Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation thread.

Hello,
    I am contemplating a thread on the subject of preservation/conservation methods. I would like to do more research first, as I know so little at the moment. One of my goals is to learn from others as well as share this with others.
    My queries and searches so far have found this is a subject lacking in good coverage online. I am selfishly motivated as my goal is to learn how to preserve my '47 WDX vs restore it. For example, what techniques are best for dealing with surface rust? Or, how do you best clean and preserve the upholstery. (I haven't even been able to determine exactly what the original PW seat material is.) What materials may be needed and where can they be sourced? Etc., etc.
    I would like advice as to where in the Forum would be most appropriate for such a thread.
    Suggestions appreciated.
    David

David let me give it some thought, something along the lines of Preservation or Restoration? I am initially thinking The Back Room but may think about it as its own sub group.

It is a very interesting subject, one that is gathering much speed lately.

Thank you!
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Good Morning,
      Thank you for the reply. No hurry.
      I will be more interested in the how of it (preservation/conservation) than the debate on it (preservation vs restoration,) although that will no doubt come up.
      I suspect that much in the way of techniques will come from the art/antiquites conservation field. My thought would be to begin this with an article (if acceptable) for the PWA and have it continue on the Forum. It will likely progress slowly as there may well be the need to try a product or technique out before discussing it. Because so much has been made of the trend in recent years of preserving "survivor" cars and trucks, I was quite surprised at how difficult it has been to discover good information on how to go about it. The few shops specializing in this kind of work do not openly discuss their methods and generally deal with high value vehicles owned by folks with deeper pockets than mine. I just thought that as I learned stuff I should share it, and that I also would profit from the feed back and hopefully others would contribute as well.
      Thank you,
      David

Comment

Working...
      X