Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint

Ok so i have a couple of colors. A nice desert tan that will be totally flat when dry and the O.D. that will be a semi-gloss.
    The tan is a urethane modified alkyd enamel from home hardware..very high solids, will need probably 15% reducer or more. Looks like a decent paint.
    The O.D. is Tremclad oil base... the evil i know.. goes on well with 10% laquer thinner as a reducer. Formula for the O.D. is
    3 parts gloss yellow
    2 parts flat black
    1 part red oxide primer.

Easy peasy.

The tan is a little more complicated but if there is interest ill post the mix.
    I just brushed on these testers..ill post another pic when they dry.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Heres an shot of how the color lightens up and flattens out on the O.D. as it cures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well..the tan is dry to the touch now..the data sheet for it says the temp must stay above 10°C for the first 24 hours..it was -3°C in the shop overnight so it doesnt seem that sensitive..
      The O.D. is still a tiny bit tacky but flowed out better. The yellow left on the lids of the cans is still tacky whereas the black and red oxide are dry..the red oxide being the hardest.
      Ill get a pic in the natural light tomorrow and post it up.

Comment

How did it turn out?

Comment

Im a looong way from paint on the WC53..work is eating all my time. What time i do have is going into getting the house built. So pretty much in stasis for the moment.
          the tan is a urethane modified enamel and the recomended thinner is that enviro turps..seems to me it would be a rediculously slow reducer..but intil i have time to spray some there is no hard evidence.
          ill get back when i have more info on this.
          on a side note i now have access to the paint the shipyard uses..milspec marine epoxies..surface tollerant and good to apply down to 5° ..so i may be going in that direction.. more to follow.

Comment

El Muerto, I do not see the shot of how it turned out. It appears no picture posted.
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I just did a test panel..the pic is in post #2

Comment

Working...
              X