Bridge plate info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge plate info

I know this has probably been done to the hilt but I have asked and searched for info on what numbers and letters should be on the bridge plate
    I found sites that tell you how big and what color the numbers should be but not one that spells out the code to figure what a given truck should be.
    I also have had advise from "experts" and every one of them had a different take on just what should be on the plate. And none knew why the numbers they said to use were right. I am not looking for some one to tell me what nubers , just where I can see for myself what they should be.
    I am asking if anyone knows where I can go look at the specs that say just what numbers I should use and why.
    Belive it or not I actually called two Army truck maintance companys and no one knew what the numbers ment.
    So if anyone can point to a site that can give me the website or post a page out of a TM or FM that shows what numbers to use and why I would be a happy camper.

I see we didn't get very far here. :-)

I will dig around a bit.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

C apparently means combination truck and trailer.

Comment

I don't see that this really has your answer, but you will want this manual as it is interesting.

http://cdm16635.contentdm.oclc.org/c...coll8/id/55464

Let it load first.

Comment

Download this:

http://www.stugiii.com/images/US_Vehicle_Markings.pdf

Comment

Hi Gordon, The site that starts out with cdm16635 Bridge recon. FM5-36 had some info. Again it went on at lenght about the size and color and shape and placement of the bridge plate but not anything I could see about how to select the right numbers. In appendex -X- starting on page 103 it lists just about every kind of vehicle the millitary could have and in true millitary style the thousands of vehicles listed did not seem in any kind of order. After plowing through the list that shows up side ways on the screen the closest thing I found was one listing for a 3/4 ton wheeled truck with winch and it said " class 4 "

So now after all that I now sort of figure the top letter should be -C- and one of the bottom letter should be -4-. I still have one more bottom number to decipher.

Wouldn't you think it would be much simpler to find out? Its like the best kept secret out there.

Comment

Yes, I would think that. It must have been tribal knowledge, which tends to fly in the face of the rigid and definitive policy structure we have come to expect from military things.

Comment

I know nowdays younger people (under 30 ) are not real big on keeping track of things from the past but I called two Millitary outfits , one a National Guard truck repair company and one US Army truck company. Oddly the phone was answered with," hello" as if I had dialed some ones home. I had to ask ,,is this so and so Army base? The Nat Guard number went directly to voice mail and gave me a CELL PHONE number to call..

After telling the person that answered what I was looking for I was transfered to , as the person that answered the phone reffered to as " a guy that might know what I am talking about".

The "guy" when asked had not a clue and said ," I dont think we do that anymore". Then there was a long silence on the phone. I asked if there was anyone else there that might know, another long pause , I say " hello ?,,,hello? then he says No.

In my mind I thought ,"good God is this whats defending us?

Comment

The tribal knowledge is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                    Hi Gordon, The site that starts out with cdm16635 Bridge recon. FM5-36 had some info. Again it went on at lenght about the size and color and shape and placement of the bridge plate but not anything I could see about how to select the right numbers. In appendex -X- starting on page 103 it lists just about every kind of vehicle the millitary could have and in true millitary style the thousands of vehicles listed did not seem in any kind of order. After plowing through the list that shows up side ways on the screen the closest thing I found was one listing for a 3/4 ton wheeled truck with winch and it said " class 4 "

So now after all that I now sort of figure the top letter should be -C- and one of the bottom letter should be -4-. I still have one more bottom number to decipher.

Wouldn't you think it would be much simpler to find out? Its like the best kept secret out there.
                    Seems to me if you proceed with the markings you intend to use you haven't understood what you have read.

For instance you plan to use the "C". If you plan to pull a trailer then use the C,otherwise the C for combination is not used for truck only.

Also your supposed to post the "Gross" weight.
                    I don't believe you post the Classification number if I understood what I read.
                    As mentioned in an earlier reply you calculate the weight, the number of axles, the length of said vehicle,etc., and following set guide lines you post the weight in pounds, X1000,
                    Example if your calculation show you weigh 8,000 pounds the top stay's blank and the bottom numbers read 08
                    08 under it.If your pulling a trailer or something other then you show the"C" and 08
                    The information you seek is buried in a maze of TM and FM manuals. I have read them but don't have the manual numbers handy,but you have been close.
                    If all else fails weigh your truck and mark it accordingly.
                    Good Luck on your search
                    Tom
                    WDX & Misc. Pics.
                    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                    "47" Dodge WDX WW
                    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                    "54" Willys M38A1
                    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Hi Tom, not understanding it is very easy. I never saw such a cryptic system.
                      Not only is it hard to find but there seems to be a few different theorys on it.
                      One place I found said the top letter stood for if you were driving cross country , or highway, loaded or unloaded. One said the top letter was if you were or were not pulling a trailer.
                      It just seems to me that there should be a place that says , THE TOP LETTER STANDS FOR -A- FOR THIS, -B- FOR THAT -C- FOR THE OTHER. And the lower left didgit is for what ever and the right didgit is for what ever .
                      So far after plowing through many documents I see a bit of info here and a bit there but none all together on one page.
                      Why all the confusion is beyond my understanding. I figure if anyone asks me what the numers are for I will just say is a millitary code for this truck and hope the dont ask any more questions.
                      PS the Truck weighs in at 5950 pounds with me not in it. With me it 6180 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        The tribal knowledge is gone.
                        The numbers, letters, color, and geometric arrangement were all part of a complex code, a closely guarded secret, designed so that the enemy could not decipher it and use this knowledge to blow up the wrong bridges behind them. You will have to find an elder from a Native American tribe - preferably of Navajo descent - to translate it. Then, after he tells you, he will have to kill you...of course......

Just kidding.... ;^)

Comment

Ha Ha ha, I am married to a part Pawnee but she just shrugs her shoulders and smiles.
                          I dont know any Navajo's so I guess I am out of luck. I figured I would go on the internet and look up old photos of the Korean war and Vietnam and see if I could spot a truck like mine and I did find some and all they had was 0-4 on the bottom and a few had an C on the top most had nothing on the top. So thats what I will do.

Comment

Working...
                          X