Power Wagon Advertiser Forums Vintage Powerwagons Power Wagon Advertiser Magazine

Go Back   Power Wagon Advertiser Forums > MILITARY & CIVILIAN DODGE TRUCK RELATED FORUMS > Off-Road Techniques & Adventures

Notices

Off-Road Techniques & Adventures Mud, slick rock, and snow, how do you do it? What works for you? What did you learn the hard way; what has been your most memorable experience? Share your techniques.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Jason Mills
Registered

What type of jack do you carry? WDX-M37

I am creeping up on the day where I will be using one of my trucks in the woods, and wondering what type of jack was used back in the day? I do not remember seeing any mention of a jack in the M-37 manual ether, although I could have overlooked it.

a High lift jack seems like it would almost be the most portable and storable in my situation... but I rather prefer the idea of having the jack under the axle to change a tire, rather than lifting the whole body. Does that really only leave a bottle jack as the other option? I am imagining that for my situation it will not be used to help extract a stuck truck, but in case of the need to change a tire.
Jason Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
John Waak
Premium Forum User

I apologize to whomever it was that first posted this picture. It came up on either this site or Joe's Power Wagon Forum.

Much like today's jacks, the original jack that came with these trucks was marginal at best. Nevertheless, the original was a screw type bottle jack, and I would think that with careful measurement of the amount of lift needed, a quality bottle jack might be a good option.

And on second thought, the picture may only pertain to the civilian WDX-WM300 type trucks. I am sure someone with more familiarity of the M-37 will chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack_toolset_NOS_-2.jpg (31.0 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by John Waak; 10-10-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarification
John Waak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
Jason Mills
Registered

Thank you John.

I wonder where they stored those tools when the trucks were new?

In any case I will look into slightly modifying a bottle jack to be more field friendly and probably never have to use it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Frank Irons
Subscriber

Under the seat! The Auto Specialties jack is a nice unit, much lighter than a hydraulic jack. I used both, but I liked the mechanical jack better

Frank
Frank Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Clint Dixon
Spence and Junior Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Irons View Post
Under the seat! The Auto Specialties jack is a nice unit, much lighter than a hydraulic jack. I used both, but I liked the mechanical jack better

Frank
Hey Frank. Have a question and figured if anyone would know, you would. And, it could be of benefit to this thread.

I have an Auto Specialties jack that is original to my '51. I think the owner extended it out to far and a threaded shaft inside came out of a threaded nut (also inside). It probably sheared off a pin somewhere inside, or maybe even sheared the threaded shaft. I can raise and lower the telescopic tubing easily by hand, but no amount of cranking has any effect. Have you ever had one apart? I can not see how they even come apart.

Thanks. Junior

DODGE POWER-WAGON
CLINT DIXON
Clint Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
Frank Irons
Subscriber

Sorry Clint I never had one apart but there must be some way that it can be disassembled. I don't have one to look at so I can't help.

Frank
Frank Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Jason Mills
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Irons View Post

Frank
Good point, and now to find one. I maybe headed to a scrap yard and find a mechanical bottle jack... As it will never fail to reach full hight due to failed seal or fluid leak.

Thanks!