Drift for inner front axle bronze bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift for inner front axle bronze bushing

I am soon to be sending my short inner front axle off to have the area in way of the failed seal built-up, machined and a new bronze bushing fitted due to some pitting in that area. A friend of mine is going to machine me a new drift to install the new bushing. Should I have him make it out of bronze, the same material as the new bushing, brass or just mild steel? Thanks to all who put out enough information over the years so that my catalog of past posts has made this job a road map!.....Keith.

Mild steel.

Answering questions is our purpose here....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Mild steel it is. Thanks Gordon!

Comment

Make sure you don't make the OD of the driver too big or it will not come out due to bushing compression at time of installation.

Comment

I plan on making the pilot portion of it .005" smaller than the inside diameter of the bronze bushing (is this small enough?) and not too long so as not to interfere in length with the inboard seal, and smaller than the outside diameter of the old bushing I removed so as not to interfere with the axle housing. This would leave me with a circumferential shoulder that pushes the bushing of about .5" Overall length of drift 12'". I think 2.5" diameter stock would be fine. I don't have the bushing measurements in front of me at the moment. I'm open to any suggestions.....Keith.

Comment

I just raised this question again with someone I recently discussed it all with — he said he thought the diameter reduced by about .006 in.. He thought he might be doing another one next week to verify.

To be safe — in this moment — I believe I would measure the bushings, find the smallest one if one is smaller, and go .015 in. less than that.

Comment

Drift for inner front axle bushing

Thanks Gordon!

Comment

Originally posted by Hartman View Post
                I am soon to be sending my short inner front axle off to have the area in way of the failed seal built-up, machined and a new bronze bushing fitted due to some pitting in that area. A friend of mine is going to machine me a new drift to install the new bushing. Should I have him make it out of bronze, the same material as the new bushing, brass or just mild steel? Thanks to all who put out enough information over the years so that my catalog of past posts has made this job a road map!.....Keith.
                Hi Keith, I know this thread is way old, but I'm wondering if you can give me details on your axle shaft repair. I'm looking at the possibility of building up the seal and bushing areas of my front axle shafts, and it would be nice to have footsteps to follow. What type of process was it, how much did it cost and how did it turn out?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X