Engine fit - Pg - choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine fit - Pg - choices

I am looking at repowering my 1960 W500 power giant project truck.
    It has a non running LA 318 replacement motor and the stoc NP420 trans, with an adaptor for its PTO to position the winch shaft out to clear things.
    As you all know the PG frame is " pinched" near the engine. The 318's exhaust manifolds are within 1/4 " of the frame.
    Would a 361 fit in there?
    If I used an NP 540 I think I would need the coveted adaptor for the PTO, more rare than a rear belt pulley.
    Need input...

I have seen a Power Giant W500 with a 413 in it, so a big block can be made to fit. I don't know which exhaust manifolds or engine mounts were used though.

Early hemis fit nicely as well.

Comment

Thanks Aaron,
      Wish I could see a photo or two of how they look in that frame.
      I know the '61 and up frames were wider at the engine.
      For example The swept line site, back when the they were selling the 318 poly headers, said they would not work with PG's.

Comment

I have a 354 Chrysler in my 58 W300. I will try to remember to take some pictures when I get it back to the house here. The engine is a snug fit, but it does fit. We ended up clearancing the top of the frame rail just a touch to give the exhaust more room when the engine torques up under load, just in case. I was able to get some factory style truck manifolds, which are a bit larger and freer flowing than the passenger car units. The car manifolds would have cleared just fine.

The hemi heads are wide, but since the exhaust comes out the bottom of the head and the manifolds hug the block, things fit better than you might expect.

I don't have the firsthand experience with the B/RB engines, but someone out there should...

Comment

Aaron I'm curious about the front motor mount you used on the 354. Also the length of the engine since the water pump snout sticks out so far at least on the 354 I have on my shop floor. Did you use the factory rear mounts at the bellhousing? Pictures would be great.

Comment

Ron, mine is a passenger car engine so I was not able to use the truck front mount. Side mounts were fabricated utilizing 70's Chrysler "spool" mounts. Since it was a 315 truck, the factory flywheel, bellhousing, and starter all bolt right up, but fitting a pilot bushing to the passenger car crank was a bit fiddly. The crossmember and bellhousing mounts remain unchanged.

The passenger car water pump is too long to fit in a truck without relocating the radiator forward a fair amount, but the greater issue is that the engine sits so low in the frame that most of the fan would be well below the radiator anyway. I had noticed that the truck water pumps seem to sit up over the engine, but for some reason the very clear and obvious reason for that had never fully occurred to me until I saw the passenger car pump mocked up in a truck... go figure.

I ended up using adapters to convert to a short GM water pump. This required the use of an electric fuel pump and cooling fan, and shortened the front of the engine by an inch or so, which is just enough to allow the radiator to stay where Dodge put it. It also required the use of an aftermarket water crossover, and mounts to run a GM single wire alternator. I had wanted to stay with the generator, but since on the 354 the mounts all bolt to the water pump housing (on the passenger car engines)... you know how it goes. The upshot of all this is that I can now walk in to any parts house in America and just buy a water pump or alternator.

I do believe that if one could acquire a complete 331 or 354 from a heavy Dodge truck, there is a very good chance it might bolt right in to a pickup. I have even heard a legend of a 58 W100 that came from the factory with a 354, power steering, and the pushbutton Loadflyte transmission... although I have yet to lay eyes on this mythical creature.

Comment

Thanks Aaron I have a truck engine so I do have the front mount. I also know about Hot Heads water pump conversion so may have to go that way too. The trick will be hooking it to a cast iron Loadflite since the engine has two single barrel carbs. No idea how the kick down linkage will work yet. This project is a ways down the road. I have another 354 I was thinking of putting in my A100 pick up but again to many paying jobs ahead of it.

Comment

No problem, Ron. I will get pictures eventually... waiting for the brake booster to get back from the rebuilder so I can get the truck back to the house.

Those 2x1's are neat intakes. I considered tracking one down for my engine but decided to stay with the single WCFB since I already had it. Connecting the dual carb linkage to the transmission kickdown should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                X