Hood Hinge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Hinge

I have a bent hood hinge on one of the wings of the hood. What is the best way to straighten that out? It looks like the rod inside the hinge is bent. I can't seem to get it out though as its bent. Also, any tips on aligning the hood better would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Mkeller131 View Post
    I have a bent hood hinge on one of the wings of the hood. What is the best way to straighten that out? It looks like the rod inside the hinge is bent. I can't seem to get it out though as its bent. Also, any tips on aligning the hood better would be appreciated.
    Not sure on the hinge, but I may be able to give you some tips on aligning the hood.

First are you sure the frame is not bent? If it is, the following will probably not be too effective. I would start at the cab and work forward. The cab mounts must be in good condition. The early ones were wood and the later ones were rubber. These both can deteriorate and compress over time. They also are not interchangeable. When they switched from the wood to the rubber, the rear cab mounts were relocated on the frame rails. Don't pay any attention to whether the lower edge of the cab is parallel to the running boards or not at this point in time as the running board wooden spacers can also be deteriorated and/or the brackets bent or weakened.

Once the cab is aligned to the frame, the radiator, grill, and cowl (as an assembly) can be raised or lowered by adding or removing washers between the lower support and frame bracket. It can also be tilted to one side or the other with the same washers. You probably will end up with not the same number of washers on both sides. After that, the radiator assembly can be tilted front or back by adjusting the rods that support it to the firewall. You can also add or remove twist with these rods if needed to make the radiator assembly parallel to the firewall.

After all of that, the fenders can be mounted and tweaked with washers where needed.

Hope this helps.

Junior

Comment

Thanks Junior! I will give this a try.

Comment

Working...
      X