No announcement yet.

Feel like I was just "violated" by the motor shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tom. So it doesnt matter if my timing marks are like this at TDC?

Comment

If you turn your engine over one revolution the timing marks will be next to each other, but the way you describe it sounds like its okay. #1 and #6 pistons are up at the same time, but one is on compression 360 degrees from the other.

Comment

Good question?
        I would have to think about that.

I have never put an engine together with the marks at 12 and 12:00,unless
        The manual showed it.
        Always 12:00 Crank and 6:00 cam
        Theoretically the cam is 180* out.
        Not sure what it would do to the lift and duration of this low HP cam,
        But would surely be a problem with custom ground cam.

Also the manual shows the marks with #6 piston @TDC
        Which is the same for #1,but one is on compression stroke and the othe other on Exhaust.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.
        I would try to correct it to look like the Dodge Service Manual Picture now.
        Would hate to do it over later.

Maybe someone has a better thought on this.
        Tom
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

The cam turns at half the speed of the crankshaft so the picture with the red marks is right, if you turn it one revolution the marks will be together in line with each other through the center of the shafts. You're good to go!

joemcc

Comment

And the saga continues...

Went to put on the flywheel this afternoon and the holes dont line up. Not to mention I'm two stud bolts short. I just want to double check this is not a Power wagon flywheel before I head to the motor shop tomorrow.

Thank you Joemcc for validating the timing.

Comment

Power Wagon engines have eight flywheel attachment bolts.

Frank

Comment

Thanks Frank, that's what I suspected. I called the shop and explained he gave me the wrong flywheel. A day later he calls me back and says he must have mixed it up with another customer and he ordered me a new one. Not even an apology or explanation how it may have happened. This guy is a class A tool.

Comment

Pilot bushing in crank?

Is there a pilot bushing supposed to be installed in the end of that crankshaft? They are usually bronze or Oilite and it looks pretty empty.
                  Just wondering...?
                  DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
                    Is there a pilot bushing supposed to be installed in the end of that crankshaft? They are usually bronze or Oilite and it looks pretty empty.
                    Just wondering...?
                    DrPepper
                    Ah, Christ now I'm getting really nervous. I don't know, that's why I took it to a "professional" shop.... I'll look into it. Thanks.

Comment

Since I too am from Illinois, would you mind sharing the name of the shop with me? Just so I don't happen to go to them for future work.

dpcd@t137.com

Junior

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                        Since I too am from Illinois, would you mind sharing the name of the shop with me? Just so I don't happen to go to them for future work.

dpcd@t137.com

Junior
                        John Graper, Grapers motor and radiator, Troy Grove IL.

Comment

Pilot bushing in crank, gotta have it.

My guess is the crank is made for a bushing and you can install it gently with a hammer. Measure the OD of your transmission input shaft. If you don't have a micrometer just use an adjustable wrench and scale to get close, +/-32nd". Then do your best to measure the ID of the crank. You should wind up with about 1/4"+ room for the bushing. They (generally) are a shell about an 1/8" to 3/16" thick and 1/2" - 3/4" long and prevent the trans input shaft from flopping around when the clutch is disengaged. Once the clutch is engaged it just supports the shaft in the crank and turns at the same speed.
                          Check "Vintage Power Wagons", they probably sell them. Don't let the shop order it.

Hope this helps.
                          DrPepper

Comment

should come with your clutch kit...

cd
                            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                            1954 Ford 860 tractor
                            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

http://www.superpages.com/bp/troy-gr...0502883575.htm

Be the first to write a review

Comment

I received a new pilot bushing and TO bearing from VPW so that's taken care of. The reviews will come later after the motor situation is taken care of.

I went to pick up the new flywheel he ordered for me (he got it from VPW) today. It was sort of banged up and had some surface rust so I told him I want it cleaned and surfaced (thats what I payed for). The eight studs were missing as well, which leads me to my next question. Does the flywheel attach with studs and nuts (like the photo) or are they bolt and nuts? I dont have my shop manual with me. He's now telling me he thinks he gave me the right flywheel back (the one in the photo with 6 holes). He said he's talking to someone at VPW and will get back to me later today.

Comment

Working...
                                X