Connecting Rod Lock Washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Rod Lock Washers

What can you guys tell me about the history of the Dodge/Chrysler flatheads use of lock washers under the connecting rod nuts? I have some anecdotal evidence indicating that earlier engines used these washers, and later engines did not. I have seen two sets of 230 rods that used lock washers, one set of 265 rods that also used them, and a set of 251 rods that did NOT use them. I suspect the 230 and 265 rods are fairly relatively early parts, but the 251 rods are definitely from a later engine that was built in the early 60’s.

The reason I ask is because I am considering whether to use washers in my 265 rods, which is the original setup, vs. having the caps machined to remove the recesses where the washers reside and just use the nuts directly on the caps. That is the way the 251 rods are set up. The nuts on the 251 and 265 look identical to each other, and identical to some of the 230 nuts. The reason I’m considering getting rid of the washers is on the recommendation of someone who is pretty familiar with these engines, due to a concern over the washers cracking in service, which could loosen that joint and make for a bad day if a bolt lets go. This may make some sense, if my assumption is correct about Chrysler/Dodge dropping the washers in later years, but there is a part of me that says I should just stick with what came out of the factory. I think virtually all engines since the 60’s or 70’s have come without lock washers on the rods, so that may be further support for this argument.

The same question could be asked about the main bearing caps. I was looking at those on my old 230 last night, and I see that I put on some grade 8 washers when I rebuilt it. I don’t have a specific memory of the mains having lock washers, but I think they must have, or else I probably would not have put any on them. On the other hand, the 251 I recently disassembled did not have any washers of any kind under the main cap bolt heads.

Thanks.
Working...
X