Trail Vehicle Must-have's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Vehicle Must-have's

I thought it would be fun to see what you folks bring with you on your expeditions...I'll start the list:

Spare Tire/Tire Iron/Lug Nuts/Jack
    Spare U-joints
    Shovels!
    Tire Chains
    Come-along/straps
    Spare ECU/Plugs/Carb parts/Fuses/ECU/ballast resistor/fuel filter/etc.
    Cans of Ether in case of flooded engine
    Spare fuel
    Fire Ext.
    Wheel Chocks
    Neoprene gloves (for unexpected surgery)
    Hand Cleaner/Rags
    Socket/Wrench set
    Tool box with misc electrical stuff, pliers, dykes, screwdrivers, etc.
    Pistol/Cartridges
    Spare socks/gloves/hat/blanket
    Battery Jumper Pack
    Tire changing iron (old school)
    Chain saw/sledge/ax/wedges

Things I need to install:

Warn M8000 winch/snatch block/various winching accessories
    Hi-lift jack
    -Thinking of getting a battery booster pack with an air compressor
    -Spare pivot pins for the steering knuckles? Tools to support this repair as well.

What else am I missing?

Pretty soon we will have two trucks ready to rock in our fleet so hopefully some of this stuff will be split up between two rigs. Usually food and camping supplies are brought also....

Interested to hear your thoughts on this!

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

nessasarys

two or three shackles to tie the snatch straps together for more lenght if needed. and to do things with the hi-lift if needed. I have several of different sizes in my trail box. they work well on the pintle too. Dave.

Comment

Perfect! I will work off of this list to get my trail rig in order. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Good Stuff

Tow Strap or spare tow chain w/ movable hooks to use along w/ the Hy-Lift Jack?

Comment

I've always found the most important thing to bring is a positive attitude and a smile. With those on hand, a solution to any problem can be found.

I've always found that carrying spare parts has more of a psycological impact than a phsyical one. The more stuff I carried, the less worry I have about trying crazy obstacles offroad. That being said, I grew tired of holding up the group while I fixed what-ever had popped in hip deep muddy water. That gets really old in a hurry, no matter where you are. Now I pack really lightly and just practice good driving finesse, and haven't had a major breakdown since.

I carry an ammo can of tools both metric and standard - basic stuff nothing extravagant, BFH, Wrenches, Sockets, Bailing wire, duct tape....
            Some general wiring repair tools - crimpers, connectors, pliers, roll of wire...
            1 20' tow rope
            1 10' chain
            1 6' tree saver strap
            2 snatch blocks
            A couple of assorted shackles.
            shovel
            axe or polaski
            bow saw
            On board Air and a Warn M8000 winch
            Tire pressure guage
            Spare valve stems
            First aid kit - Small one
            GPS and a map book
            Hunting knife
            Spare wheel bearings, packed in grease, sealed in a ziplock

I"ve never blown a ujoint so I don't bother to carry them - I do carry spare ujoint flange bolts though, as I've lost one or two on several occasions.

Wd40
            Brake fluid
            Electrical contact cleaner (computer safe)
            Old carpet runner - good for laying on the ground to lay upon.
            Any specific tools - Special hub wrench, etc...
            A 4x4 club membership card - Cause they will show up to drag my A** out when I'm dumb enough to go out alone.

And the most important thing of all - Some common sense...

Comment

country boy survival

I always bring something to build a fire with, can't ever tell when you will have to dry off. in cold weather it's very important. I keep a fire starter kit with a flint&steel box w/char clothe & tender, and several butane lighters, and some strike any where matches. estwing makes a small axe that lives in my box, along w/ tire changing stuff. I have a wool survival blanket and a 8x8 canvas tarp under the seat. pwdave.

Comment

ummm forgot about the Beer, oh and a chainsaw. with extra long tow straps. incase your stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no help, no cell service, just three people... climb a tree, wrap tow straps reall high, fall the tree... works great. haha

Comment

Ok,My list but it goes for on road stuff as well.
                  1)Flares,fuses good for signaling,fire starting,self defence(sulfer burns at 1300 degrees just flick the burning flare at the threat)
                  2)Sears/Craftsman black fold up tool kit.Real complete metric/standard
                  3)Jumper cables
                  4)Big first aid kit,you really just never know.
                  5)Solar blankets,those folded up and sealed in a package till you need one kind.
                  6)H K USP Compact
                  7)Buck 319 Rancher,Cold steel Ready edge,has a sheath with a clip to hang off the zipper on your Carhart.
                  8)DRY SOCKS
                  9)Red lumber flags that you staple on over length loads.
                  10)winch stuff,tree wraps,snatch block,chains,not real big on snatch straps.Sun breaks them down,don't play well with others
                  11)Fenceing pliers

Comment

Sounds like the stuff that I have to take every day. I drive far enough on county blacktop that I need to be prepared for just about anything.

Basic hand tools.
                    Electrical kit.
                    Extra fluids.
                    Piece of carpet.
                    And a few spare parts.

I'm on my fourth Dakota, so I can 'fix on the fly' quick enough. Kinda know what to look for, too. Unfortunately, I can drop the tank and swap the fuel pump in less than 30 minutes. A little too much expierence with those.

Winter kit has the usual blanket, shovel, sand, extra food. I keep a strap, chain, and winch in case anyone needs pulled from a ditch. Wouldn't believe how many of those I've done in the last decade or so.

It all amounts to two small cases and a toolbox. Helps to have an Xcab so everything fits behind the seat. If I were to pack anything more for off road, it would be an extra winch and a mobile home stake to use as an anchor if there isn't a tree close enough. I once dropped my ATV into a water rut while I was skirting a pond. It was too heavy for me to lift out (DEEP rut, all weeded over) and that stake came in handy. It wasn't intentional then; I just happened to have it in my truck. Worked well. They make a good tie out stake for the pup, too.

I've got a first aid kit, too. Bout have to have one of those.

Comment

I may have overlooked this somewhere above.

BOTTLED WATER

bucky

Comment

This is what I carry in the Jeep:

CB Radio
                        Warn 9000lbs rated winch
                        Hi-lift jack
                        30' tow strap (chains can break and turn into shrapnel reall quick)
                        Shackles
                        Tool box with just about everything I need for trail fixes
                        Assorted replacement parts (thing I've learned through experience to have)
                        Spare tie rod
                        Spare drive-shaft
                        Large medic kit (everything from aspirin to IV fluids and C-collar)
                        CO2 tank for airing tires/running air tools
                        Food/water
                        Colt M1911/.45ACP w/spare mags
                        Wet weather gear
                        Jacket
                        Cell phone

Most importantly, I never hit the trail alone. It's always a good idea to have a buddy along in another vehicle.

Comment

i bring a snatch strap a clevis and a heavy right foot and 537 hp

Comment

I am going to second the posters who mentioned large(er) first aid kits. In fact, if going to remote areas where winching and harzardous terrain is found, you might think of having one vehicle with a trauma bag.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ght=trauma+kit

Here's an example of why you might need one.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=fall

Always plan for the worst possible scenario and pack acordingly (within reason) Get trained in trail first aid and CPR. Good comms are important too, and if you are off where there is no cell signal, a sat phone is nice to have, though $$.

Comment

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned toilet paper!!

Comment

Working...
                              X