Were To Get TIRES ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were To Get TIRES ?

I have combed the internet looking for 1100rX16 or 900X16 tires for the last week, called Michelin directly, called the MVPA, called all the tire shops within 25 miles, Called the us army(long shot but still gave it a try), came up with nothing. Does anyone have a lead on some rubber with at least 50% tread or know of a new rim that looks like the old ones so I can get some tires.

Did you try

Coker Tire? www.coker.com
    Wallace Wade? www.wallacewade.com
    Lucas Automotive? 800 735-0166

It should be fairly easy to get tires, flaps and tubes.......good luck

Comment

Virtually any 16" tire will fit on the budd wheel, from super swampers to yokohama's. Try looking for tires in the 35" tall range or metric size of 305/85/r16. Almost alll manufacturer's make tires in these sizes, some come in bias ply construction, while others offer both radial and bias.

Super Swamper TSL - 34x9x16 - similar to 9.00x16 size)
      Super Swamper LTB - 34x10.50x16 Bias M/t
      Super Swamper comes in a Q78-16 (35.5"x10.0x16) bias M/T
      Super Swamper SSR - 35x10.50x16 M/T Radial
      Super Swamper Bogger - 38.5x11.00x16 Bias M/T (similar to 1100/16 size)
      Denman Buckshot comes in a 305x85x16 (36x10.50x16) radial M/T
      Denman Coyote 305x85x16 - Radial A/T
      Goodyear MT/R - 37x12.50x16 - Radial A/T (military surplus is easily found)

These are just off the top of my head. Super Swampers will wear quickly under the weight of an M37, but thier perfomance offroad will not be matched by any other tire manufacturer. A good everyday tire would be the goodyear MTR or the Coyote, both are radials, but the goodyear is more aggressive, but mild enough for street use (its commonly found on Mil.spec hummers).
      The yokohama geolander A/T (I think) is also regularly recomended around this site. I have no personal experience with them, but they do build an excellent tire.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Andrew,
        I hate to give up a secret Tire source But..... I feel your frustration!
        GAY Tire Moultrie GA 1-229-985-7656. Good Luck, they should have what you are looking for!
        Rich Szklany

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew McConathy View Post
          I have combed the internet looking for 1100rX16 or 900X16 tires for the last week, called Michelin directly, called the MVPA, called all the tire shops within 25 miles, Called the us army(long shot but still gave it a try), came up with nothing. Does anyone have a lead on some rubber with at least 50% tread or know of a new rim that looks like the old ones so I can get some tires.
          Just my honest opinion based on experience, nothing more or less

Yokohama LT315-75R16 radial is the best we have used on a M37. Truely round, easy to balance, and great longivity. The M/T has a plenty aggressive off road tread, also runs great on highway. The A/T is more an all season on highway tread.

As for Super Swampers, I simply can't give them a plug. They are without a doubt the worst tires we've run on an M37. Not round, impossible to balance, and just all around junk in my opinion. They hop down the highway instead of rolling. I wouldn't offer what they ask for a set of 4 if they gave me a train load. I said this was an honest opinion, maybe some had better luck. The ones we tried were Q78-16, a perfect size for size replacement of the 9.00X16 original.

Comment

Charles, may I ask how long ago you tried the Super Swampers? I've had several sets of the bias versions (36x12.50x15) and have run them for years without issue. They are even glass smooth on the highway, and balanced without much issue. I will admit though that I know several people who have had issues (with varying sizes). Perhaps I've just been lucky. Swampers are designed for offroad performance though, ride and drive on the street was secondary in thier design. The newer radial swampers will definetely have better street manners than the bias tires.

I found the best way to run them is to have them match balanced on a Hunter balancer machine. The machine finds the imbalances in both the tire and wheel. The technician then dismounts the tire and rotates it on the rim to offset the imbalances against each other. The tire is then rebalanced and weights are added as needed.

Swampers are a heavy tire with beefy construction, and if any of the suspension or steering is worn, they do have the ability to amplify an existing problem. They are not a tire for everybody, but they are still an option, and they come in so many different sizes and tread patterns, that one is bound to work and be somewhat civil on the road.

Comment

Done with Swampers

It has been several years since I ran Swampers, hopefully they have improved their product, there was certainly a need for that. My truck was excellent mechanically bumper to bumper. The issue was definitely in the tires. I went back to the dealer who saw how out of round they were. They even replaced a couple as there was no way to deal with it otherwise. The replacements weren't an ounce better. My experience was just that, someone elses may be a much better experience. I do know I'll never run another Swamper, as they made a believer out of me. Yokohamas are so much better quality tire, day and night difference would not be a fair comparision. Have installed many sets of Yokohama M/T radials on trucks we have built for others. To date, all have loved them, not one complaint any way, shape, or form. No way would I install Swampers on a customers truck unless they signed a wavier releasing us from any liabilities to do with tires.

Comment

What about STA's?
                http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html
                VPW has them in their catalog.
                I was thinking of putting some on my truck. A little pricey, but I've heard good things about them.

Comment

My Supper Swamper Radials I have on my M have been great. Round, and have not had to balance them. I did take my time and mount them on my bead locks with great care to be sure they were centered. I've run down the road at 60 and had no bounce or vibrations.
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                    What about STA's?
                    http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html
                    VPW has them in their catalog.
                    I was thinking of putting some on my truck. A little pricey, but I've heard good things about them.
                    I have not run tested STA's, so really have no input as far as how they might be. We do have a '49 PW here now that has a new set on it. They are a good looking tire and appear to be of a design that would run well on road and in moderate off roading. I don't believe they would be great in extreme off roading, not aggressive enough. As far as a recommendation, I would say go with a radial design in a high quality brand name, you will be much happier I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                      I went back to the dealer who saw how out of round they were. The replacements weren't an ounce better. My experience was just that, someone elses may be a much better experience.
                      I had the same experience with Super Swampers and Boggers bias ply tires. Never tried with Interco Radials myself.
                      I think the radial construction against bias ply would make a difference in roundness, but I also think why bother to try them if I can use tried and true tires like Yokos M/T and BF Goodrichs M/T and A/T (I'm using both).

Of course those are more road intended tires, for hardcore mud bogging (not my case) I would probably go with something more like pro-comps Extremes or Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T. I know I would NEVER spend my money on an Interco tire again even if many forum known guys like W.A. tells they got a good round set. Tires are expensive, shipping to South America even worst and not refundable so I will go for sure.
                      Besides the improved ride the looks are great

Just my 0.2

Comment

Ahhh.... Nothing stirs up controversy and debate like a discussion about tires... :)

Juan do you have access to the SIMEX brand tires down there? They have been compared to the Interco tires for performance, but seem to be more popular. I'm thinking the popularity might have something to do with them being a better built tire? Or just better availability? We don't have access to them up here as they don't meet DOT regulations. The aussies seem to love them and they are regularly featured on expeditionary type trips.

I thinking of trying a new set of Pitbull tires on my M37. I've read some very positive reviews and their pricing isn't to bad either. They offer 3 distinct tread patters from "somewhat" mild to Wild, and they seem to be taking the competition by storm. They offer a multitude of sizes (although they do appear to be a little wide) to fit just about any sized wheel and fenderwell. They also come in radial and bias construction.

Comment

Working...
                        X