No announcement yet.

1949 Power Wagon resto mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the drawing I used. I think it came from someone on Joe's site but I don't remember who to provide credit. I used some composite decking to make the blocks, the boards are thinner than spec and I needed a bit of a body lift to help clear the transmission, so I rather than the tar fabric that went between the cab and block I used some urethane sheet I got off of e-bay, hoping for a little flex and still hold up to the elements.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Desoto! The guy on eBay messaged me back and said he won't give the dimensions. I see he's a member here too so probably seen this thread. Anyway thanks again, I can work with that!

Comment

No problem, the archives here and at Joe's site have most of the answers you might want, finding them isn't always the easiest though.

After looking at the photos I posted I will add that the blocks I built are also longer than factory too, I figured the extra support area couldn't hurt, and I wasn't exactly going for factory original on this build anyway.

I think the original ones are made of oak and use a piece of coated cloth as an isolator between the block and cab.

Comment

Yes I don't think extra support is a bad idea either.

Comment

Used some oven cleaner to scrub up the engine, etch primer then paint

Pulled the box and fuel tank and differentials then got the frame on the rotisserie

Comment

Comment

What type paint did you use for the engine? I'm SO envious of your workshop!

Comment

Pretty sure it was DuPont engine enamel but I'll confirm that tomorrow. Need to do a few touch ups still, I switched the motor mounts side to side to move the motor ahead 1.5", also need to switch the trans adapter plate to the nv4500 style so both those will need some paint

Thank you! I'm pretty proud of it, the last few years I've been using my driveway for wrenching while I've been saving up to build this. Finished it up about 2 months ago

Comment

Went out last night after the kids were in bed and finished cutting crap off the frame, grinding and cutting.

This morning I started dabbing up the gooseneck hitch, I had a 16" purlin I had saved from a industrial renovation years ago so I hauled that down to the shop and started cutting it to shape. Finished it and the brackets and got one bracket welded on, much better! Had to run up to my neighbours and get a couple pieces of 2.5" square tubing from him to finish the hitch

Comment

Comment

Finished the frame and turnover hitch late last night, needed to have the kids in the shop all day as momma was working so the welding/cutting/grinding needed to be done.

Today my oldest daughter and I got two good coats of paint on the frame

Comment

Before, during and after

Comment

I went through the front and rear diff's and serviced them. After that they got a cleaning and a fresh coat of primer and paint. The frame moved over to the hoist and the diff's and trans crossmember are loosely installed. Also drilled all the 5/8" (4) and 1/2" (12) holes for the hitches. Needed to use gloves to handle my 20v dewalt half way through that!

I'm not sure where the trans mount will end up yet and pretty sure it's going to need some tweaking between switching the motor mounts to move the engine ahead 1.5" and the different length of the NV trans

Comment

Comment

Haven't got to much done lately but still some progress, plowed a road into the donor truck to grab the engine adapter. Installed the clutch and new pilot bushing, new throw out bearing, cleaned and painted the transmission.

I wanted some diff covers but they just aren't in the budget so I thought I would try some stainless Allen heads. I like the way it looks and the best part is the price was right!

Comment

Working...
                                X