Nice change of pace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice change of pace!

I've recently been drug out of bachelorhood and am engaged to be married. Part of my end of the preparations is to do some TLC to my 61 Desoto so we can us it for the wedding as it's the same car my parents used in their wedding.

Because the Power Wagon has been the primary project in my garage for many years now the poor girl has been neglected other than bare minimum care and maintenance, so while the problems aren't as bad as I worried they were, there's still a lot of maintenance to do.

The point of all this is that after 10 years of figuring out how to basically design and build my own truck, the last few weeks of replace/rebuild/repaint is almost calming and relaxing by contrast. Hardest part is trying to find some instructions on how this TRW power steering pump is supposed to go back together since I was an idiot and lost the orientation of the wipers.

I do need to get my running boards fabricated and installed on the Power Wagon though, the tires kick stuff all over the side of the truck pretty badly without them.

I at times also enjoy the change of pace, for me it is working on the farm. Doing fence work, cutting trees. I have been pondering getting a vintage car of some sort again. Then I walk into the shop and see two Power Wagons, 2 Jeeps, have 3 more Jeeps outside, and service and maintain my grandfathers 36 Ford Coupe, along with his 56 and 58 Fairlane's. Congratulations on your recent engagement. Enjoy!
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Not many `61 Desoto's around anymore. The Virgil Exner design times, I love it.

I had a `61 Imperial 2-door and loved it very much it rode like your riding on a cloud not that recommend it or have done so.

Comment

Congratulations Damien on your upcoming wedding.
        As someone who has seen your DeSoto, it is going to be a cool extra for the event as well as a family tie-in.
        I hope you post some pics, especially after the paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          Congratulations Damien on your upcoming wedding.
          As someone who has seen your DeSoto, it is going to be a cool extra for the event as well as a family tie-in.
          I hope you post some pics, especially after the paint job.
          Thanks all.

Most of the painting is being done under the hood. The car has 57k original miles, so my goal is to keep as much original as I can, but the heads needed redone for a few different reasons, and that lead to cleaning up and rebuilding a lot of the engine parts and accessories, which haven't been touched in many years if ever, in addition to normal tuneup items.

I also had a battery leak and that damaged paint on the inside of the engine bay, so there's been some work to try and mitigate that damage, but I'm trying not to do too much to the original paint, other than to try and touch up a few dings and nicks and get it clean.
          Attached Files

Comment

413 ?

Comment

Yes, Uncle swapped in the engine and trans from a 62 New Yorker when the original 727 developed a crack in the case. Also got better mileage in the hills of PA since the 361/2bbl had to work a lot harder.

Comment

Working...
              X