Tire and wheel decision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire and wheel decision...

I want to get some opinions. The M37 i am restoring needs new shoes. I am keeping the engine as stock as it came and drive it 45 mph. I'll change over to power steering and disc brakes as funds allow. I want to use skinny 37-38" tall super swampers and am torn between getting new wheels made or just mount them on the stock splitrims.

Knowing how I'll use my truck...what does the hive mind think?

In my opinion for an M37 with the stock engine knowing that on a really good day you will be driving 55mph all day long, which normally will not happen why spend the money on the aftermarket wheels. I have seen, rode in and driven many Power Wagons and M37s with the 11.00x16 tires mounted on stock wheels and they do fantastic down the highway. My opinion is to stick with the stock wheels. And put that 1200 or so dollars towards other truck parts.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

IMO the biggest reason to have rims made is accessibility, there was one shop in my area that wanted anything to do with the split rings, going to more modern rims meant that basically any tire shop can work on them.

If you're going to go to the trouble of getting new rims made half the benefit comes from being able to go to bigger/wider to properly support more modern tires. A 12.5" wide 37" tire wants an 8.5" wide rim or more, there's some leeway there but that's still 2" wider than factory. I think the tall split ring and limited road speed is the main reason these wider tires work OK on factory rims. With most modern trucks going to bigger and bigger wheels the options available in 17" and 18" rims were higher than for 16" (15" still seems to be the go-to size but that's too small for our trucks).

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The tires I was leaning towards were 37x12x16 Super Swamper SX II. Seems like a good fit for the stock wheels and the truck in general. What are the prices in your area to get mounted on slit rims? I was quoted at 100 dollars per tire for the tube, flap, and installation. That sounds high to me.

For aftermarket wheels...all Trailworthy could build is 4.5" backspacing on their H1 wheels. Boyce makes some but I didn't get an answer as to what the backspacing was. Has anyone put wheels on with 4.5 backspacing?

Comment

It was over a decade ago I had some used tires mounted on the split rims, so I could get the truck mobile, but I want to say that wasn't too far off. You have a good $30-$40 per rim for the tube and flap and then labor, which at the shop I used was two guys with tire hammers.

I used the VPW upgrade rims when I put good rubber on the truck. They were basically exactly what I wanted for the reasons I stated.

Comment

I ran m561 wheels and tires with 3/8" plate centers for years on my last 37..pounded them in the bush and roasted them on the highway..ran them at 22psi..never had an issue..picked mine up from the late Mr.Tomlin in tooele Utah.
            I did many trips to the middle of nowhere with a good friend of mine who also ran a 37.
            Both trucks basicly stock 251 long blocks.
            The only mods were he had the 4.89's and 900-16 ndts. Ran on gas.
            I had 5.83's and 40" tall gama goats..ran on propane, under the cap electronic converted civillian distributor. With a little more base timing. And ran propane.
            On flat ground i had to take the low line through the corners and really hold my foot into it to keep up to him..at the first hill i was up in his tailgate..on the brakes and grabbing 3rd gear to slow down.. In the bush..all i had to do was pick 1st or 2nd low, pull the hand throttle out a couple of clicks and the truck would almost drive its self..just beautiful. He would rev and spin and beat his gear..i would have to wait to grind up with ease.
            Good times chaining up the front axle in july to get to where the fishing is and the people aint.
            My next 37 ..if i could rub the genie bottle..5.83's, arb selectable lockers, a 265 long block and a set of yellow sea 12.50-20 directional tires i cant seem to buy unless i order a 20' container full. ..i know people will complain about chinese tires..i have run their triangle brand 24.5 tires on dump trucks on and off highway and i was really impressed..
            I think someone would have to make a special tool with a j-226385-m style designation to get me out of a truck that was set up like that. The goat wheels had a lot less offset than stock and worked well without any rubbing..dry steering..bring extra shoulders..oh..one more tip..my truck had M43 spring packs and sat a little higher. A 42 might work but would probably rub at full compression.

Comment

Bought the STA Superlug tires for my 1963 M37. Tires tubes liners and install cost me $1350. 8 ply rating tire. Better on the asphalt than the old military tires.
              https://www.performanceplustire.com/...bias-ply-tire/

Comment

Corey,

Sounds like quite a truck. What would you say the backspacing is with Gama Goat wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by outpostm37 View Post
                  Bought the STA Superlug tires for my 1963 M37. Tires tubes liners and install cost me $1350. 8 ply rating tire. Better on the asphalt than the old military tires.
                  https://www.performanceplustire.com/...bias-ply-tire/
                  So around 350 dollars for the tubes and install. Not to bad.

Comment

I sold that truck a couple of years ago..heres a pic to give you an idea of the backspacing.
                    I wish i still had it..lots of great memories in that machine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X