55 FFPW Tranny Shifting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 FFPW Tranny Shifting Issue

Hello, I’ve been enjoying the forum for some time now but this will be my first post. I have a 1955 FFPW that is nearly all original. It has a C-38711 transmission that I understand from the VPW catalog to be just about obsolete as far as replacement parts go. The transmission was rebuilt by the previous owner of the truck and seems to shift well the majority of the time. I’ve had two instances of the shifter being stuck in gear. The first time it stuck it appeared as though after shifting into third gear the guide pin broke allowing the lever to turn and move out of alignment with any of the forks. I lifted the top off found the shift lever would not move but all of the gears inside did move freely. I corrected the issue with the broken pin and drove the truck without issue for a few hundred miles. The second time I had an issue I was in fourth gear beginning to slow down for a stop sign. I pushed in the clutch and the shifter would not move out of gear. I removed the top and found that the shifter was stuck but all of the gears would move freely.
    I’m curious about whether the ball & spring could be hanging up on the rail for 3rd and 4th gear or if the issue is related to the guide pin. I have the top off, but haven’t taken anything apart yet. Are there any special tips to removing the rails? Are the spring and the ball going to be under much pressure? Is there any special lubricant that should be used on the rails?

The original guide pin wasn’t in the best shape to have any kind of an idea of how much tension that held on the lever ball. I tapped the hole and installed a bolt with the end machined to resemble the pin. The lever doesn’t feel sloppy, so I don’t suspect that. I would certainly investigate this further if anyone thinks that could be an issue. I did check and make sure that the shifter forks on both rails are tight.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to approach the repair would be greatly appreciated.

The tang on the very end of the shift lever where it engages the
    Forks is worn.
    You can weld up the tang then grind it into proper shape.
    Also the groove where the pin rides can receive the same
    Treatment.

Not a bad fix unless you can locate a newer one.

Tom
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks Tom! I'll take it apart and check it out.

Comment

Groove

I had the same problem. My shifter groove actually looked like an X when the shifter was first removed. Pin had really created wear. Made for some bad shifting problems. Wish I had taken a "before" picture, but this is my repaired shifter.
        Attached Files
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

I was sure I had taken some before pix before making that repair but I can't seem to find them. I will keep searching...that shift lever ball was pretty jacked up.

cd
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I had found a thread about a sloppy shifter, but I didn't make the connection with it causing it to lock up. I'm anxious to take it apart and see how worn it is.

This thread shows a few pictures of what you guys are talking about.
            http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=15222

Thanks again!

Comment

I took the shifter top apart this evening. There is a little bit of wear on the ball that should be straightforward to square away. The tang looks a little thin to me. Should it be tapered or is it worn like that?
              Attached Files

Comment

That tang is worn out and your problem.
                It's going to need a lot of welding.

Look at the picture of Doc Dave's in the thread link you
                Found.
                Huge difference.

Hopefully someone could provide measurements for you.

Maybe you can find a better one?
                VPW,http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

Midwest Military, http://www.midwestmilitary.net/

Dave Cirillo http://www.jobrated.com/index.html

Tom
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I was able to get a new one from VPW. There is a big difference!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would say so!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X