52 Power wagon restoration/ restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Power wagon restoration/ restomod

Truck is originally out of California. The story goes that the original owner was the Alameda county fire department as a fund raiser the truck was raffled off at the fair and the guys uncle that I bought it from won it. Here was the garbage when I picked it up.

Was actually really clean but I am delusional being from Ohio everything is rusted to heck within 10 years or so.

Step 1: Is to drop in a 4bt, nv4500, nv241 dana 60 and 80 to it to dd duty. Hopefully time line will be a month or 2, putting the body back on as it and running it to see what needs to be done.

Step 2 (next winter or so): Leaning towards putting a 4 link in the back and 5 link up front either air bags or coils need to do some more research. Fixing the little rust that is on the truck and having it painted.

Started taking it apart so nice to work on a vehicle that isn't rusted to heck everything came a apart with a impact and a wrench.

More to come.

Comment

Looks like a fun project and a nice PW. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

It is nice living someplace that doesn't have the rust or getting vehicles from those places, though my truck came from Ohio so it was a rusted mess. Looks like a much nicer staring point.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, or what your background is on this type of work but two months is really ambitious for all the work you're talking about.

I'd seriously look into doing a body swap, with all you want to change maybe look for a more modern set of running gear and do the 4BT swap to that if you want it. As a DD it will be far more liveable and with the right frame all those upgrades get much easier too.

It's a ton of work either way, looking forward to see how you tackle the problems, keep the photos coming.

Comment

I like it! Subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd M View Post
            Looks like a fun project and a nice PW. Please keep us posted on your progress.
            Will do I plan to draw on the knowledge on this site.

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
            It is nice living someplace that doesn't have the rust or getting vehicles from those places, though my truck came from Ohio so it was a rusted mess. Looks like a much nicer staring point.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, or what your background is on this type of work but two months is really ambitious for all the work you're talking about.

I'd seriously look into doing a body swap, with all you want to change maybe look for a more modern set of running gear and do the 4BT swap to that if you want it. As a DD it will be far more liveable and with the right frame all those upgrades get much easier too.

It's a ton of work either way, looking forward to see how you tackle the problems, keep the photos coming.
            I was thinking about it but seemed like all the frames are to wide for the PW. If you have any suggestions though I am all ears.

For experience don't have a ton, have done different suspension swaps and generally auto tinkering but nothing this ambitious. I can work on it most days for a few hours to the entire day depending on how work is. I also have a uncle and a brother that are mechanics that can lend me a hand or some knowledge if needed (I do plan on leaning on them heavily) Might not be 2 months but not a deal breaker if not just hoping to get it back on the road soon to try and shake bugs out over the summer.

Ps I have been following your build very nice work.

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
            I like it! Subscribed!
            Thanks. Nice build yourself.

Comment

Is it usual to have the entire cab covered in leather? Looks nice but not sure if its "original". Dropped the tranny today and got all of the bolts out of the cab, running boards and bed. Ended up getting stuck with some work wasn't planning on so didn't get as much done as I wanted to. Hopefully pulling all of the sheet metal tomorrow and starting to strip down the cab and frame.

Comment

Had this little hiccup..... maybe 2 months is too ambitious.

Does anyone have a diagram of the windshield and vent assembly mine seems to be bent and missing parts. Was hoping to see how it works/ whats missing before I start taking it apart.

Comment

Truck looks to be well preserved from the southern climate. Excellent engine/drivetrain choices. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Originally posted by laddy View Post

Is it usual to have the entire cab covered in leather? Looks nice but not sure if its "original". Dropped the tranny today and got all of the bolts out of the cab, running boards and bed. Ended up getting stuck with some work wasn't planning on so didn't get as much done as I wanted to. Hopefully pulling all of the sheet metal tomorrow and starting to strip down the cab and frame.
                    Your images show an original headliner and sun visors. Not leather though. They are a dense cardboard.

Junior

Comment

For people that have switched transmissions what do you do about the winch? The driveshaft attaches to the transmission seems as if most people are not using the original transmission so curious as to my options. I know some use the power steering pump but what else is available?

All the rust on the outside of the truck, inside teh box is pretty rusty but otherwise looks pretty clean.

Comment

I'm going to be running a M12000 Warn electric winch. If you use your power steering pump get one for a 24v cummins with 2 return ports as they have more flow for the hydroboost brakes

The nv4500 also has PTO covers on both sides too, I'm sure there are wet kits available

Comment

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
                          I'm going to be running a M12000 Warn electric winch. If you use your power steering pump get one for a 24v cummins with 2 return ports as they have more flow for the hydroboost brakes

The nv4500 also has PTO covers on both sides too, I'm sure there are wet kits available
                          Thanks, we will see how it goes debating putting a hf12000 up front till I go through the winch then throwing it on the trailer; using a come a long and straps to get this beast on the trailer was no easy task. With a bit more searching it looks like the nv4500 takes a standard 6 bolt pto so I should be in business on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by laddy View Post
                            Thanks, we will see how it goes debating putting a hf12000 up front till I go through the winch then throwing it on the trailer; using a come a long and straps to get this beast on the trailer was no easy task. With a bit more searching it looks like the nv4500 takes a standard 6 bolt pto so I should be in business on that front.
                            Yes, that's what I'm working on for my truck. I have a chelsea 352 series reversible PTO that will mount on the driver's side and should feed the original winch.

Hard part has been the input gears. The NV 4500 is no longer in production, so the input gears (especially for the early Chevy version which was different than the later Chevy/Dodge) have to be special ordered. Took a while to track that down, and it's a long lead item. Luckily it's not exactly vital to normal operation. I'm sure there will be other issues once I get it but we'll see.

Comment

Well finally figured i update this. Time line is a bit shot lol but I ended up coming across a deal on a house that I could not pass up, however it turned into a total gut and remodel when I was only planning on doing the bathrooms and kitchen. So the power wagon got put on the back burner for a bit. Ive made some progress on it however mostly destructive. Its entirely stripped I've patched the rear of the cab, few spots in floor and a small part of the frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X