No announcement yet.

1948 power wagon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "bell housing part" was not loose even though you were smarter than I since I had installed the cab forgetting about the speedo cable so had to jack up the back of cab about 4" and fish the cable in using some long nose pliers from underneath the transfer case to tighten up. Only other difference is that I am using the original cable (not sure if there is any difference at its ends)

Comment

• Well i was able to get the cab lifted and onto the chassis before I left town for a couple weeks. Slowly but surely it is coming together. D5C8E8BB-1A83-4A8B-82A6-F6FB58424E49.jpeg

Comment

• Nice

Comment

• Indeed, looking nice.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Todd, I have to say, such a fantastic job on this build. It really is coming together very beautifully. Thank you
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• The color will look good once it’’s buttoned up.

Comment

• Wet sanding to 2000 is complete and only a little left to buff. To make room In my garage I need to get some parts installed. Went to get a door on an for the life of me I can not remember how the side mirrors are attached.

Can someone please help on my side mirror installation? I knew this would be an issue and took photos of how they went together and stored those in a safe place that I still can not find. I am looking for a photo of how they are attached at the hinge. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Spent some time on the wood for the flat bed After getting it from the mill. I choose hard maple and should of changed that decision once I found out what the three boards in the second photo cost to get milled to create the 2x4s for the sides/stake pockets and wood spacers between frame and C channel of the flat bed.

Borrowed my neighbors wood shop and enlisted my my youngest who then drug his friend into cutting the tongue and grooves. Took more time than anticipated and ruined two boards as the router bit kept slipping in the collet until I switched to a 1/2” shank router bit. Could have been over heating or just a worn out router/collet. Will have to go to the mill to replace the two boards I stole from what would have been for the sides.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 86261223-9D04-4ECE-A309-0917DF781929.jpeg
                    Originally posted by Todd M View Post
                    Wet sanding to 2000 is complete and only a little left to buff. To make room In my garage I need to get some parts installed. Went to get a door on an for the life of me I can not remember how the side mirrors are attached.

Can someone please help on my side mirror installation? I knew this would be an issue and took photos of how they went together and stored those in a safe place that I still can not find. I am looking for a photo of how they are attached at the hinge. Thanks for the help.
                    Is this what you are looking for ?

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                      Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice Picture! He was looking for the opposing side where that very short bolt attaches the bracket to the door hinge itself, on my 46 I have one factory arm as this on the drivers door and a different. the c clamp design on the passenger door. It works great as a reference.

• D22C4FDF-8CAA-4CAC-BD65-87AB396B4B44.jpeg Gyman98 thanks for the help. That was what I was looking for but it seems you have a different system. Matthew got me on the straight and narrow again when I called for an additional part. Thank you both for the help.

Got the flatbed back from powder coating and mounted it with my sons this past weekend. I was also able to hang the doors with the extra help.

Comment

• Finally fitted the wood for the bed with my tie down bars. Started work on the sides. Once I have the sides fitted it will be disassembled to be stained and waterproofed.

Of course any flat surface in my garage becomes a work bench.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Finished fitting the stake pocket sides. They have been disassembled and sanded to remove any blemishes. Majority of the maple 2x4s had a side that was slightly burnt from when I cut them. Even a new blade did not resolve the issue. Anyways they are all now sanded and ready to be stained.

The 68 stainless steel bolts and nuts for the sides should arrive just in time. Did not imagine that there would be that many but they added up quickly.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• The bed looks awesome, how are you ever going to be able to load something into it after all that hard work !!

Comment

• Finished staining and applying the urethane over the last several days. Wet sanded with 500 before the last coat of urethane as I was told by someone and I have to say it looks Like glass and a lot better. Good advice but more work than I anticipated.

Assembled the bed this morning hopefully for the last time. I have not decided how I will have my gas tank filled at this time - thru the bed or out to the side. If I go thru the bed it will be simple as I only have to remove the rear tie down bar (3 bolts) and slide a board out.

I will I’ll have to shorten the bolts that came with the stake pocket corner brackets - 1” to long.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Matt Wilson
                              Matt Wilson commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looking really snazzy!

• Well after several months of applying penetrating oil to the windshield connector screws I told myself today is the day they come out or get drilled out. Well actually 3 days ago - slow to post. They had been heated and cooled to no luck a month ago so I was really thinking they would have to be drilled out but with my son pinning it to the floor with his feet and pushing me down on top of the screw driver - to keep the screw driver engaged - like my weight should have been enough. Well we got four of them to come out - 2 on each side. Talk about a happy day. For such small screws they did not want to give up without a fight.

Then it was a tug tug a war to get the halves separated.

Here is a photo of them in their drying place along with some additional pieces that were going black.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X