Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who admits to having one?

Or two?
    I have a '91 donor; bought for the drivetrain and frame for my '39 sedan. Kid I bought it from had already stuffed it with a 318/727 and an Edelbrock intake. Runs and sounds good, too.
    My '93 (the fetch truck) was bought cheap ($600) and I've put 135K miles on it so far. Had to rebuild the tranny and TC, but the engine is still running good. When the body finishes falling apart, I think I'll swap that drivetrain into the '40, and look for yet another Dakota.

I wonder what kind of mileage they get.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gas mileage or total miles?

I have never kept one past 87,000 miles. The 2nd gen Dakota I had started doin' the nickle and dime bit, so I traded to a 3rd gen Dakota early.

As far as gas mileage: My 3rd gen with 4.7L / 3.55 gears gets 12 - 14 city and sometimes up tp 18 mpg highway.

Comment

my Automag gets about 8 to 10 if l,m easy on it / but my WT work truck 98 Dak with 3.9 gets around 16 and about 20 on the hiway

Comment

The 87 4cyl stick 2wd got 26 in town and 31 on the highway.

The 93 6cyl stick 4wd got 16 in town and 20 on the highway. In 4wd, it was about 13 and 17 on hard pack; a lot less in the soft stuff.

The 93 8cyl auto 4wd gets 15 and 18, down hill with a tailwind. But it sure sounds good!

All of them were driven past 200K, and the 8cyl (fetch) is still used, though it's more of a spare truck today. Some of the parts from the 6cyl are in fetch, and I have more of them yet on the bench in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
            The 87 4cyl stick 2wd got 26 in town and 31 on the highway.

The 93 6cyl stick 4wd got 16 in town and 20 on the highway. In 4wd, it was about 13 and 17 on hard pack; a lot less in the soft stuff.

The 93 8cyl auto 4wd gets 15 and 18, down hill with a tailwind. But it sure sounds good!

All of them were driven past 200K, and the 8cyl (fetch) is still used, though it's more of a spare truck today. Some of the parts from the 6cyl are in fetch, and I have more of them yet on the bench in the garage.
            I like the numbers for the 4 cylinder.

Comment

My '90 had 313,000+ on it when I sold it running and passed smog; two transmissions. It got about 18mpg overall; V-6 with auto and club cab, 2wd.

My 2000 has 189,000 on the original auto trans (and I've towed a military dumpturck on a trailer with it, among other loads) and gets about 16 mpg overall; 4.7 V-8 with auto, 4-door crew cab, 2wd.

-Ken J

P.S.: The dumptruck load was a Gross Veh. Wt. of 13,750 lbs.; the Dakota with tools and me in it weighed 5,250 lbs and the trailer weighed 2,100 lbs.

Comment

2003 Dakota Quad Cab daily driver

V6 5 speed 2WD with a LSD. I love it, have done a bunch of subtle mods to it, 3 trophies in stock truck class over the last 4 years. I came here because of my '57 TW/PW and am surprised to find a Dakota forum. I usually hang out at:
                http://www.dakota-durango.com
                They have done a good job following the Dak/Dur line.

DrPepper

Comment

I got a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, 4.7 l v8 with 5 speed manual. Just over 156,000 miles. Drives like the day I bought it. I love it!!! Last month I hadda have the rear end redone as a retainer pin fell out and allowed the carrier to move and start rubbing on everything that moved.

So now I got a totally new rear end except for the axle case; new bearings, ring, pinyon, carrier, all of it.

Ready for another 150 grand!!

Nick

Comment

Dad's got a '98 4-banger 5sp CLUB CAB that gets about 26 with mixed town and open road driving. thats with 3.91s. it pushes closer to 30 with pure freeway driving, but with a club cab thats getting to be a heavy truck for that 2.5 to be pushin down the road.

Oh, and it passes WA state emissions without a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by 2x1972 View Post
                      Dad's got a '98 4-banger 5sp CLUB CAB that gets about 26 with mixed town and open road driving. thats with 3.91s. it pushes closer to 30 with pure freeway driving, but with a club cab thats getting to be a heavy truck for that 2.5 to be pushin down the road.

Oh, and it passes WA state emissions without a cat.
                      Is it a 2 wheel drive truck or 4 wheel drive?

Comment

Thats a 2wd. I am under the impression that all 3rd gen (possibly across the board?) 2.5's are 2wd. I stress the club cab because they are very hard to find with a 4 cylinder.

Comment

My Dak saving my brother's Power Wagon

Link:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=12266

Comment

I drive a 2011 Dakota extended cab for work.

I do not care for this truck in any reasonably discussed fashion. With the exception of me not having the payment for the truck or fuel, I have nothing positive to relay about the truck.

The 3.7L V6 is low on power, sucks fuel down (10 city/14 hwy) and I can't see out the rear or side windows.

I previously had an '06 F350 extracab 4x4 shortbed with the V10: better mileage, gangs of power, and 415 cubic inches! Loved that truck.

Russell

Comment

In high school my best buddyy had a late 80's single cab it was 2 tone brick red and dinge white. We mashed the thing everywhere, beach, hills, desert it was unstopable. Horrible gas as i remember everytime my buddy would pick us up he would tax us for fuel. It caught fire and went to live in the junkyard.

Comment

Working...
                              X