Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1974 Dodge D800

Hi all,

Pictured below is a 1974 Dodge D800 that was a Santa Barbara County water truck. It has a GVW of 29,xxx Lbs. It has a 11" tall double frame.

It is horribly rusted and beat up. There is scale rust bulging the outer double frame rails.

I was planning on making a hauler out of it using a crew cab, and powertrain from my 1993 W350 cummins NV4500 5 speed truck that has a salvage title from a wreck that bent the frame.

It has the heavy split ring cast spoke wheels.

It has the standard 50,000 PSI frame rails.

I'm thinking all that is left to salvage of this truck is the frame itself. However the rust is an issue and the front and rear crossmembers were nearly ripped out from getting towed/yanked out of the mud with a chain and hook apparently.

Maybe I should just start with a new truck and use this one as a parts truck. I would be looking for the best condition D500 and going from there.

Just some info/pics for your archives and for those interested. The only difference I suspect the D800 gives vs. the D500 is the wheels and tires.

It still only has a spicer 541 5 speed, and 361-3 motor. (that runs great)

From what I can tell. Frames were same from 500 up, varying wheelbases of course. Larger trucks may have had air brakes. And 2-speed rears were common to them.
    Also I think only the 800's were available with the 361/413 big blocks.

Thank you for the pictures. I actually could use the frame, mine is only 157" WB, but I reckon I can find one a bit closer. And yes mine is rusty too.

Body parts for those things are hard to come by. I'd see if anybody would be interested in them before scrapping.

Bucky

Comment

FYI only the 74's had those round dbl faced fender lights with separate side markers. 75-77 were integrated & square.

Bucky

Comment

frames

Greetings Bucky:

I have a line on a cherry D500 flatbed (no hoist) and here is one of the pictures he sent of the frame. It is a 10" SINGLE plate C channel frame. Observe the frame height in comparison with the forward spring perch on the D800 vs. the D500. The D800 outer frame is 11" tall. The inner full C is the standard 10" just like the D500.

The D500 frame only goes down to the TOP of the lower leaf/eyelet. The D800 Frame clears the BOTTOM of the lower leaf / Eyelet.

I believe according to the literature a heavy frame was optional on the D5/600 and standard on the D7/800. But just like anything there weren't enough trucks out there to even compare and most were custom ordered.

D500:

D500:

D800:

Oh and yes it has a GIANT eaton 2 speed rear end. That chunk is a heavy beast.

Comment

I based my statement on my 1974 FSM. I seem to recall all the specs being the same according to the charts. But I might be mistaken, will look at them again tonight.
          Obviously there is more than frame.

I wish there was somewhere dedicated to just 74-77 Medium dutys.

Bucky

Comment

Best I can tell, all W600's had the heavy dbl frame, same as my W500 swepty.

Bucky

Comment

This is one reference (may be for the pre 74 trucks)

Comment

I saw that on the olddodges site, assumed its the pre-74 medium dutys. But the wheelbases carried through to the end. I believe the longest was 221", but some S600 buses may have been longer.

Did you notice the 4 speed automatic listed on that chart?

Bucky

Comment

Yeah, I presume since it is labled as an (AT540) that it is the Allison 540 trans. 1:1 ratio in 4th... Pretty common even in the ford medium duty gassers of the era?!

Comment

My 74 FSM list 9" rails for all 500 thru 800 series trucks, but states that frame reinforcements are used for heavy duty applications and are standard on W600's.

Clark & Allison's were offered in the big boys along with the New Process trannys.

bucky

Comment

Geneo

I have a low mileage D800 with a good frame I might sell.

Comment

How much and location. Pics?

Comment

The truck is a 1974 D800 firetruck with a 413 engine, automatic, power steering, air brakes and has 12,600 miles on it. Body has no dents or rust thru. Paint is faded. Engine doesn't run good because of rust in fuel system. Have no pictures at present time. Located in West Des Moines, Iowa. Price $2600.

Geneo

Comment

Working...
                          X