Big Block Oil Pump issues and the Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Block Oil Pump issues and the Fix

When a big block Dodge decides to lose oil pressure it takes right around 5 minutes to notice.

I checked the oil line for leaks, there were none and you could hear the valve train start to rattle. A shining light on the moment was that my friend Dylan was at the farm and my Power Wagon was pulled back to the shop by another Power Wagon. To start my diagnosis I disconnected the battery. Followed by the removal of the distributor.

Then came the oil Pump drive shaft, a unique shaft with a gear the lives between the distributor and the oil pump. The first problem was the end of the drive gear was twisted off and inside of the oil pump.

Once I saw this damage I knew the oil pump must be removed.

From the top side of the motor to the underside of the truck, a W200 is enjoyable to work on due to the amount of room.

The oil Pump was seized solid. Once taken apart I found a small piece of rubber that had wedged inside the oil pump itself. How did it get there? Some how this small piece of rubber plastic material stopped my W200 in its tracks.

Consulting was required, A friend of mine with an immeasurable amount of big block Dodge experience was called. Somehow this piece got passed the oil pump screen. Impossible I thought.

Next step was oil pan removal, oil was drained bolts were removed and the pan came down easily, again atleast there is alot of room under a W200. What did I see but an oil pump screen, bare no baffle with a perfect hole in the center the size of a dime.

Confusion, heartache, frustration followed. Again more consultating with Doug, followed by sheer terror that no matter where I searched I couldn't find a front sump pick up assembly for my truck.
    Days turned into weeks, I pulled the main bearing caps and inspected them, Standard bearings with very little wear were found. Still unable to find an oil pick up assembly.

One day I had the idea to go through the sealed power engine catalog, not finding a pickup anywhere near the shape and size of mine, although I did find a screen that dimensionally was exact to my screen. It happened to fit a 455 Pontiac and had a crossbar baffle built into the screen.

Thirteen dollars later I had a screen, I do not have a tig welder and not trusting my skill as a mig welder on the oiling system of my beloved W200 I decided to just replace the screen in my factory oil pickup tube.
    Pondering how to do it over a bottle of Coca Cola I decided to slowly grind away at the new pickup and remove the screen. Around and around on the grinder I went until the outer ring of the pickup came off much like opening a tuna can.

With the factory pick up assembly I couldn't do that, I had to be able to save the small outer lip to reinstall the new screen. With a small chisel the tip measures a 1/16 of an inch wide I worked my way around until I had a nice edge and the screen with the hole was laying on my bench.

Taking the new screen placing it into the factory pick up assembly and then spending the next few hours re crinping the edge.

Satisfied with the look and feel of the screen, I re installed the pick up the windage tray the pan. Installed the new oil pump and filled the system with castol GTX 20w50 oil. Needing an oil pump priming tool I used my badsaw for a straight cut I lost a snap on allen wrench and a really nice 5/16 masonry bit that measured 2 feet long. I felt my skills with a welder were good enough to make these 2 pieces one.

It worked, remember when priming a Big Block oil pump it runs backwards or counter clockwise. In a few minutes I had 50 plus pounds of oil pressure, I knew this because I set my cell phone to record and turned it around, clipped to the steering wheel pointing at the oil pressure gauge. Hang on tight to your drill, at this point when it builds pressure the drill will kick back, much like a 44 magnum.

Installing the distributor, plugging in the electrical connections and He fired, "chewbaca, chewbaca, chewbaca." Sounded of the 440 as he came to life.

I will attach pictures of this repair.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

I had the same thing happen on my 440 back in the 80's. Trash got into the pump, locked it up & broke the tip off of the intermediate shaft. I think the trash was a piece of old valve stem seal that made it's way down into the pan.

My dad fabricated me one of those rods to prime the pump. I wish I still had it.

I love that big blocks have external oil pumps.

Bucky

Comment

I can make you up one out of the parts I have left if interested and you are in need. I do not have a good enough internet connection this evening to upload pictures. Hit or miss with my internet connection here. I will post pictures up tomorrow. I believe my debris was also part of a valve stem seal.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Thanks. Now I'll worry.

Comment

Pictures of the damage and repair
          Attached Files
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Pictures of the screen
            Attached Files
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Checking the bearings
              Attached Files
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Screen Repair
                Attached Files
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Final screen repair
                  Attached Files
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Didn't know you were looking....

My 318 had issues with oil pickup placement and I found the Melling Oil Pump catalog very helpful.
                    I just checked the web site again, it's still there but they have changed the search functions a bit. Melling had the pictures, dimensions and part numbers and I ordered the new pickup I needed from O'Reiley, had it in a couple of days.

http://www.melling.com/
                    http://www.mellingengine.com/

BTW..Nice fix.
                    Anyway...for future reference.
                    DrPepper

Comment

Good pictures!

Brings back memories haha.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                      X