No announcement yet.

1978 W150 "Southbounder" - new purchase barn find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright... more progress over the past few weeks.

Replaced diff fluid in front and rear to Valvoline 85W-140 with Mopar limited slip additive in the rear. Still haven't changed the T-Case oil yet, but I'm getting around to it.

I capped the Heated Air Inlet vacuum on the carb - it's running great once warm now. It still isn't running great with the choke on. I'm going to go through and re-check the choke settings. Might just install a manual choke to make this easier though...

I drove it about 15 miles and it ran great! No oil leaks, no smoke - all seems good!

That is, until I get home. It's leaking trans fluid AFTER it's driven. I've done a little research and it seems that the trans fluid trains from the torque convertor into the (727) transmission slowly after running. There is apparently a seal that can develop leaks, resulting in the trans fluid draining out of the torque convertor to leak out. It doesn't leak while running, but leaks about a pint or so over 48 hours each time it's stopped, so this seems like the right diagnosis. I'm doing my own research on this now, but any advice is appreciated!

Comment

Can you tell where on the trans the leak is coming from?

Did we already tell you not to use gear oil inthe xfer case?
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
        Can you tell where on the trans the leak is coming from?
        I haven't cleaned it up enough to absolutely confirm that the leak is coming from the shift lever seals though it looks to be, and I've read multiple reports on the RCC forum that the symptom (leaking after running, but not while running) means that the shift lever seals are leaking.

Yep - motor oil in the TCase. I'm still trying to find some non-detergent 10w-30 though. Seems impossible. I'm either going to go with a non-detergent straight SAE 30 oil or with Rotella 10w-30 in if I can't find anything. I'm leaning toward the non-detergent SAE 30.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X