8 years and that was also an excellent truck. I very recently acquired a 1996 Dakota with the 3.9mag auto 4wd regular cab short bed. We'll just have to see how that works out for me. As for the Durango, I drove that from upstate NY to central Florida and back with 6 people and all our luggage and I constantly am towing with it for my cabinet shop. It is an all around work horse and so far has pulled everything I have hooked to it! My friend has a Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd and was mad when I went to use his lift in his garage and he saw how it was built underneath! We put his chevy up when I was done just to see the differences, and I have to say he was right! As usual, Chrysler Corp. overbuilt everything!

Comment

I have not gotten pictures yet as I do not own a camera, but I have now put 500 miles on the Dakota, and I love it! Since it is an SLT it has really great comfortable seats in it, and I now find comfort to be my top priority when purchasing a vehicle. I really like the bucket seats and the console which I can fold either down or back. Tomorrow I have to get a new radiator cap for it. That is the only problem so far
          TommyDodge

Comment

Glad to hear you got a great ride again. Enjoy.

Comment

Congratulations...!!!

I also have a Dakota, 2004 Quad Cab, V6 - 5 Speed - 2WD, nice truck. It has done everything I've asked and more. To find a lot more information about your truck go to:
              http://www.dakota-durango.com/
              Very specific site and loaded with info.
              Watch the front ball joints, they are a weak spot on these trucks. I've got 125,000 on mine and the joints last about 50,000 miles, I'm on the second set.
              Since you live just around the corner from me it snows there also, check to see if it has a LSD (limited slip differential) listed on the tag in the glove box. Mine was almost useless with snow on the ground and 400lbs in the back. A good LSD is the best winter investment you can make.
              Engine, there is good info on getting more power out of it, but read before you buy. Do not get sucked into a throttle body spacer...!!! I've run low 17's in the 1/4 mile with some mild engine work. Gas milage, expect ~15-17 mpg average.
              The bed liner has probably rubbed thru the paint and will now be starting to rust thru. I pitched mine and did the Herculiner DIY, very satisfied and one of these days I need to do a second coat. Some guys put the liner in over the Herculiner.
              Interior noise, if you want it quiet, pull the seats and carpet and cover everything with 2-4 layers of W.R.Grace Water and Ice Shield, (Lowes, HomeDepot ~$80) huge difference.
              Lots of other stuff you will find out about your truck, and also there is a very loyal following for them. I'm one of them.
              DrPepper

Comment

Working...
              X