Brake Booster for Drum/Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
    Mine should be a: Hydravac Brake Booster Part Number: NBB 518031 or NBB 518020

Part Number: NBB 518031
    Attributes: Cylinder Diameter : 11 1/2"
    Inlet Port Size : 1/4"
    OE Manufacturer : Midland
    Outlet Port Size : 1/4" Inverted Flare
    Overall Length : 16 1/8"
    Vacuum Port Size : 1/2" PIPE

Part Number: NBB 518020
    Attributes: Cylinder Diameter : 12 1/2"
    Inlet Port Size : 1/2"
    OE Manufacturer : Bendix
    Outlet Port Size : 1/4"
    Overall Length : 15"
    Vacuum Port Size : 3/8"

If needed I can take a picture and e-mail it to you.
    Thank you very much . Very good info.
    Alan in Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
      Mine should be a: Hydravac Brake Booster Part Number: NBB 518031 or NBB 518020

Part Number: NBB 518031
      Attributes: Cylinder Diameter : 11 1/2"
      Inlet Port Size : 1/4"
      OE Manufacturer : Midland
      Outlet Port Size : 1/4" Inverted Flare
      Overall Length : 16 1/8"
      Vacuum Port Size : 1/2" PIPE

Part Number: NBB 518020
      Attributes: Cylinder Diameter : 12 1/2"
      Inlet Port Size : 1/2"
      OE Manufacturer : Bendix
      Outlet Port Size : 1/4"
      Overall Length : 15"
      Vacuum Port Size : 3/8"

If needed I can take a picture and e-mail it to you.
      Great info!! Thanks

Comment

You guys are welcome, always happy to be able to help.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Here is one on a Power Wagon. Looks to be period correct if not a factory item.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v...ff/booster.jpg

Comment

Here's Mine

it's mounted on a cross member.

From the rear.

Comment

65 MPH? Time to run the numbers on your axle ratio...

My 57 Town Wagon PW has 4.89 gears in it and I did a little computation of what my cruise is going to be.... 318 V8 also.
              29" tire dia:
              MPH RPM
              30 = 1700
              40 = 2200
              50 = 2800
              60 = 3400
              70 = 3950

33" dia tire:
              30 = 1500
              60 = 3000
              70 = 3500

The original 300 x 17.5 tires were 30" dia. The engine rpm is going to limit my road speed long before the need for horsepower. The 4000 rpm at 70 really sobered me up. The crawl to Iowa is going to be a slow drive when I get it up and road worthy.

And 3.55 gears won't happen in the near future.
              DrPepper

Comment

Thanks for the info and pictures guys! Haven't been on for a few days but this is really going to help when trying to figure out how to attack. Much appreciated.

Comment

My M37 came to me with a vacuum booster mounted under the passenger seat with the battery.

It worked fine, but I went to 4 wheel disc brakes so I don't need it. Got it sitting in the garage if someone wants pics, or needs a booster. Can't vouch for how well it'll work now, it's been out of the truck for about 3 years but has been in the garage the whole time.

I gotta say the 4 wheel disk brakes are the cats meow though, I used the ugly trucking kit front and rear, used the master cylinder they recommended in the stock under floor location with stock brake pedal, no power booster at all, and it works really really well. I did put in check valves and an adjustable proportioning valve though.

Comment

You may want to hang onto that booster for a while yet. I love 4-wheel disc, however you will find that they will not stop a loaded truck well without a booster in the system. Ray Suiter will tell you the same thing in fact. Only fair to moderate braking ability will be achieved using 4- wheel disc unless you have it.

Just a heads up, maybe you have not driven at 50 MPH with a few hundred #'s in the bed yet.

Comment

It sounds like you are happy with the disc brakes. You mean you dont miss the excitement of desperatly standing on the pedal to stop when they get hot , boy what a boring drive it must be. Snicker...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                        It sounds like you are happy with the disc brakes. You mean you dont miss the excitement of desperatly standing on the pedal to stop when they get hot , boy what a boring drive it must be. Snicker...
                        Nope, won't miss it. They work quite well, almost tossed the kid at the inspection station into the windshield when he rode along and told me to make a hard stop from 30..

I couldn't use the old booster on these brakes though even if I wanted to, it's a single line single circuit booster for the old single circuit brake master cylinder, the master cylinder in it now is a dual circuit. I would have to go with a more modern solution.

It used to have a Mico brake lock as well I can't use any more unless I hook it up to just the front brakes.

I also replaced all the old brake lines with a new custom set I fabbed up, all new and modern stem to stern.

Comment

Actually you can use the booster you have in a dual circuit system. We have done many using a booster in each circuit, performs like a dream. Easy to do without taking the M/C out of its original location. You can do it with one booster by relocating to the firewall set up, but not worth the trouble unless you desire a hanging pedal type of system.

Comment

I would likely want to buy two new boosters if I wanted to go that way, it would likely be cheaper to just buy a dual circuit remote booster if I go that route and save space while I'm at it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
                              I would likely want to buy two new boosters if I wanted to go that way, it would likely be cheaper to just buy a dual circuit remote booster if I go that route and save space while I'm at it.
                              Do you have a brand name and part# to offer us for that dual circuit REMOTE mounted booster?

Comment

Nope, I can point ya at a couple of web sites though. I didn't chase it down past that. Not yet at least.

I looked at a few options when thinking about possible brake boosting. This one seemed like maybe hard to get, and harder to get parts for if it failed later. Seems like two diaphragms in one can opposing each other.

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_...ake-Servo.html

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/dual-remote-servo/

I have seen a few guys blogs who installed them and they seem to work fine, about a 2:1 boost.

I also ran across a Bendix part number, 2509 140 that seemed like it was a dual circuit brake booster, basically a back to back hydrovac twin diaphragm setup called a duovac that was used in some late 60's early 70's Ford heavy trucks. I didn't chase it down either but thats what I would chase down first for a vacuum booster as it is listed in a few parts catalogs like powerbrakes.com and dsparts.com catalogs, but I would need better specs on it to make sure it's what I would want. I would think parts availability would be better too.

Then there's the ABS remote electric/hydraulic setup that's made for dual circuit brakes, as well as for their under floor mounted master cylinder which they also have with a remote reservoir you can mount under hood.. Dunno exactly how well I would trust it though I suppose if the pump goes out you still have unboosted brakes.

Seems like a real clean setup though.

Here's a pic of how it sets up...

And an article showing the under floor master cylinder with remote reservior installation. They offer under floor fill and under floor remote reservoir setups.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...kes/index.html

I have looked at a lot of possible brake boosting setups, but for now my brakes seem to be working just fine without boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X