My 49 is Coming together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 49 is Coming together

Well its been almost 3 years since I last worked on the frame off restoration of my 1949 B1 PW. I left off with a fully functional rolling running chassis replacing everything that was needed, a complete engine rebuild with VPW performance cam and duel webers, rebuilt trans, transfer case, PTO and winch, all new brakes, master cylinder, wheel cylinder and brake lines, new gas line and reconditioned tank, sandblasted every part, (all fame components and other parts painted black) and replacing every nut, bolt, washer with grade 8 yellow zinc (liked the contrast with the black). Below are a few pics of where I left off.

Since I have procrastinated on the sheet metal work I decided to put the original sheet metal back on so I can take all my hard work for a ride. I will get to the body work eventually but got to say I like the look of the old over the new. (Next post will have a few pics to date)
    Attached Files

Where I am at today, have put the last few weeks back into my project, The fenders and running boards are not bolted in yet (waiting for some parts) also waiting for the weatherstripping so I can install windshield. Want to thank VPW and all those on this forum who have helped me.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking forward to hearing how you like your dual Webers. I'm going to install dual Webers (probably the same ones from Langdon?) on my engine and can't wait to experience how the engine performs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
        Looking forward to hearing how you like your dual Webers. I'm going to install dual Webers (probably the same ones from Langdon?) on my engine and can't wait to experience how the engine performs.
        Unfortunately, I will not be able to do a comparison since when I got the truck, the engine was seized so never got to drive it with the stock motor. Additionally, I have never driven a Power Wagon or any truck/car with the flat head six. I will say that the engine has been completed now for a few years and I start it every now and then just to hear it run. It idles very smooth and seems to have great acceleration. The only issue I have is a small hesitation when I quickly punch the throttle. This is most likely just a carb tuning adjustment. I do have a YouTube video of it running and throttling up that I posted for my friends to see. Search YouTube for 1949 B1 PW Comes to Life

Comment

Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'll check out your video, too.

Comment

Nice project keep the pics coming

Comment

Thanks Matt, Thanks Andy, Can not wait to give this truck its first ride in more than 20 years. Just wish I had more time to devote to the build but looks like another 4 1/2 years until retirement :(

Comment

Well, got to start the truck from inside the cab for the first time (first time for the truck in 20 years). Since I do not have the wire harness installed within cab and all three of my gauge clusters are at VPW for a rebuild (told it could take many months) I have two temp gauges (water temp and oil pressure) and two toggle switches (1 for the electric fuel pump and 1 to coil for ignition power).

Felt great to step down on the starter and throttle up with the peddle. Have all the draft pads and floor panels installed, just ran the weatherstripping around front window (will install tomorrow evening) and received the fender welt strips so can bolt up fenders and running boards. Had to order a new Drag Link (the old one was just worn too much at the key-way at Pittman arm, safety thing), need to do a final adjustment to parking brake and install doors at which time the truck will see the road for the first time.

Comment

It's alive!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pismopowerwagon View Post
                    It's alive!!!
                    Awesome! Congrats!
                    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

I can only imagine the smile on you face as you were doing this.

Keep up the great work!
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
                        I can only imagine the smile on you face as you were doing this.

Keep up the great work!
                        There will be a smile after a bit of fear first. Fenders, running boards and windshield all bolted up great. All that's left, doors, drag link and hit the road.

The truck is currently on jack stands so I could make final adjustments to breaks. Anyone think its a bad idea to start up and run through the gears while on stands? Also thought about putting it in low gear and stepping on the brakes to see if I could kill engine (would give me a since of security on the brakes). My garage has a 150 ft 30 deg down driveway into a cross street and ditch across so need brakes right off the bat.

Comment

Hello all, well a couple of more days (when not at work) on the truck. I now have fenders, running boards, windshield and most of interior parts (thanks for Matt's help) installed. Have checked Brakes, linkages and other running gear parts and adjusted hand brake. All that's left before I can drive is waiting on my new (used) Drag Link. The floor pans are not as rusted as photos show (the flash just picked up everything).

On order still: New headliner kit, both lower kick panels, gauge restoration, springs for glove box (get rid of the blue tape) and a few other misc. parts.

ps: Does anyone recognize the Logo on the door? Do not know anything about the trucks past. Only know that it came with a very large front boom that worked off winch, don't plan on reattaching to truck.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I do not recognize the logo, It sure is coming together quick for you. Very nice work!
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks Matt, I was able to spend time on it over the last few weeks but my Trap Shooting season is starting this Saturday so I will be tied up every weekend until mid July so the pace will slow down. Sure wish I had the time to do the sheet metal work (after seeing Tim's photos and Todd's work getting done on both his trucks) but this will give me something to do in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X