Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 Ram W-250 electrical gremlins

Hi All,

I thought some would be interested in what I found out when I was chasing down what I at first thought was a bad TPS on the diesel Ram with the 4th overdrive auto trans. This sensor is located on top of the injector pump. It looks like a lump of plastic, and is about 1.5" x 1.5" x .75". ( I had one go bad several years ago, and when it does, it causes the tranny to randomly shift between 3rd and OD, between the speeds of 32 - 50 mph. At least on my truck) Anyway, at the same time this was happening, I was also having random dash warning lights coming on, and the cruise control quit working. The tranny this time was simply locked out of OD, but otherwise worked fine. For once we did diagnostic work before replacing parts, and found all parts were working as they should, which lead us to the transmission computer. It's located in the drivers front fender, behind the battery. When I took it out and unplugged it, I found that almost all the pins were corroded, as were their corresponding holes. After cleaning it all up with spray electrical cleaner and plastic wire wheel, I put a dab of die-electric grease in each hole and ran a thin line around the edge of the cap to help seal it. When I started the truck, I found that all of the electrical issues were gone. Everything worked as it should. I have to say, I would have never found that on my own. Didn't even know about the trans computer. Anyway, just wanted to pass on what I found out, as it may help save someone else agony over maddening electrical issues.

Keep on truckin'

Its a WIN when you get things figured out without throwing a bunch of parts at it!!

Thanks for sharing.

Bucky

Comment

this has been a common problem on the 1988 to 1993 trucks for years now / the PCM [ powertrain computer module] is what its called inside the fender behind the battery / also the connectors and the back of the motor on the right side firewall also have a corrosion problem

Comment

Hi Dodgeboys, Could you explain in a little more detail what you mean in the last sentence of your reply? I'm a little fuzzy about what your saying.... Thank you!

Comment

its a little late but attached is the connectors on a V8, a diesel should be similar
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X