Restorable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waspworks View Post
    Thanks Bruce but when I tried "insert image" I was only presented with the option to "Please enter the URL of your image:" ??? and not to be able to upload to a site bank or anything like that.
    Plus they seem to only allow tiny files at 125kb and 800 pix wide?

I managed to attach the pic you see below (current project shows direction i am taking), but seems to be no way of placing it between text or dictating where it lands in the story line.

I have a lot to show and say but dont have the tech know how at the moment.
    I was under the impression you were just getting started. Looks like you're well on your way, looks good. What motor is that? ... and sorry, can't help you about the pics and such. I just downsize mine all to 800 pixels width, and yeah, they just get tacked onto the end of each post (not sure that can be avoided).

Comment

Originally posted by JReed View Post
      I was under the impression you were just getting started. Looks like you're well on your way, looks good. What motor is that? ... and sorry, can't help you about the pics and such. I just downsize mine all to 800 pixels width, and yeah, they just get tacked onto the end of each post (not sure that can be avoided).
      Motor is GM LS3 6.2lt with 6L80E 6spd auto and Nissan Patrol transfer case married through an alloy 'Patrol to GM' transfer case adapter.
      Diffs are 4.11:1 GU Nissan Patrol (LSD rear) giving disc brakes and coil springs all round.
      Tires will be 37" so the whole package will cruise at around 1800rpm @ 70MPH.

Not meaning to crash on your thread so I will start my own soon and show/explain all the details there.

Greg.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great

You need to use low resolution pictures. The only way I know how to do this is to shoot them that way with my camera . Articles for the PWA magazine need to be shot in high resolution. Keep practicing, you will get the hang of it. I have only managed to get the text under the pictures on one occasion. Not sure how that happened.
        We need to keep articles flowing to the PWA to keep this site up and running.

take care
        Bruce

Comment

Wasworks,

Interesting setup, look forward to your post and progress. As for posting pictures, the image/file size limit in "attaching" images here are done to keep the PWA server disc space usage low (and cost effective). The "inserting" images thru the URL capability allow you to not only insert any image/file size, but also place the images through out your post. In order to use the URL insert method, your pictures must be uploaded to a WEB site that allows for other servers to link and display them. Some of the image/picture hosting services used by many in the past no longer support this capability as it bypasses their advertiser income stream.

Will
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

JReed,

Beautiful work and an amazing picture. The work is just beautiful. Keep the progress and pictures coming.

Will
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

As far as the bed goes, most of it is new. I had a lot of fitment problems with things, but I've got them all straightened out now. In the past I've made the mistake of painting or powder coating repro parts before I did a mockup and cost myself a lot. Anyway, trying not to do that anymore. I got an old M-37 two piece rear bumper and cut it to fit the power wagon. Actually ended up over cutting a bit because I forgot I hadn't put the bed up on pads yet, also the rear cross member was hangin a bit low. The rear end is all fitting well now so I just pulled it apart again and I'm gettin it carted up to send to paint.
              That body looks superb JReed. Clearly all new panels/kit..?

Can you give details of where they were purchased / $ / Shipping costs ?

Greg.

Comment

Waspworks, you are a veritable "BeeHive" of activity. Sorry I just had to do that.
                Interesting choice of drive train Greg, are you going to use towers like alex did on his WC53? I look forward to your steer linkage solution.
                Keep pounding away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                  Waspworks, you are a veritable "BeeHive" of activity. Sorry I just had to do that.
                  Interesting choice of drive train Greg, are you going to use towers like alex did on his WC53? I look forward to your steer linkage solution.
                  Keep pounding away.
                  Good post Bob - That made me look up what 'Alex' was up too. I havent seen any pics of what he is using for front springs but will track that down soon I imagine.
                  Has Alex done a specific thread detailing his work or is it all scattered amidst the large WC53 Carryall thread?

My front shock towers will be fabricated and sit just rearward of the coils.

'You're' looking forward to seeing my steering linkage solution? So am I :-)
                  I'm sure I will conquer that hurdle as the mock up becomes more solid.

Greg.

Comment

Greg, Have a look at post 1672 on page 42 of the WC53 thread. I think that will clarify things a bit.
                    I personally plan to poach a number of Alex's ideas.

Comment

Alex thread

You would have to look on pirate4x4 for that.
                      Although there are lots of ideas tucked away on The Carryall Thread. The rear fenders on the panel truck being one good example.

Bruce
                      and it is REALLY wet here today

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        You would have to look on pirate4x4 for that.
                        Although there are lots of ideas tucked away on The Carryall Thread. The rear fenders on the panel truck being one good example.

Bruce
                        and it is REALLY wet here today
                        Thanks Bruce - Would it be 'bad form' for someone to post the link to Alex's thread on Pirate4X4 here?

Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Waspworks View Post
                          That body looks superb JReed. Clearly all new panels/kit..?

Can you give details of where they were purchased / $ / Shipping costs ?

Greg.
                          Hey Greg. Yeah, all new. The bedsides, fenders, and rear crossmember all came from Matt Tisdale. My rear fenders aren't an original 'crowned' reproduction, but I think Matt is actually making those now too. The Tailgate came from Classic Enterprises; they're the only place I found that has the 'DODGE' stamped in a third series tailgate. Heres their link: http://www.classicent.com/dodge/. The front headboard came from MAR-K beds. As far as cost, I had to sell my snowmobile to afford everything, ha, didn't want to be reminded. I'll pm you the breakdown. What series bed does your truck have?

Comment

Hey Greg. Yeah, all new. The bedsides, fenders, and rear crossmember all came from Matt Tisdale. My rear fenders aren't an original 'crowned' reproduction, but I think Matt is actually making those now too. The Tailgate came from Classic Enterprises; they're the only place I found that has the 'DODGE' stamped in a third series tailgate. Heres their link: http://www.classicent.com/dodge/. The front headboard came from MAR-K beds. As far as cost, I had to sell my snowmobile to afford everything, ha, didn't want to be reminded. I'll pm you the breakdown. What series bed does your truck have?
                            Thanks for the email and info above Joel. I had not come by the stamped tailgate from Classic Enterprises before so that is a really handy lead.

Based on your info above, I have sent an email to Matt Tisdale to get the communication ball rolling about the fabricated panels but also to express my hightened interest about the possibility of the new 'crowned' rear fenders. It has been suggested elsewhere that Matt was also working on new front fenders faithful to the original.

I am not sure if shipping all the way to West Aus is going to present a cost or logistical problem but hopefully I can report some good news here soon.

My truck is a Chrysler Australia assembled and RHD converted vehicle which came with a completely different rear body than you guys had there.
                            Apart from being quite rusty and dinged up, it is also missing the tailgate and is too wide for the wheels I plan on running so is definitely not something I plan on reconditioning.

Pics of my body attached..

Thanks again Joel - Talk soon.

Greg.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Progress

So I've been pretty busy at work lately, but still making progress. The truck cab and bed are down in Fort Collins for paint. The guy is pretty busy but I think he'll get a start on things this week.

I got lots of little parts sorted out and fixed up for powder coat recently. 73 pieces in total... all the glass channels and lots of other stuff. I already got it all back and everything turned out well, it was surprisingly inexpensive too.

I've started on finishing my bed wood. I put Smith's CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) on everything to begin with and on top of that I'm using Epifanes Varnish. This is the best testing varnishing system I've come across (CPES used with Epifanes). Anyway, still adding coats at this point.
                              Attached Files

Comment

few more...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X