Help Mounting Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Mounting Cab

Hello all, it's been over 6 years since I introduced myself and started this project, ref http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=13987. It has been in my lower garage where I tinker with it every now and then. now up to date information and a question.

I have completed my fully functional rolling running chassis. Replaced every nut. bolt. washer, shim, gear and the list go's on forever. I attached a few pics of my completed work on my original thread "1st Power Wagon" so would not let me attach them again here.

I am now back at it (after a couple of years off) and working on the sheet metal. I am getting ready to mount cab, have the new front wood blocks and bolts but can not find a source for the springs that mount over 3 of the bolts under frame mounts. Anyone have a source for these or dimensions (spring length, dia, wire dia. spring rate) so that I may find something online that may work? Could really use a couple of pics of the mounting (both front and rear). When I got the truck it just had stacks of rubber used but I want to do it right. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a couple sets that I will see what information i can provide for you tomorrow. Spring rate maybe a little difficult as I have no way of measuring at the moment and do not know if the springs are still working to orginal specs.

I also will check to see if the two sets are identical.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd M View Post
      I have a couple sets that I will see what information i can provide for you tomorrow. Spring rate maybe a little difficult as I have no way of measuring at the moment and do not know if the springs are still working to orginal specs.

I also will check to see if the two sets are identical.
      Thanks Tod. The spring rate may be related to the spring dia and wire dia. If you do get a chance to measure the length, wire dia (if you have calipers), spring dia and number of coils in its length then I should be able to find something on the internet. Really appreciate it.

Tex

Comment

Tex
        Here is what I found out this morning. Both were identical which leads me to believe they are original but I could be wrong.

Springs
        3-13/16" x 1-1/8" or 1-1/16" depending on who's measuring. Photo shows 1-1/16"
        Wire diameter 3/16".

All were taken by tape measure as I was unable to find my calipers. I will do some additional searching today but I said I would get it to you this morning and this is what I have.

Bolts lengths are 7-1/2" and 6-1/8". The short one without a spring is 3-3/4" and a different diameter; do not know if this a replacement or not.

I hope this helps. If not I hope someone with more knowledge
        Attached Files

Comment

Additional photo

12 coils as you can see
          Attached Files

Comment

Diameter
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Todd M View Post
              Tex
              Here is what I found out this morning. Both were identical which leads me to believe they are original but I could be wrong.

Springs
              3-13/16" x 1-1/8" or 1-1/16" depending on who's measuring. Photo shows 1-1/16"
              Wire diameter 3/16".

All were taken by tape measure as I was unable to find my calipers. I will do some additional searching today but I said I would get it to you this morning and this is what I have.

Bolts lengths are 7-1/2" and 6-1/8". The short one without a spring is 3-3/4" and a different diameter; do not know if this a replacement or not.

I hope this helps. If not I hope someone with more knowledge
              Tod

This was very helpful and the pics were spot on. The one shorter thicker Bolt is correct since it mounts on the front right (passenger side) without a spring as a fixed mounting point. The longer Bolt is left front W spring and the Two slightly shorter bolts with springs are the rear (at least this is what is called out for in my manual).

I did a complete frame off restoration including replacement of every nut bolt, washer, seal (you name it), sand blasted and painted every part and took pictures of the whole process so if you ever run into a problem, let me know and I may have a pic of it. (did not take pics of cab disassemble for some reason and it did not have these springs???

Thanks again.

Comment

The below YouTube is a short vid of when I first started my PW after 20 years of sitting with a seized motor. If it does not open the YouTube is named 1949 B1 PW Comes to Life

https://youtu.be/q0lbExUWuIc

Comment

Tex
                  The caliper is giving me .22" on avg for wire diameter. I hope this helps.

Your YouTube video sounds great and can not wait to hear mine again.

Todd

Comment

Todd, thanks for all your help. I was able to find some good used springs at Midwest Military for a decent price. They were the only outfit that had these springs.

Comment

Working...
                    X