58 m37 rear axle no drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 m37 rear axle no drive

I recently purchased a 1958 m37. I drove it around the block in 2 wheel drive. I slowed for a stop sign and preacher stopped into 2nd gear heard a clunk and no drive. I limped home in front wheel drive and began to eliminate where the problem lies. Transmission shifts fine, transfer case shifts, and no linkage issues. When in 2 wheel drive the rear drive shaft turns, however no drive. What may be the problem?

Broken axle?

Comment

Yes, it's most likely a broken axle, it's unlikely the differential went on you, but if the rear driveshaft is turning and the wheels aren't those are the only two pieces in between. Strange that it broke based on the use you described, it was probably in trouble before.

Being a full floating axle it's not horribly difficult to pull one and check. I think the short side is more likely to break as there is less length for it to twist.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

the long side broke. I have tried retrieving the broken piece through the axle housing without success. Do you need to remove the differential housing to get at the broken piece? Any order of operation would be helpful. thanks.

Comment

Depends on where it broke. If at or near the splines, pull the differential and retrieve from there. If longer, there is a treick with a stick and a rear earth magnet, or a stick and a strong wire in a spiral that might work.
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I have had great success with a metal coat hanger. Or number nine wire with a loop in it the size of the axle shaft.
              Like Will says though. It depends on where it broke.
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

The absolute smartest thing to do is pull the diff from the housing for a good cleaning. How you go about that will vary, if it broke near the spline, no problem, just pull it out. If the break is mid stream somewhere, then you may have to retrieve the broken piece before you can get the unit out. Any how, axles are hardened steel alloy, and usually shatter similar to glass when a break occurs. Almost always a broken shaft will release small chards of metal into the oil. As oil circulates through the unit, metal particles in suspension cause bearing damage as well as grinding away at gear teeth, thrust washers, etc., within the unit. The smart thing to do is to clean all this stuff out of the diff and the housing in an effort to prevent further damage. If left in there, for sure it will cause damage in the future. Simply draining the oil will not get the bad stuff out as M37 axle housings do not allow for a complete drain of all oil. I have seen a few catastrophic failures occur as a result of not cleaning the metal out. With differentials being a really high $$$ unit to rebuild, to me the certain collateral damage at some point down the road isn't worth the risk.

Comment

Working...
                X